Thread: Catching silvers when there are a bunch of pinks around

Default Catching silvers when there are a bunch of pinks around

I'd like to tap your collective knowledge to confirm or deny a theory of mine;

At the mouth of streams that drain to the ocean it seems that pinks school up as close to the stream mouths as they can, I'm thinking that the silvers stand off about 75-100 feet back, waiting for their cue to make their run up the streams.

From what I saw saturday the pinks completely fill up the first 30-50 feet in front of the mouths.

I'm also wondering of the storm Whittier had Tuesday/Wednesday affected the bite, even though it was 3 days later..

Thoughts? Ideas? I'm a crackpot?

Why don't you drift a piece of herring (or roe) under a bobber? Very rarely will the pinks ever touch it...only the silvers. This is especially effective if there are silvers mixed in deep / below the pinks.

Man, thats a great idea! That would have never occured to me, I mainly just do lures when ocean fishing for salmon and do eggs under a bobber in rivers. I didnt know they'd go for eggs while still in the salt.

That'd also give my shoulder and elbow a rest from casting all day

Default another thing to try...

I know from personal experience on the Kenai - (even years) - when fishing for silvers with a buttload of pinks around, it can sometimes help to remove the spin-n-glo from your egg setup. Removing the spin and glo seems to decrease the number of pinks that hit your rig, thus leaving you more likely to get through to the silvers. Not a 100% sure technique, but I have seen it help a bit.