Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A hard lesson........

Default A hard lesson........

At the expense of being labelled a fool, i post the following incident. I don't mind the label however, if it jolts someone into avoiding something similar. We have all been there at some point, but we usually are lucky and get away with it.
    Was out at the range this AM working on my .280 Rem. Am happy to report its shooting like the rifle i had hoped it would be. However, i had my Tikka T3 in 7mmRM along as well as a bench mark.
    You can see where this is headed. I have shot for years, and consider myself a very safety conscious individual. However, i accidently filled the 7mm magazine with .280 shells and fired one off. .280 WILL chamber into the 7mmRM, and WILL fire. Blew the plastic cap off the end of the Tikkas bolt into my thumb, and some powder burns were my injuries, and the Tikka is most likely finished. Fireing pin is gone, and so is the extractor. Bolt still works smoothly. Tikkas are lightweight, but they certainly are strong enough where needed.
    Complacency has NO place on the range, and it was a cheap wake up call for me.
    I will send the Tikka out for inspection.
    Be safe folks.

sorry to hear that dude.Every dog has his day and unfortunetly you got the worse of it.But you did walk away from this one thank god.I did have a frined that did not walk away,so count your lucky stars and thanks for sharing this.

Glad everything worked out and no major injuries.

Something similiar happened at bear camp about 8 years ago. A guy came up from WA and he brought 2 eactly the same rifles (different calibers).

Anyways I shot my bear and the 2 of us went in after it. he noticed when he chambered a round it was real hard. Found the dead bear and when he went to unload, his rifle was locked up with a live round in the chamber.

If I remember correctly he got the bolts mixed up. worked out well and now he doesnt use identical rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    At the expense of being labelled a fool, i post the following incident. I don't mind the label however, if it jolts someone into avoiding something similar. We have all been there at some point, but we usually are lucky and get away with it.
    Was out at the range this AM working on my .280 Rem. Am happy to report its shooting like the rifle i had hoped it would be. However, i had my Tikka T3 in 7mmRM along as well as a bench mark.
    You can see where this is headed. I have shot for years, and consider myself a very safety conscious individual. However, i accidently filled the 7mm magazine with .280 shells and fired one off. .280 WILL chamber into the 7mmRM, and WILL fire. Blew the plastic cap off the end of the Tikkas bolt into my thumb, and some powder burns were my injuries, and the Tikka is most likely finished. Fireing pin is gone, and so is the extractor. Bolt still works smoothly. Tikkas are lightweight, but they certainly are strong enough where needed.
    Complacency has NO place on the range, and it was a cheap wake up call for me.
    I will send the Tikka out for inspection.
    Be safe folks.
    Let's just be thankful you walked away with all body parts still working and in place. The scary part is this could have happened to anyone of us. It only takes a moment distraction or worst of all not focusing on what we are about. Only happens to me fifty times a day.

THANK GOODNESS!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Its so true about guys getting away with stuff most of the time. We all get complacent, Whether its with an air nailer at the job site, a pipe threader, rifles, what have you.
    I have a Bridgeport milling machine in my shop, and it will grind up a limb and spit it out if you aren't watching.
    I'm pretty embarrassed about this whole incident, but if hereing about it helps someone else avoid an accident, i'm happy being the crash test dummy
    Anyone care to venture an opinion if the Tikka will be still safe (with a new bolt)?
    Cheers gents.

Seems to be a fairly common mistake. If you have read Soudy Golabchi's book (http://www.huntingreport.com/shoppin...fm?itemid=1769) you will remember that he made the same mistake with luckily only minor resulting injuries. Soudy has showed me the distorted case (270 Win into 7mm mag if I remember correctly) and it is amazing he was not seriously injured. By the way the book is a great read if you are into hunting mountain game.

Glad you walked away! it could have been a lot worse. You still are breathing just fine, not bleeding and your eyes are still intact. We have all had a few wake up calls in one form or another. Thanks for sharing!

I would guess that magnafluxing the chamber will tell the tale on the tikka! I have seen a 40 loaded into a 45acp and fired. The case split but no damage in that incident. I have mostly WSM's I wonder if any of them will cross feed like the 280/7mm will. I am glad that you are OK and a rifle is a small price to pay to walk away from that!

Don't know about the 270 WSM, but the 7mm WSM case is a tad longer than the 300 WSM - which I would guess is to obviate chambering it into a 300 WSM chamber.

Default Com'n CLEAN...

Yukoner, I believe most (if not all) have done things that we regret and could at times be called foolish.

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but in the spirit of cleansing the soul and pointing out that you are not the only one I'll share the following:

I had a lady call me one time to ask me to get some of her (now deceased) husband's reloading supplies. While going through the stuff I found some .44 Mag "bear loads"...

I knew better but was dumb enough to chamber one...

When I torched off the round it blew the pistol's cylnder in half and blew the top strap of the gun off. By the grace of God I was not injured.

