Thread: Looking for info on Happy Valley / Deep Creek sea kayaking

Default Looking for info on Happy Valley / Deep Creek sea kayaking

A couple guys yesterday told me about someone they know that takes his kayak out from Happy Valley and fishes offshore with it for halibut. Does anyone have any information on the currents or other precautions for kayaking off the beaches from Deep Creek down to Happy Valley? I'm thinking of paddling out to fish for halibut and paddling in if I hook up, then fight it from the beach.

Stupid idea? Dangerous? Anyone have a thought on this, based on local knowledge?

Thanks for any info.

Been decades since I fished there, but I know you can drive to Happy Valley and drop over the edge on a trail to the beach. Carrying your boat shouldn't be a problem on the way down, but you might struggle to get it back up to your car.

The tide anywhere in Cook Inlet is pretty swift, and you will be constantly fighting it, or moving with it. One plan would be to start somewhere (Deep Creek, Happy Valley, etc.) and catch the current. When the tide turns, ride it back to where you started. Otherwise you will be constantly working to hold your place. You will have to consult a tide table to figure out the best times for this. The tide is slack for no more than 30 minutes, and gets back to full speed fairly quick.

We always went out at least a mile or two to fish for halibut, but stayed in close to Happy Valley Creek for salmon. We often hooked up with small chicken halibut close to shore, but nothing over 10 lbs that I recall. So if that is still true you are either going to have to paddle a long way to bring your large catch to shore, or won't need to if you're close.

keep us posted if you do go out. Im really curious about this and would like to try next year.

thanks
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"