Thread: Saw the Can Can

Default Saw the Can Can

Saw you and your boat over in Gustavus on Friday afternoon. Sometime around 2:30-3:00ish.

I should have intoduced myself. Standing only about 20 feet away. Guess you were bring a boatload over and dropping them off. No fishing - just sightseeing? Twas a most excellent day being such a crappy summer and all.

Me and the bride flew over for our 20th anniversary.

Rode our bikes down to the dock to visit my old buddy Bruce who does creel census for ADF&G. We just missed seeing a 400#er and after we left one of the boats brought in a 350#er. Bruce said they are seeing some HAWGS on a daily basis. That's when I noticed your boat down on the end. You were talking to Bruce.

I'll try not to be so shy next time . . .

Please don't be shy next time... I've been having great fun meeting many of "the gang" in person (or at least waving from your boat, epw!) this season...

That was an interesting trip... it was just a "ferry" run to drop a family of 4 off for their stay at Glacier Bay Lodge. All the entry permits were taken, so we had to go to the Gusdavis side instead.

Actually, what's really interesting (to me anyway) about that trip is that it was the final week of a 2600 mile marathon I've been running this month... Since July 19, my log shows the following:
    - Juneau to Tracy Arm, Tracy Arm to 5-Finger Light, 5-Finger Light to Juneau
    - Juneau to Tracy Arm, Tracy Arm to 5-Finger Light, 5-Finger Light to Baranof Warm Springs, Warm Springs to Angoon, Angoon to Tenakee, Tenakee to Juneau
    - Juneau to Angoon, Angoon whale watching for 4 days, Angoon to Juneau
    - Several assorted day-trips from/to Juneau and Auke Bay
    - Juneau to Haines, Haines to Skagway, Skagway to Juneau, Juneau to Tracy Arm, Tracy Arm to 5-Finger Light, 5-Finger to Pack Creek (and back), 5-Finger to Petersburg
    - Petersburg to 5-Finger, 5-Finger to Tracy Arm, Tracy Arm to Juneau
    - More assorted day-trips
    - Juneau to Gusdavis (and back)
    - Juneau to Elfin Cove (and back)
    - Juneau to Glacier Bay, Glacier Bay to Appleton Cove, Appleton Cove to Sitka
    - Sitka to Juneau (in 5 hours flat just yesterday...)

All tolled the "trip meter" on my chart plotter put us just over 2600 nautical miles in the 31 days since I reset it to zero... Looking at the weather today, I think I'll stay home for a while! ;-)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Gee, I Saw It Too

According to my log I saw it on the morning of 8/16 when I was anchored on the East side of the second island south of Barlow Pt. - keeping my circle hooks busy pulling up halibut. He was headed north toward Pt. Retreat (and according to what his post above says probably points west).

Actually, every time I have seen the "Can Can" this summer he's hauling ass off over the horizon somewhere - keeping the local economies healthy with fuel sales! Keep up the good work, Case! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    According to my log I saw it on the morning of 8/16 when I was anchored on the East side of the second island south of Barlow Pt. - keeping my circle hooks busy pulling up halibut. He was headed north toward Pt. Retreat (and according to what his post above says probably points west).

Actually, every time I have seen the "Can Can" this summer he's hauling ass off over the horizon somewhere - keeping the local economies healthy with fuel sales! Keep up the good work, Case! ;-)
    That was the pickup we made at Whale's Eye on Shelter Island... bound for Elfin Cove (where there was some kick ***** fishing action going on!)

We've had some crazy fun the past month or so running all over. Even if the charter business isn't all that great, this season is reminding me 1) why I love it here; 2) why I built the boat the way I did; and 3) how much fun we can all have here!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default Right On!

I've been on the water here in SE all of my life and it never ceases to provide all the fun and entertainment I need. I hope the remainder of your season is just as much fun as you have had to date, Case. Good luck! ;-)