Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Processors

Default Game Processors

I have used different processors over the years and am in search of one around the Valley I can feel comfortable with. I have heard disappointing stories of lost meat from supposedly well known and respected processors as well as stories of folks certain they did not get their own game back. My own experience has been with giving a processor ultra clean meat and feeling the trim was extremely excessive. I know they are knocking out a lot of meat in a short time but they are charging plenty. I almost feel as if my business is an intrusion when I take game meat in, at least to the processors I have used. I am not a difficult customer, steaks, roasts and burger and occasionally some sausage, but would like to know I am getting my own meat back. Can anyone recommend a good one in the Valley?

Default glenns

He is not in the valley, but Glenn's Wild Game in Anchorage is an outstanding processor. I dropped of a caribou on Wed afternoon, and it was done Sat morning. He and his wife always friendly, and run their shop out of their home. It is worth try if you don't find one if the valley you like.

http://www.glennswildgame.com/index....67091653684751

Jake

I've had 100% success with Pioneer Meats at mile 49. Everything is good. I love the Country Style Brauts.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I always use ak sausage and sea food in Anch.. have grat luck with them fast and they ship it back to fair banks....

the out fit here in Fairbanks ruined AN ENTIRE moose for me never going back. EVER

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    He is not in the valley, but Glenn's Wild Game in Anchorage is an outstanding processor. I dropped of a caribou on Wed afternoon, and it was done Sat morning. He and his wife always friendly, and run their shop out of their home. It is worth try if you don't find one if the valley you like.

http://www.glennswildgame.com/index....67091653684751

Jake
    Glenn's is great I highly recommend his shop.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default processors

Mat-Valley meats off Palmer-Wasilla Hwy is great. Or Mike's Meat in Eagle River is outstanding.

Pioneer Meats without question...

Default i second pioneer

they did a great job.....had my sheep back to me in less than 24 hrs and even saved the heart that i forgot to take home with me...Lisa over there does a wicked italian caribou sausage
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I've had great results with Glenn as well. I will likely take game there this year (hopefully). Be advised he doesn't do any cooked sausages, sends that out to Indian Valley Meats. But he'll do raw grinds like burger, chorizo, italian/breakfast. Awesome service.

I also like Sausage & Seafood. I love their sausage products, and their meat cutting/wrapping is great too. They typically mix your meat with other hunters' meat when making up sausage unless you bring in a big load for one certain type sausage - I think it was 70 lbs min. But they are very picky about meat quality they'll accept. So your sausage might wind up a mix of moose, caribou, deer, goat, sheep. They don't take bears. I have no complaint with any of this, just be advised. At least, that's the way they did it a couple years ago.

I'd happily go back to either of these places, or to Indian Valley Meats as well, but this may not help much if you really want a place in the valley.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Pioneer Meats without question...
    +2. I brought my caribou there last year and had them make me some Jalepeno cheddar brats and they were amazing. Not to mention that they are quick and accurate.

I add another thumbs up for Pioneer. We tried them last year for the first time, got some jalapeno cheddar summer sausage, reg summer sausage & hot dogs and all were excellent. We even got our own meat back. (moose)

We have used AK Sausage for hot dogs, polish, etc (moose) for the last several years and the quality there has done nothing but get worse. It's gotten so bad that I have literally not been able to stomach the taste, and barely the smell, of the meat. Last year we even had a bad problem getting our meat back to us in a timely manner, and when we did, we knew that it had been mixed with others.

We spend alot of time on our meat, making sure that it is clean. If you've ever talked to any of these butchers, you know that there is a lot of scary meat that comes thru those doors. Knowing that my meat could get mixed with theirs sure makes me look elsewhere when it comes to processing.

Mat-Valley meats off Palmer-Wasilla Hwy.

Took my bear this year to him and he did a wonderful job. I have tried the majority of the processors over the last 20 years and this guy made the best FIRE and TERIYAKI STICK. He also made a very good Jalapeņo/Chedder Brat, Cajun dogs.

I plan on taking my sheep and everything else to him. 5 stars!

I have used both Lisa at Pioneer and Mat-Valley Meats. I have been extremely happy with both of them. I think that Mat-Vally Meat's pepper and terriaki sticks were better, but I KNOW I got my own meat back with Pioneer.

You do indeed get your own meat back from Pioneer Meats.

Default Matt

You make me sick! If everyone only knew.

What about a good processor in the Fairbanks area?

We've already got a couple of fellows who handle all of our butchering, and most of our sausages. I won't name them, as they've got all the business that they need from what I can tell. They're in South Central, and they've been doing my family's meat for nearly 20 years now.

What I -DO- need, (and -have- needed for a while now), is a GOOD source for TRADITIONAL style landjaeger (Swiss/German 'hunter sticks'). Briefly aged with a culture, providing a controlled fermentation of the meat and spicing, then smoked darned near jerky-dry..

Likewise, there's lots of folks up here who advertise a German summer sausage, but few that I've tasted were like the traditional summer sausages that we ate in Wisconsin decades ago.

There used to be a fellow from Wisconsin in the Interior/Fairbanks area. His name was Wiley. He ran/owned Greatland Sausage. I never took a whole animal to him for processing, (as previously stated, we already have our own source for that); it seemed to me that there were 'questionable controls' in re. to some of the 'hired help' during the cutting season, especially when they were really jamming hard with too many critters to cut all at once..

That said, Wiley came the closest to offering the best traditional style landjaeger that I've had to date in Alaska. Incredible stuff! (When it turned out properly, anyway..)

I don't care for Alaska Sausage's landjaeger (the commercial reindeer variety, to be specific), as it's not quite what I've been accustomed to in that regard, and though I haven't checked in many years now, it used to be that when Alaska Sausage mixed their various batches, they processed a WHOLE BUNCH at one time, which meant that your meat was being mixed with others.

Anyway, we like our smoked sausages SMOKED, and more dry, with a fairly notable spicing, and prefer the traditional 'fermented' or 'cultured' varieties.

Soooooo.. If anyone has a good source for processing wild game meat landjaeger, as well as something that tastes like -traditional- german summer sausage, either in the Interior, or in the S. Central area, (or in between, for that matter).. PLEASE PM ME!!

Does Pioneer processing have a web site ??
    I can not locate them on the net ??

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    You make me sick! If everyone only knew.
    Since we're on the subject, I got something for you try out. Freakin' chronic and it ain't no lie...

You'll wet yourself.

Default Hook a brother up

It wouldn't be smoked salmon would it. Done kinda fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast