Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelchina Caribou

Default Nelchina Caribou

Any ideas on whereabout the Nelchina Caribou herd is at now??

Last I heard folks were still wacking them out of eureka.

When did you hear that, Blink? The wife and I are going after them next weekend. Eureka is closer, but we were thinking the Denali Highway. I'd love a current report, though.

-Brian

Brian, my wife is a taxidermist and the last bull brought in (this past week) was taken out of eureka. not sure how far in though. She hasnt had any turned in off of the denali yet.

If it changes, I'll let you know

Nelchina hunters dropping off their bulls to be mounted.......now thats Tier II at it's finest!

Default Nelchina "hunt"

AK 45, I detect some irony in your post, possibly because I feel the same way.

Cool Irony....

Mkay........maybe just a little bit.

Heys guys, why the continual potshots at Nelchina hunters that are asking every bit of serious hunting questions as others? I'm sure if you applied and were awarded a tag, in the interest of being a true blue "sport hunter" you wouldn't accept it right? Just like us "subsistence hunters" would never keep a rack for the wall, much like the old trapper cabins that never had any horns hanging either. Anyhow, I hope all this has an element of humor throughout...........the real irony is that this continual carping splits the hunting community and weakens our voice. As previously discussed, this is what the courts have dictated, so don't fault the individual just cause he's (essentially) lived here longer than yourself-that my friend, reeks of sour grapes. You should have been around for the Permanent Fund's origins, which would have awarded $50/year per year of residency, but was tossed by the courts. I can imagine the howls of unfairness emanating from the "newer-newcomers", especially in today's entitlement society.

So much for the soapbox and to the question of updates: We took one average bull (and yes, left the rack in the field) last Saturday afternoon (after seeing about 40-50) on the Paxson end, and from all accounts there are a good averall quantity of animals scattered between McLaren to Paxson and down to the Alphabets. The water is high and the trails muddier than normal. Several rivers (E. Gulkana) and Rock Creek are uncrossable in all but the big Nodwells, etc. The reports from Eureka are good but I can't speak for the water levels or how far in, but the weather was good all weekend so they should be dropping if it holds. At Tangle, it got down into the 20's at night temperature wise, which made for perfect meat curing, and man was that heart dinner as good as ever.

Default Irony or...

sarcasm or both?

The Nelchina hunt situation is one I haven't kicked about in the past. I figure the longtimers have earned the right. (bwake)
    Generally speaking bou are abundant in this state. Maybe if it weren't the case I'd be pushing someone off the soapbox and climb'n on...

The potshots are at the system and those who apply using false information to gain a tag. I won't ever put in for it because I know I don't have a chance of ever drawing a tag so why waste the paper. I'll put in for draws or hunt where it's a general season hunt, no big deal. All this bs about living here longer and having "earned" the rights to those tags is just that, bs. How long does a person have to live here to be treated the same as someone who has lived here for 20 years or was born here?? Hunting is a privilege, not a right and we should all treat it that way.

bwake - Have you heard anything about the Cantwell side of the Maclaren? I was hoping to stick to the close side of the Denali this weekend. I know there will be hordes of moose hunters, but I'll just be focusing on finding a bou. (Of course, I wouldn't pass up a moose....)
    -Brian

If we get everything done around home I plan on taking the atv's out for a ride in back of Eureka Lodge wed or thur. If we see any I'll make a posting here.

Default Nelchina / Cantwell Side

I only know that the road is terrible right now to about mile 60 (or just the Cantwell side of Moores Camp) and may not even be passable if the Brushkana & Seattle Creek bridges were damaged. Normally I hunt that side first too, but that road is just miserable on a good day and I imagine it would be a 20 MPH drive, esp. if you're pulling a trailer. Plus, I know that Butte creek has to be unfordable for a while which rules out the Susitna Trail.

You might want to stay in the McLaren area to start, although if they decide to move things can change fast as you know. A boat or canoe in the Tangles could be worthwhile if you have access to one......plus the fishing combo is always nice

Good Luck

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    ......All this bs about living here longer and having "earned" the rights to those tags is just that, bs..
    Yup.

Just like the federal subsistence program.

Hunting is a privilege, not a right and we should all treat it that way.
    I disagree. Hunting is a right, and shouldn't be taken away unless abused.

This world is growing. We all lose our "spots". We need to figure out a way to make it fair for all hunters/outdoorsmen. I moved here 6 years ago because I was losing my "spots" back home to development. I can see why you guys wanna hang on, cause this is the Last Best Place. Hell, If I was grandfathered into this hunt, I would want to hang on too!! But the population of Earth is growing, and resources are getting used.
    If the Nelchina hunt was a draw, and I never ever got drawn, I would have no complaints. At least I had a chance. But the tier II being subsistance? I interpret subsistance as dependance. Not the way this hunt is going with all the motercoaches and fourwheelers from anchorage. This is the point in my post where I need to shut up.

