Thread: Question for you outboard folks..milky oil

Default Question for you outboard folks..milky oil

I ran my Nissan 18 hp 2-stroke kicker for a couple of hours while trolling. Next morning when I started it up there were lots of blobs of milky oil that came out and floated on the surface. Laid the kicker in my truck and took it home and saw a bit more milky oil coming out from behind prop when I got home. Checked/changed oil and not milky. Any ideas?

two stroke exhaust has oil in it that exits through prop, is normal. This is why they are called dirty engines.

Default Milky Oil

Although 2 Strokes can be messy, I suspect you have a lower unit seal going bad. This is fairly common and easy to repair. The seal is behind the prop and can be replaced in minutes.

Causes are often a result of fishing line wrapped up in the prop or normal wear and tear. That being said, you should spin the prop by hand and ensure the prop shaft isn't bent. Usually when the seal goes bad, the lower unit oil is cloudy too but this is not always the case.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Although 2 Strokes can be messy, I suspect you have a lower unit seal going bad. This is fairly common and easy to repair. The seal is behind the prop and can be replaced in minutes.

Causes are often a result of fishing line wrapped up in the prop or normal wear and tear. That being said, you should spin the prop by hand and ensure the prop shaft isn't bent. Usually when the seal goes bad, the lower unit oil is cloudy too but this is not always the case.

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'll pull the prop and look for the seal. Does the seal hold back the oil so that I need to drain the lower unit oil before changing the prop?

Default 2nd the advice given by Fullboat

I used to deckhand on a charter boat and we often were checking/changing prop seals because of line caught/wrapped in behind prop. #1 cause of milky lower unit oil that we saw.
    Good idea to get proficient at these things, especially during adverse conditions!
    Jim

Default milky oil

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post

Good luck!
    guess I should have read carefully, yes behind prop is most likely a seal gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Thanks. I'll pull the prop and look for the seal. Does the seal hold back the oil so that I need to drain the lower unit oil before changing the prop?
    Uh, meant to say before changing the seal, not the prop. Changing prop no problem