Thread: Afognak Deer

Default Afognak Deer

I am interested in what anyone can share about hunting for deer on Afognak around Labor Day. I will be hunting from boats with skiffs. So I have the mobility to get around a bit. This is a new hunt for me; I have only hunted moose and caribou before and would just like any advice that someone could offer.

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone.

Hunted there 2-3 years ago with MKay. Saw 2 deer down low but most of the sign was up at tree line. Did not have a boat to cruise the shoreline so can't really speak to that aspect. Also saw one brownie and a small band of elk. Weather was lots of wind and clouds and it was above freezing at night.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Clearwater View Post
    I am interested in what anyone can share about hunting for deer on Afognak around Labor Day. I will be hunting from boats with skiffs. So I have the mobility to get around a bit. This is a new hunt for me; I have only hunted moose and caribou before and would just like any advice that someone could offer.

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone.
    Labor Day will still feature lots of green grass and brush. Most of what you see down low along the beaches will be small stuff. Best conditions are early morning low tides. If you're looking more for horns than meat, get out of the skiff and start climbing the nearest peak you can reach, especially one high enough to get above treeline. No guarantee that the big ones will be out basking once you finish the climb, because that depends on weather. But if they're not in the tundra up top, they'll be in the trees on the upper third of the mountain.

It's variable what and when you'll see in the clearcuts. Figure to see most of the bigger bucks right in the treeline around the blocks or close to it. Morning is best, before they move off into the timber or out into the thick stuff in the block to bed down. I figure on them starting to bed between 10 and 11 most days.