Thread: floating and fishing clear creek

Default floating and fishing clear creek

Does anyone have any info on the logistics of a float/fishing trip on clear creek? I'm looking for helicopter services, duration of float, skill level required, preferred gear or anything else that might be helpful. I'm looking to do this trip in the next 2-3 weekends and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Armo

My advice to you is to get a hold of an air service in Talkeetna. I flew out of there a few years back in a chopper but I don't remember the name of the outfit. I was doing radio telemetry work in the spring on rainbows. The fishing in the upper part of the creek is out of this world. Now this was before the 2006 flood so the creek has changed dramatically. Use to take a boat up from the mouth a few miles up but after the flood I won't even try it unless the water is high. Skill level, if you never rafted before I would say look some where else. I don't think you will find any class five rapids but some rafting experence would help. You will more than likely run into bears on the trip so be prepared. Just remember the farther you fly in the longer the float trip. You want to do more fishing than paddling. A fly rod is a must. Lots of rainbows,dollies and grayling. In your time frame salmon will be in the upper creek hence the bears. Like I mentioned call an air service in Talkeetna they should be able to hook you up. Let us know what the experence was like. Have a good time........

Thumbs up Denali Helicopters

My first post on this forum sounded like a sales pitch and here I am at it again. I can't offer alot of info to folks under most circumstances, but in this case I know you won't be disapointed.
    John Frazier,
    Denali Helicopters,
    907-317-9520
    This guy is based at the Talkeetna airport on the south side. He has a old Alouette, can carry five people and has bins on each skid for your stuff. That ship is in NICE shape and can lift something like almost 1 ton of stuff.
    I have seen him first hand drop guys and send them a fishing.
    He also does the lift for the float trip for the rafting outfit in town,(I think thats like a 3 day float) So he knows the creek well.

Now the silvers are heavy, just don't know about regulations.
    Retired Jim is dead on, Nice bows, dolly's and grayling. Little skill required to harvest. Bears heavy most of the time, Creek can get quite ugly under high rain events, good news is, usually its a delayed event and you will know ahead of time.

Look forward to hearing about the adventure when you get back, some of us have to work At least we can live the fun thru you.

Default floating and fishing clear creek

I did the 4 day/3 night float with Talkeetna River Guides in late August of 2004. the
    trip was great and the fishing was great. it was an extremely low water year so we
    only went about 14 miles up the creek and essentially fished our way back out. i have seen
    a video of the stream at normal water level and it appears that the canyons can be class 3
    water. we were the only fishing trip the outfitter did that year and i believe the fishing
    guide is now gone. they used era aviation for the helicopter drop. there was a fellow out
    of talkeetna named travis who was doing trips as of 2 years ago but i have not been able to
    get a hold of him. my research tells me that very, very few people fish the upper and middle
    section of clear creek in a given year so it is remote and there would likely be no one around to assist in an emergency. my opinion is that if the stream is not blown out the fishing is hard to beat anywhere you might want to compare. in fact, we did not even get the chance to fish the upper area which i believe may hold the biggest fish. please,please
    let us know how you make out as i llive in Pittsburgh and only make it up to the greatest of
    states every other year and i have to choose between so many outstanding places like
    Katmai, Clear creek and the Alaska Peninsula. the fly selection was nothing more than the ususal suspects for late august (flesh flies, eggs, cotton candy,etc.)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Does anyone have any info on the logistics of a float/fishing trip on clear creek? I'm looking for helicopter services, duration of float, skill level required, preferred gear or anything else that might be helpful. I'm looking to do this trip in the next 2-3 weekends and any help would be greatly appreciated. Armo
    Hi Armo and others,

We floated the upper Clear Creek down thru the mouth and all the way to Talkeetna Aug. 12th - 15th. A four-day trip.

I wanted to take my son salmon fishing for the first time and chose this trip as part of our Alaskan adventure. First we took the Denali Star train from Anchorage to Talkeetna and stayed at the Susitna River Lodge - http://www.susitna-river-lodging.com/cabins.html

The next day we had a 6 hour fishing trip up to the mouth of Clear Creek and also Fish Creek in a jet boat from Talkeetna River Guides, we caught easy limits of Silvers and as many Humpy's as we could crank in - talk about fun!

The next day we went on the 4-day fly-in/float down Clear Creek, we hired Mat-Su Expeditions - Tim and Brian: http://matsuexpeditions.com/ they used John from Denali Helicopters for the put in.

The trip was fantastic, the fishing was great, and the guides, food, and accommodations were good too.
    The trip was: 2 boats, 2 guides, myself and my 11 year old son and one other guy, Al from back east (what a great guy!).

We had a blast and caught tons of fish, Silvers, Chums, Pinks, Rainbows, and Dollys.

Lots of bears but they did not pay much attention to us, we had spray and our guides had weapons. There is about 6 hours of class 3 white water we went down on our 3rd day.

When we got back, we had a burger at the West Rib, visited the MAYOR of Talkeetna (Stubs the Cat) and went down to the river from the Susitna River Lodge and caught a few more Silvers.

My nephew lives in Anchorage with his wife and son, so they picked us up and brought us back to the big city, we stayed with them a few days before flying back to Montana on Aug. 19th.

Some GREAT memories were made this year in Alaska, Anchorage, Talkeetna, and Clear Creek!

Here are some photos of our trip:

http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/p...view=slideshow

Default RHD

Sounds like an amazing trip. Just wondering if you would want to adopt me?

what was the cost of the 4 day float?

Default I'm no trouble

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    Sounds like an amazing trip. Just wondering if you would want to adopt me?
    I'm with the transplant, you look like a nice guy and we won't be any trouble if you adopt us, perhaps we could get together maybe.... once a year....for a day or four on clear creek....

Seriously, thank you for the time to take and put together that slide show, my dial up would'nt load it but I looked at a friends house, nice job and thanks for the trip details, I for one really enjoyed looking.

Nice slide show, thanks. I moved from Montana to Alaska, have not fished upper clear creek yet, you have renewed my motivation to get up there.
    NRA Lifetime Member

If you don't mind, what were the numbers and sizes of rainbow?

Here is some video of travel and fishing Clear Creek - as far as rainbows go, there were several 16" - 20" each day, also dollies, greyling and salmon.

We (my son and I) did not try to target a particular fish species or method of fishing; we fly fished, spin fished and bait fished the mouth - we really just wanted the fun-meter on as high as it would go.

When you go to YouTube change the settings to: Watch in High Quality (bottom right, below "Views") or the video will look crappy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KleSRN977V4#&fmt=18

Cheers!