Thread: Caribou hunting courtesy of your tax dollars.

Default Caribou hunting courtesy of your tax dollars.

Spent the night at a lovely spot here on the seward pen. Nice bunk house, bath house with hot and cold running water.........and all in the middle of nowhere. Here's a pic of a friends kid I took along in front of the bunkhouse, with the bath house in back. The steam you see rising is the hot water............a natural hot springs:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default that night.

The camp, and the associated runway (we flew in there in my plane) are maintained with your tax dollars. Most of the folks that use the place take good care of it also.
    Spent the night, after a soak in the hot tub, with visions of caribou dancing in our heads. Seen a bear that night too. Having some really good weather lately, which usually meand night time fog in this area. Here's another pic showing the fog forming:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Next day

Woke up to some pretty thick fog, but the sun took care of that. Took a hike up the valley. Was kinda hoping to find the bear still grazing on berries. Sure as shootin............we did. But ol martentrapper didn't have his thinking cap on, and the bear sighted us and booked over the rise. Followed along the same direction........just in case..........lo and behold, heres a group of nice bull bou. The western arctic herd has come thru this area severas winters in a row, and taken some of the local reindeer. Some interbreeding has occured, the result being that some bou spend the entire year in this area. I've taken bou here in July also.
    Anyway, we were fortunate enough to get close enough to get a decent shot at this bou, and he ended up ours:

We just shot the one. Had a little over a mile to pack the meat back. Tough pack, but we got it all. Tried to take the cape and antlers, but that was a bit more than we could carry. I'm thinking of going back up there and getting them tomorrow. More good weather in the forecast.

Default Congrats!

Sounds like a great hunt, congratulations! Too bad about the bear, but he did save your knees some wear and tear.

Now thats hunting in comfort!! Excellent bull Mike, did you shoot it or did your young friend?

Great pic. Man it looks so nice up there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I was going to let the lad shoot the bear with my rifle, but we, or I, screwed that up. The bou were too far away for him to try a shot, he isn't real experienced yet. If we had been able to get within 100 yds, then I'd have had him shoot.

Well he was there and thats a start, i'm sure he learned quite abit about meat care and how it's properly done.

Nice Bou! The country is AWESOME! I love wide open hunting. Glad to hear you took a young'un with you. Can never get them started to early!

Default wow!

Thanks for sharing, Mike.
    Great hunt and pics!
    The rocky tors in the area are really interesting, they have probably been affording hunters stalking cover for thousands of years....very cool.

marten - Nice bou...congratulations! Looks like you had fantastic weather as well.

So, what's the story on the camp? Which agency maintains it, and what is the intended purpose?

-Brian

Now Brian............as Mr. Strahan would say.............do your own research.
    Normally I tell everyone everything I know........but this spot is such a secret still..........even Larry Bartlett doesn't know about it..........haha!

Default hmmmm

Seward Penisula, hot springs...tundra...volcanic mountain formations...US Federal Goverment cabins....I KNOW WHERE IT IS!!!!! Anyone can IM me for the exact locale...

Just teasin ya there martentrapper!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post

So, what's the story on the camp? Which agency maintains it, and what is the intended purpose?

-Brian

...Check your PM's

=)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."