Thread: Beginner Help

Default Beginner Help

Hello to all here,

Believe it or not, I have lived my entire life in Alaska and up until last year, I had never hunted waterfowl... always did my grouse and ptarmigan to sate the appetite for birdies. Anyhow, last year I decided I was going to try, mind you this was on Sept 2nd, so my level of preparation and research was pathetic to say the least. I got 2 ducks and 0 geese as a result... actually I should say I SHOT 2 ducks and 0 geese - total rounds fired = 3. My first duck was a pathetically small runt of a midget litter, 2 bites but tasted great. I just did a reactive snapshot as 3 went blazing past overhead and never even checked for size - simply a moment of brain logic being: Duck? Yes = Shoot!

My second duck, I shot quite perfectly over a small pond, it splashed down and I scurried out from my little bit of brush that I had stalked it from to get in my boat and go collect my prize, long story short - an Osprey beat me to it. Within 10 seconds of my duck hitting the water, the osprey had it and was hauling it off, needless to say it took all I had to keep myself from satisfying my curiosity about what osprey taste like... I worked soooo hard for that one duck! I have heard of Turducken, but what about Osduck - thinking I will try to refrain from finding out.

Anyhow, enough history, this year I am determined to plan much better. I have a small go-devil on a 16 foot boat so I can cruise pretty much ANYWHERE. I am well practiced with my shotgun and know my range limits... but need some advice on locations and general tactics, as well as a good website or book with pictures to help me identify the kind of duck/goose I manage to shoot. (I know emperor geese by heart now having made sure to memorize the description and pictures so as not to accidentally shoot one last year, but the rest are just geese to me). Lastly, once shot, what is the best method of cleaning the bird/plucking the feathers, I really want to leave the skin on to try for the extra flavor and grease.

I have both a duck call and a goose call now, wondering if I should invest in a dozen duck decoys or so. Any thoughts?

Also, I spent last year trying to pass-shoot/ jump my ducks, I learned that ducks are tough to stalk. Would it be worth it to turn my boat into a blind for duck season? I have always been an active hunter, preferring to find my game rather than have my game find me... suggestions and such would be very much appreciated!

Any and all help WELCOME... I live in the Fairbanks area so any ideas close to home are more than appreciated.

pm sent.......

Check out Ducks Unlimited web page. Duck Hunting is an expensive sport so plan accordingly. Deks are a must. Stash you boat then hide in the weeds use an old bucket to sit on. Toss some deks and leave a big hole for em to land. The only way to get better is to hunt em. "Calling=Very important". Good luck this year

Default Thanks

Thanks Kuma,

I am looking into picking up a dozen decoys to get me started and then will add to the species I have as time goes on. Already have the calls but need to spend some time at the Ducks Unlimited site and get familiar with how to call so I sound like some sort of quack (pun intended).

Thanks for the info and the good luck wishes...

You might want to learn to ID ducks. Some ducks are not good to eat! LOL
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post Fairbanks - Opener

I'm not from Fairbanks, but a couple of years ago I found myself in town during the season opener - talked with F&G and was told that a decent place was Farmers Loop near Shuros
    Coords: 64.886135, -147.771888

There are a couple of ponds out there. Sounded a bit like world war III had started, but - I was bouncing between a couple of ponds - and was the only human doing so. Decent numbers of ducks.

As I said, no secret spot - but if you live in Fairbanks, seems to be pretty close, to let you setup dekes and practice calling - might even whack a duck or two.

Of course, Cramers field sure would be an easy hunt

Default creamers feild

well those pond back there on farmers loop are on the back side of creamers field so first couple days its really a pretty good spot to go but lots of other hunters there also like he said