Thread: Photoshop for beginners?

Default Photoshop for beginners?

Hi all,

Ive been postponing my Photoshop learning for about a year now. My girlfriend uses it for work and I know its an amazing tool for digital photography but I dont know where to start.

Does anyone know of any free tutorials online? Or good magazines for beginners?
    How did you start using photoshop??

It seems like such a complicated application that Im intimidated to start.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Here is the best one I have used but it costs $25 a month. Well worth it Though ...

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=419
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Thanks guys. Ive visited all the sites you've recommended.

Just turned a white car red today! HA!

here's also a couple of EXCELLENT books available. I have both, and they're worth every penny.

The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby (also editor of Photoshop User magazine)

Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers by Martin Evening.

If you don't have CS3, there are earlier editions available for just about every version of PS. They really are a great desk reference, and have a lot of step-by-step instructions on how to perform actions.

Good luck,

SH

We do have CS3!

Thanks for the info. I'll look those books up.

Do any of you use those monthly magazines? Seems like they have tutorials in all of them, but are they any 'better' than the free online tutorials?

thanks

I've bought a couple of editions that had a particular article I was looking for, but at $10 a pop, I don't think they're worth the $$ . . .

SH

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default If you cant find it Google it.

I'm still swearing at Photoshop but and maybe I'm a dolt but first I try the Help.
    Often I don't have a clue where to start with PS Help. It's written by editors who already know the answer and often isn't specific enough. Once I spend a couple of trys working with the Help, click around and still can't fiind what I need, I go to Google. Some where, someplace, someone speaks my language.
    A guy I know that taught Adobe software said after an intial introduction to look up job specific stuff. Such as, I wanted to show a door looming above with a light peeking out for a library mystery night invitation so I found out how to use flare and perspective. To produce some dramatic dog photos I wanted to get higher degree of detail on the edge of a subject so Googled masking techniques. On masking I just had to dig back into my conventional prepress days and think about of how we did it.

I just learned how to batch, outline detail, and think I almost get layers to make alterations. I spent the last two days practicing various effects but I want to use them commercially. From what I have seen most photography publishers want untouched original photos and many conventional film in transparency format. That tells me that from the artistic level taking a great photo is way more important.
    Also I started with Photoshop Elements. It does a lot of what PS does in RGB only. I still had a lot to learn about that when I got PS but it got me started easily and its a lot cheaper.
    There is so much to learn as well as just working on getting good photos. Im in a slump right now or its the weather. Nothing looks good.
    www.imageworkspub.com
    www.alaskadognews.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Take a look at what Photoshop Elements 6.0 can do for you and compare that to the full Photoshop. You may find that PSE 6.0 is all you need. I use it to edit RAW images, resize, organize, and such. Very powerful program for most photographers. Find a specific reason to get the full Photoshop. It is more complicated and far more expensive. Be sure you need it before buying. I bought a book, "Photoshop Elements 6.0 for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. It clearly shows you how to use the software. Very simple to use the book as it has lots of screen pictures and such. This software ($90) and the book ($35) will take you far. I see the book and software at Amazon for $102. Below are some links for you.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Software.html

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elem...0177367&sr=8-1

On this link, you can scroll down and see the book and PSE 6.0 offered together for $102. That is a heck of a deal. I did notice that PSE 7.0 is coming out soon (or already out). Not sure what it offers that PSE 6.0 does not, but you may want to compare the two to be sure. I can speak of 6.0 and say that it does all I need of it.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

I am one of the many people that originally found photoshop impossible to understand and use.

But for the most part, all you have to learn, is to adjust your colors or contrast or levels.

The most important part is to Create the IMAGE in your camera FIRST !!

I only use photoshop to crop my images, resize them, and adjust the colors & Print

That is all .. any decent photographer should develop the skills to accomplish, it is true photoshop is capable of doing so much much more.

But printing a good copy of my images is all the skills I need from that program.

I am very skilled in many other areas of photoshop, but for a beginner (photography) this is the main focus of your time spent in this incredible program.

The internet has millions of tutorial sites on photoshop. But often they are in how to create... ... (anything you can think of).

It is a spendy program for sure. But all the power is available to accomplsh anything you can think of.

Paint Shop Pro, can do everything that photoshop can do, and at a fraction of the cost !!