Thread: Ground Squirrel

Default Ground Squirrel

Are ground squirrels worth it this time of year or are they foul tasting and/or infested with parasites?

Just occurred to me that I know where several colonies of the little buggers are and they would make a challenging target. Small twitchy little rat critters them things.

I grew up eating grey squirrel in Oregon. Have not had any of them up here. Shameful that I have been up here for 15 years and have ignored small game for so long.

Betetr to pull a pine boough off the tree and season that.You'll get the same tatste as the squirrel's.Thats just my honest opinion.Daniel

I ate one taken up in the mountains and it was quite tasty. We marinated it overnight in some soy sauce and then mixed it in with noodles and rice. It might have been the lack of real food that made us like it, but after a week of mountain house meals it was a welcome change. The worst part was cleaning it, as those are some fatty suckers this time of year. Given that they eat berries and grass, there is no reason they shouldn't taste good.

ones i've had have been fine, little BBQ sauce and fried in a skillet, but like brian said..mighta been the lack of real food, marmots pretty decent eating as well. i like the soy and rice idea...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Bilder give the little tree dwelling squirrels a pass, however if you liked grays the alpine ground squirrels are going to be a real treat for you! Be prepared they are greasier than your used to but really good table fare!

They are very tough to hit with a bow, faster than they look and they have a communal warning system so if one of the little buggers busts ya they all know to watch out for danger. They are definitely one of the more challenging small game bow hunting critters.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Scoped .22...

... in late March and April when they are sunning themselves by their burrows. Great fun, and I miss doing it.
    Be prepared for fleas. I had to get many for my mother-in-law to make me a parka. They taste just fine stewed with rice or macaroni and canned tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Bilder give the little tree dwelling squirrels a pass, however if you liked grays the alpine ground squirrels are going to be a real treat for you! Be prepared they are greasier than your used to but really good table fare!

They are very tough to hit with a bow, faster than they look and they have a communal warning system so if one of the little buggers busts ya they all know to watch out for danger. They are definitely one of the more challenging small game bow hunting critters.
    I took a tree squirrel this weekend with my .44 shooting bird shot. I skinned him and cooked him over the camp fire with a stick. (Talk about suddenly feeling like a hillbilly.) I still can't get over how tasty he was. I picked through the little carcass looking for pockets of meat like a starving man. I kinda feel bad for them now that I know how good they taste! I'm also trying to tan the hide. I know you can't do much with a squirrel hide, but I want to work my way up to bigger things. I see a lot of my money going out the door to hide treatment.

Anyway, if you don't care for the squirrels, shoot 'em and give 'em to me!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

You should try them as stew. Take about four or more. Clean 'em up sautee 'em whole in olive oil, onion, and garlic till brown. Stew 'em up in water and a dark red wine of your choice for a few hours, adding water when needed. Strain, pull meat, put back in broth, add vegies and thickening agent of choice, (arrow root, corn starch, or roux). Good stuff.