Thread: Who'll be chasing moose with a handgun?

Default Who'll be chasing moose with a handgun?

I'll probably pack the bow a little more then switch gears to the mod. 29 with an Ultradot & 320gr hardcast at around 1325fps.
    Anybody else going to chase moose with a handgun, & if so what's your setup?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I'll probably pack the bow a little more then switch gears to the mod. 29 with an Ultradot & 320gr hardcast at around 1325fps.
    Anybody else going to chase moose with a handgun, & if so what's your setup?
    I've done it twice before, but aging eyes say hunts with open sighted revolvers are in past. First time was a 44 mag RRH w/ 240 grain Keith hardcast over 22 grains of 2400. Fully penetrated on broadside shot at about 35 yards. Dead moose. Second time was with an open sighted 10" Contender in 357 Herret w/ Speer 180 grain jacketed spitzer over a charge RL7 (don't remember how big). Shot was at around 50 yards, broadside through the lungs. Dead moose.

I didn't recover either bullet. I bet you'll easily have a dead moose with your load in the right place. I also bet that you won't recover a bullet either.

Vance, thats a good load but I would not shoot too many of them out of the 29. Just sight it and reserve them for hunting.
    Eventually they will make the cylinder hard to open and you will have to fix it.
    Darn, I wish I could hunt moose! Deer season is getting close here though, I have no idea where the year went. It seems as if I just took down tree stands. I even have meat left from last year.

I will...went to the range yesterday to make sure everything was still on target...I'm shooting a Stainless NMB .45 colt 4 5/8" barrel with Oregan Trails 300 gr. hard cast gas ckecks..18grs. 2400 @ about 1100.. Heading out next Monday hunting by canoe...

Thumbs up

Vance

Yep I will be using the handy 500 on a fly in moose float hunt next weekend .
    Will be gone up to 16 days just depends if I get a critter early or not ?
    Hard cast bullets for sure and you know they will be heavy .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Sounds like there are a few of us with good intentions!
    BFR, thanks for the advise. It's a -4 so it handles them a bit better than the early models. Also Magnaported & had Magnaport install a double ball crane lock too.
    Oneriver & Rick, best of luck to you both, & I'd love to read your stories when you get back, & Rick, I know you consider anythingunder about 500gr "light" :-)
    Oneriver, what part of the state are you hunting?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I could not get my second round into my 500 S&W Handi-rifle fast enough (admiring my first shot) so I pulled my 41 mag out. Well four shots later one handed at a running moose and I put one round through the ball joint below the shoulder blade . At about 75 yards the 250 grain castcore Federal penetrated the ball joint which is huge but failed to enter the chest cavity. It did dislocate the shoulder.

The moose was mortally hit from the 500 rifle first shot but I think the shoulder hit slowed it some.

The 250 castcore chronied at 1050 in my 4" taurus at 20 feet. My handloads probably would have been better with a 265 at 1150 but I missplaced them (actually the first one out of the pistol was a 265 that went high). I should practice more one handed.

Well, I'll be in the brush calling and my buddy and his 13 year old boy will be on the lookout point. If one comes in to me in the brush I'm hoping to get a shot with the SBH 44 with 300gr lead. If he pops out where they can see him hopefully the boy will get his first moose!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Vance In Ak....I hunted the Swanson River canoe trails...canoed into Spruce lake area and hunted for 5 days...wasn't seeing much in the way of moose ..so paddled out and hunted from the Swanson River road area from top to bottom for another 5 days..saw 4 bears but only 2 moose...Didn't get a shot...lots of rain...

41 mag in 6 1/2 in Ruger Blackhawk iron sights. 225gr lyman cast from wcww over 16 gr Blue Dot for 1480 fps. Please don't try this load without carefull work up as it is max in MY ruger and may be to much in yours.

Smile 454 Casull

I pack a rifle when I hunt for just about everything but I never leave home without my trusty Casull. Within 50 yards it gets the Casull, everything else the rifle. In the right hands the Casull would be lethal further out there but that is what I am personally comfortable with. I am shooting a Freedom Arms 4 3/4" barrel Premier Grade with a Magna-Port, trigger job, Express sights, and Rosewood grips replaced with Pachmyr's. 360 grain Cast Performance WLNGC hard cast bullets backed with 27 grains of W-296, CCI 400 primers, and Hornady brass.

Default 454 works for me

I've been hunting almost exclusivley with my 454 for 7 years now. Bread and butter 7.5 Ruger the only change I made was express sights. My pet load doens't follow conventional "wisdom" of this forum but it works for me. 260 gn Partion loaded over 35.5 gn of LIL GUN in winchester brass. after 1500+ rounds I can still hold a 3 inch group at 100 yds sitting on the ground, elbows on my knee's. Thats the way I practise and thats the way I take most of my shots in the field. Moose, Bou, Deer, Brown and Black fuzzies havent complained yet about my "light bullet". Shooting a handgun is more art than a rifle you need to practice every months to maintain good form. I can pick up a rifle after six months and still shoot. Not so with a handgun.

John

Some times it's just not safe to hunt moose with a handgun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzri...eature=related
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

That was 15 minutes of Bob Munden shooting when I got on youtube.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

You mean that the link did show a hammerhead getting hammered in the head?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson