Thread: Deer hunting by boat out of Whittier

Default Deer hunting by boat out of Whittier

I am new to hunting. This being the case I am looking for a relatively easy hunt when compared to much AK hunting. I have my thoughts on taking my 20ft boat out of Whittier to a nearby island this late August early September for deer. I hear people speak of Montague Island but I think that is too far for me to travel in my boat. Does anyone have advice on what would be the closest location out of Whittier for a beginner hunter to try and spot some deer with a chance at success? Thanks.

Default Knight Island

Knight Island isn't to far out of Whittier. I have hunted Esther Island too. That early in the year they are going to be up higher so be prepared to do some hiking/spot and stalk.
    Last edited by Bigrob; 08-17-2008 at 16:42. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrob View Post
    Knight Island isn't to far out of Whittier. I have hunted Esther Island too. That early in the year they are going to be up higher so be prepared to do some hiking/spot and stalk.
    Is there much deer on Esther? I had no idea!

Default Esther and Knight Islands

Thanks Bigrob for the advice. I don't mind the hiking up. I have been to Esther island several times (to fish). I have hiked some around the hatchery but never saw any signs of deer. I have never been to knight island but I agree it doesn't look too far away. I thought I heard somewhere the deer on Knight island were very scarce and I didn't know Esther had a deer population. I welcome any other advice from you or anyone else with suggestions.

All of the islands out there have deer, though none of them are what I would consider an "easy" hunt when it comes to high success rates. Perry Island is one of your closest options as well, but understand that the closer you are to Whittier the more likely that there is higher pressure on the deer.