Just as your post suggests... BE SURE OF what you load in your gun!!! If it ain't factory, if I didn't load it or if it don't belong - don't chamber it...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WinMag; 08-17-2008 at 15:55. Reason: correction

Glad to here that you were not injured. I have this happen before at the range in Texas a gentelman fired a 280 in a 7RM. The rifle was a Sako Finnbear the shooter got a little gas in the face, nothing serious. You're rifle will be repairable IMHO

Hey man, I am so glad that you are all right and that you can talk about the event. Sure causes us all to slow down, take our time, and think. Don't go to the range tired, with something really pressing the mind or in a hurry to go some where right after your range time. Don't engage in conversation with some on the range when you are in the middle of firing rounds or waiting for the barrel to cool and fixing load again. Once again, I am sure glad you are OK!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

In the spirit of this thread I'll add the two recent near misses I've had. First I was shooting both .257 Roberts and 22-250 and after several rounds of .257 found myself looking at two open boxes of ammo on the bench. Don't know if 22-250 will fire in .257 but I'm positive I will never get that close to finding out again. Second I was loading for the 22-250 using H380 and after loading 5 rounds I noticed that the powder in the measure pan didn't look right. There was a large amount of stick type powder mixed with the H380 ball. Probably Varget as that was what I had previously loaded for that rifle. No idea how I managed to mix them. It had been a few weeks since I'd used Varget. REALLY woke me up. My powder is all on the top shelf of my bench so I have to stand up to get it but I'm thinking of coming up with a more positive way of keeping that from happening again. I feel I've always been very careful in both my loading and shooting but both of these cases happened within a week. Time to rethink my ways.
    Just the thought of damaging my cherry 58 year old .257 makes me sick not to mention the safety to people.
    PAY ATTENTION!!!

It sends a shiver down your neck thinking of all the "close calls".
    Heres the culprit. left: 7mmRM, center: .280 after firing in the 7mmRM right: .280
    This sunday seemed a lot nicer after the fact, only a cut and a minor powder burn. Time for a beer
    Cheers
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Whew!....

I am glad you are ok and thanks for sharing. So easy to get complacent. I will be more careful because of your story.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your hand gets well.

Thanks for reminding us that stuff happens. Be safe.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Went out yesterday...

to the GCSS Oregon Trail Range. First rifle up was the son's M1A. Second up was to be a 722 Remington .300 Savage. Reached into the range box, pulled out a round and chambered the M1A, fired it, and got a two-piece case on the top of the bench. Wasn't a 7.62 round that went in. Close enough that I didn't get a lot of gas released, no soot on the case or in the action, so pressed on sighting it in. We DID, however, have a large helping of Crow to eat for awhile......

Default Dont have to worry

I don't think that anyone on this forum would try to label you. Everyone has done something foolish at one time. You are to be commended for sharing the incident with everyone. Safety is something that needs a constant reminder. Gald to hear that you got off with a minor warning.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I for one would never dream of labeling you a “fool”.

Years ago I watched a buddy sighting in his new Ruger 30-06 stainless synthetic (he had one in every cartridge that Ruger offered at the time) and he had also brought along his 270. Well after the first 5 shot string we were scratching our heads trying to figure out why only one of the five bullets had actually hit the target (50 yards) and had totally “key holed”………….. No harm done in that case, but a wake up call none the less.

Ever since then I have made it a personal policy that I don’t take multiple rifles to the range with “cross chamber-able” (if that is a real word) ammunition to help insure that I don’t end up with a situation like you experienced. The policy works good for me because I don’t have many rifles that have similar chamber dimensions, but for most guys, it would probably be impractical. Not much danger in accidentally feeding a 45/70 into the old 30-06, but then again you never know……….. I have seen people (self included) work REALLY hard to do the WRONG thing from time to time. My most recent attempt at doing the “wrong thing” was loading up cast bullets in my 375 Winchester. The load data called for a compressed load of powder at so many grains. So, I back down a couple grains and try to seat the bullet to the crimp grove……….. I got it to crimp, but boy oh boy I had to use A LOT of force to compress the powder (down 2 grains from max listed load) enough to crimp the bullet. Fortunately I realized that there was just no way this could be correct and went back and re-read the loading data. I had mis-read the COL or ignored it altogether thinking that the crimp grove was obviously were the bullet should be crimped, only to realize that in fact if must be crimped in one of the lube groves to provide the correct COL. I don’t know what would have happened if I had fired one of those rounds, but I suspect the pressures would have been rather high!

Interestingly enough, I recently watched some TV episode regarding this very subject. It was a couple weeks ago on Wednesday night after, or maybe during the “Midway USA Wednesday night at the range show” and these two guys had one of the newer Thompson Center single shot rifles and proceeded to feed it every kind of cartridge they could jam into the camber…………. Until they finally managed to find one that put the rifle out of action. I don’t recall the specifics as I had a couple boys making enough racket that actually hearing the TV was out of the question, but it was fairly entertaining.

Glad to hear you escaped injury, and thanks for sharing you story.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Sooner or later it's gonna get everyone. I have been shooting and reloading for close to 30 years and have always been very careful with what I bring to the range and what powders I have on my bench.
    A good friend of mine however is relatively new and when he got his .338 from his brother in law, that's when the hair hit the butter. He was going to meet me at the range and sight the gun in but I was running late and he got to shooting before I got there. He is relatively new into shooting and when I pulled up to the line beside him he was already shooting the 100 yard. I told him to bring it back in to 25 yards to start and then work out. When we went to move the target in there wasn't a hole in it. (He never has told me how many shots he took at it). First shot at 25 and perfect profile of the bullet. STarted scratching my head wondering what the hell was going on with his "NEW" gun. Pulled the bolt back and looked at the empty and there was the problem. He had a 7mm shell in the gun instead of .338 . Told me his brother in law that gave him the gun had all the ammo for it also. Didn't realize that all the ammo was thrown in a bag and probably 50% of them were 7mm.
    It can happen to anyone and thankfully nobody was injured (maybe a little ego blemish cause I never let him forget it). Glad to hear that you got out with scrapes and nothing more serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast