Thread: Trekking poles

Default Trekking poles

Does anybody use them while mountain hunting? Are the carbon fiber poles worth the extra money? They sure are light!

I use one while mountain hunting and find pretty invaluble, particularly with a loaded pack on.

I use a "Tracks" lite staff. Not sure a carbon fiber would be worth mega bucks since the aluminum version weighs only 10oz.

I chose aluminum Black Diamond poles and on my hikes so far they have saved my butt (and my knees)! I like the BD poles with their positive locking system.

My husband has Pole Cat and I have Leki poles.
    I have seen this particular thread go around a couple of times.
    Here is another previous thread on it:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=32477
    Poles are absolutely worth it in Alaskan high country.
    Whack alders, berry bushes, mushrooms to keep you entertained while actually holding onto them for dear life when traversing a side of a mountain or crossing fast and deep streams. I wouldn't go out in Alaskan wilderness with out poles.
    Lurker.

My only thoughts are don't buy poles that have you have to twist something to tighten the poles at length. Instead buy one that have a cam type system for locking the individual sections. In my experience the twisting type tends to back off after a while and you don't notice it until you need to lean on it a bit and it gives out. These are the ones that I use and they work great and haven't given out once when I needed to lean on them. As for the original question, yea they are worth the price to have.
    http://www.rei.com/product/750185
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Quote Originally Posted by Backcuntry View Post
    My only thoughts are don't buy poles that have you have to twist something to tighten the poles at length.
    Heed well!!!! This is the best advice you can ever get. I will be using my Black Diamond poles on an archery goat hunt this fall
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I bought Black Diamond Contour Shocks. Thanks for the replies.