Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Range sheep

Default Brooks Range sheep

Just got home after a week in the Brooks Range. We killed two nice rams. Mine was just under 37" with 13.5" bases, perfectly symmetrical with perfect horn tips, 10 years old. My hunting partners were a friend and his 17 year old son. His son killed a nice ram that was just over 37" on one side and broomed on the other, nine years old. He shot his ram from about 50 yards. Great weather and a great hunt. Pictures to follow after I get caught up...

Default Brooks

Weird how weather can be so much different in different parts of a range. For our Brooks hunt last week the weather was way bad. Congrats on the rams.

Show me the hogs!

Congrats!

Troy

Default catch up already

It's been an hour since you started this thread. You have to be caught up by now. Where are the pics and the rest of the story Congrats on a successful hunt. I will be waiting for the pics and story.

Default The popcorn is waiting.

Yep, you've been home long enough! Lets get that story and pics going. Don't forget rifle/caliber setup. Did all the camping equipment work?
    Thanks in advance.

Default a few pics...

Here are a few pics. We killed the sheep on the 13th after first spotting them on the 9th. They were in a group of seven rams. We killed them at 4:00 pm and got back to camp tired and happy at 3:00 am. Saw a couple of nice grizzlies before the 10th and only a sow and two cubs after the season opened. Saw a couple of wolves as well and no other hunters. I was using a .270 (150 nosler partition) and this fine young man was using a 30-06 (some sort of winchester 180 ballistic tip type bullet). All the gear worked real well. Hilleberg Nallo 2GT is a great tent. My new Western Mountaineering Alpinlite sleeping bag was really wonderful as well. I did have a problem with my achilles tendons swelling up and had to cut the padding out of the back of my boots to make more room. Never had that problem before.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    Weird how weather can be so much different in different parts of a range. For our Brooks hunt last week the weather was way bad. Congrats on the rams.
    That is strange. We had some fog one morning and some moderate rain one night. Other than that it was in the 40s and partly cloudy during the day dipping into the 30s at night with just the occasional little shower up high. After we killed the rams it cleared a little and was warmer during the day and about 30 at night (thankfully).

Default Congrats

Congrats and thanks for sharing the photos, I had a trip planned then the wife got permoted last minute and had to go to Texas and PA for training. Also, glad to see a young man (17) insterested in hunting. Great Job.

Terry

Congrats on the rams. Looks like it was an awesome trip.

Those are beautiful rams Chisana, congrats!! By the way, are either of you fellas from Eagle River or Kodiak??

Default Congrats

Chisana, you're getting older is all <grin>. But you're still getting out into the backcountry and doing it and my hat's off to ya. Congrats on a successful hunt and hope those tendons heal up quick,

Default Nice

Nice rams. Congrats. Was this the young man's first sheep?

Very nice Ram's! It's great to see folk's getting the next generation out in the field, that big grin he's wearing say's it all............WTG!

Default rams

Nice work! Love it---two beautiful rams.

Default Nicely done

Forrest,
    Nice Ram! Looks like you have been logging in some training hours, too! Congratulations. Just got back from the AK range, we had 2 hunters, got two rams. My hunter's was 37" other clients went 36". I will get some pics posted as well.

Hope all is well with you.

Later

Thumbs up

Fantastic !!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Beautiful rams. Nice job.

congrats on the rams.

Default awesome!

Great job guys!

Default Fantastic Job

It is great that you got that kid into the mountains. You can see it in his eyes that he's hooked for life.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast