Thread: Late Berries effect Bears?

Default Late Berries effect Bears?

With what I'm gathering is a bad and or late berry crop for alaska, is this a correct assumtion? What is this going to do to the bear hunting? One thing is that I thought i remember hearing is that it would keep the bears on the rivers longer. Is this true? Another thing that it would cause any black bear taken this fall not to taste as well. Would be nice to hear some different thoughts and insight on the matter.

There are berries out there, I've seen piles of bear scat loaded with them along the Russian River. My guess is that the berries that are up high are ripening first.

16b around Beluga Mt. has a lot of blue berries, currents, and highbush cranberries the only berries running late are raspberries. I haven't been to the Talachulitna for a while but from what I've been hearing the silvers aren't running very heavy yet. You hunting blacks or brownies? I've seen more black bears this year than I think I have ever seen the brownies are about the same.
    Chuck

Default Both

I figure if you are going to do it why not do it all. My main goal is a nice big Brown to help out the Moose population.

T,
    The bad berry years are the ones with dry, hot springs. If the berry bushes don't get enough moisture when they're in flower the berry crop suffers and it tends to peak early.

I think this year will generally be a good one to hunt the berries for bears. The cool, wet summer means the berry crop in most areas should be good and will likely ripen a week to 10 days later, there by keeping the bears on the hillsides later (after the leaves begin to drop).

Fall blackies on berries look like they swallowed 5 gallons of purple ink when you open them up. Berry-fed bear is good table fare as well.

Almost no berries here in Juneau. We have had a very cold, wet summer.
    I would look further north, perhaps, as it sounds like they had a better crop.
    i am seeing more bears than usuall around town, in areas near creeks and berry areas than normal. Couple that with our poor runs of salmon this year, and it makes for a bad out-look.

Default Must be regional differences this year...

I agree with Akhunter45 - "... berries out there". I saw piles of bear scat loaded with berry seeds a couple miles up Clear Creek this past weekend. Lots of high bush cranberries and raspberries on sun-exposed banks. We saw more black bears than usual. Not sure why.