By the way, I have nothing against Rifle hunters. Just in case anyone is wondering.
    Last edited by bowshootr; 08-28-2006 at 15:41.

Ak Hunter:

I can understand your general position and believe me I have plenty of friends in the same boat. I do resent your judge and jury approach in implying we are all fasifying information; I can assure you I'm not. Does it happen?-sure, probably more than tax cheats but less than speeding. At least F&G has made some changes that ensure better compliance along with spreading out the number of tags per household. And your part about BS is itself BS to me because I'm not pontificating about how I've earned any right over you or others. That's the arguement you hear on the Pro-Subsistence (Bush typically) side and you'll rarely find me aligned with that group-except on pedator control. Judging by the reports posted here from some of these areas and having worked all over the State I know all too well the spiel of "our moose, fish, etc"-now that's BS! Unfortunately, that's an attitude problem first which I don't agree with ever, at least under our Constitution as I see it.

Thus, I'm simply stating that the courts have dictated this Tier 2 mess and here we are. If you choose not to apply at all and sleep better at night, then right on. If you really hope to participate, you might try applying-my 25 year resident wife drew this year after after a 4 year hiatus. Either way, the purpose of the original post was a request for information, not an invitation for political discourse where this topic always seems to end up at. Wow!

Default Tier II

So If I totally lie, will I get caught? What is the fine if I totally lie and say I live in X place and my family has hunted this population for X amount of time? Just wondering.

Perhaps we need to post a topic of the tier II system.

Default Nelchina

The caribou were very abundant last week across the sonoma creek area at Eureeka. They were all heading north. There are several groups all through the Denali highway. The road is poor we averaged 15 miles per hour as we were pulling a trailor. All of the creeks are over flowing. You can get through them but it might entail stripping down and running a winch. Be careful as if it was marginal going across it might be impossible coming back out. We crossed one creek that was knee deep and two days later it was up to our shoulders was pretty scary! As far as the public view on the Nelchina system and tier 2 in general i for one would agree there are serious problems, and yes i drew a permit! There are multitude of solutions and a multitude of problems to go with them. Bottom line there is no magic answer nor is there an answer that will keep everyone happy. The good news is the herd seems healthy we are seeing animals in more locations and there were many calves. So maybe the permits will go up, more people will draw and more people will be able to enjoy the animals. This forumn is a great place for information and for ideas on equipment but some times it becomes to political. Hunting is a right that we all have, however with the government involved we are kind of stuck as it is others that are managing it. The whole thing is a debacle with numerous pros and cons from destruction of antlers to drawing to limited seasons all sorts of ideas. As we all know everones tummy gets hungry and no one likes spending money on meat no matter where you live. This fact is truly the one common denominator that all people have in common no matter where you live no matter how long you have been here no matter what you drive, We all get hungry! Now as far as managing a way to feed us and keep everyone happy that is somthing different! Chef

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Ak Hunter:

I can understand your general position and believe me I have plenty of friends in the same boat. I do resent your judge and jury approach in implying we are all fasifying information; I can assure you I'm not. Does it happen?-sure, probably more than tax cheats but less than speeding. At least F&G has made some changes that ensure better compliance along with spreading out the number of tags per household. And your part about BS is itself BS to me because I'm not pontificating about how I've earned any right over you or others. That's the arguement you hear on the Pro-Subsistence (Bush typically) side and you'll rarely find me aligned with that group-except on pedator control. Judging by the reports posted here from some of these areas and having worked all over the State I know all too well the spiel of "our moose, fish, etc"-now that's BS! Unfortunately, that's an attitude problem first which I don't agree with ever, at least under our Constitution as I see it.

Thus, I'm simply stating that the courts have dictated this Tier 2 mess and here we are. If you choose not to apply at all and sleep better at night, then right on. If you really hope to participate, you might try applying-my 25 year resident wife drew this year after after a 4 year hiatus. Either way, the purpose of the original post was a request for information, not an invitation for political discourse where this topic always seems to end up at. Wow!
    This will be the last post in this thread for me on this subject. If you go back and read my post you will see that I didn't point fingers at you or anybody else, it was pointed at those who lie on the app's and they know who they are. This whole Tier II thing is a mess and they need to do something about it. Good luck on your hunt.

snowwolfe - I'd really appreciate a report on Eureka if you go. We have really limited time this year, so I'd like to make the most of this 3-day weekend.

bwake - How did you go about your hunt? Did you hike in from the road, take an ATV trail, etc? I've only hunted the Paxon end once, and that was many years ago. I wouldn't mind a few pointers...

-Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast