Thread: Trash Fish Derby

Smile Trash Fish Derby

Have you ever had a day out on the salt when you just couldn't seem to catch your target species, and instead only caught trash fish?
    You know: the pie hole mouthed irish lord, big enough to swallow a basketball; the almost halibut sized flounder, the slimey, wormy cod, the rambunctious green eyed sand shark, or the log-like skate...
    I propose that sometime next summer, some enterprising person on this forum, with better organizational skills than I, organize a not too official, and all in good fun, one day trash fish derby out of Homer. Prizes could be awarded for the largest of any of the above named species, and perhaps a few I forgot. A grand slam prize could be offered as well. At the end of the day, we could meet somewhere on the spit, or the park by McDonalds and we could cook our incidental catches of halibut... or maybe, for the truly brave, we could have a camp stove cook-off of the trash fish after they have been duly recorded (I hear that the rear three or four inches of an irish lord is tasty). Prizes could be white elephant, or if we had a small entry fee, gas cards, oars, gaff hooks, tackle, etc. The emphasis would be comraderie and good fun, not winnings. What'ya think?

Sayak, I just picked myself up off the floor from laughing so hard . . . been 'dere, done 'dat. I tell you it's still better than catching nothing . . . . (we're the only folks I know of that complain when we're catching fish while fishing - cause they're the wrong ones!).

Anyone got a good recipe for starfish?

SH

Sea Pens are my absolute fav!

I had and uncle who used to come up and fish with my family. He used to be a hand on day boats out of San Diego.

He couldn't believe we let go Large Mouth Cabezon. It was a delicacy down there.

Default cell phones

According to my Dad, cell phones are running on the kenai this year, he plucked one out while fishing for Reds.

I had tears in my eyes reading that.

Many has been the day that I've gone out for halibut and caught a boatload of sculpins, bullheads and yes..........wormy cod. I even got a skate on my subsistence halibut set last year.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Anyone got a good recipe for starfish?
    SH
    Apparently the Chinese do!!!

Pic taken by a tourist at the olympics.

Mmmmmmm - deep fried star fish.

Default OK...

... is there anything that the Chinese dont eat?

So, I take it, there is no one interested in a little friendly competition....?
    I have some hot spots for Irish lord and starfish, so I have a decided advantage.

Freedom Fries???