Thread: Whitter charters

Default Whitter charters

I am home from Iraq for 18 days and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction a good charter service out of Whitter. After 12 years in Alaska, Whitter is one of the few places I have not fished. I am look for halibut.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by 375HHunter View Post
    , Whitter is one of the few places I have not fished. I am look for halibut.
    Well there really is no point in trying to go out of whittier unless you just want to see some new country. The charters are going to take you to the same areas as the ones out of Seward do (weather dependent of course) and that would be down towards Montague. It's a longer run and with fuel prices, you are better off going to Seward. If the weather isn't great either you have a better chance of getting your limit out of Seward too. Just my thoughts, but Whittier halibut are few and far between. The upside is they can be quite large though, the ones you do find.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Whittier Charter

www.fishwhittier.com

I fished with Matt for years before we got a larger boat. Great guide and boat. He fishes all over the sound.

Default Bread 'n Butter Charters

is who I've gone out with the last two trips to Whittier. We caught fish, nothing big, but be forewarned we were fishing in 500 to 600 feet of water.

Electric reels helped, but I like fishing a bit shallower.

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Thanks for the advice.

I've used Jay Jenkins at Riptide Charters for about 6 or 6 years now. Went two weeks ago and threw back 15 small ones and kept 7 bigger ones for four of us. The biggest was about 55 and the smallest 30. We each got about 27 pounds of vacumm packed filets. We did better last year, he knows where the fish are. 632-0360 or you can get him through June's.