Thread: Floating Clear Creek (off Talkeetna)

Default Floating Clear Creek (off Talkeetna)

Has any one ever floated clear creek around this time of year? I'm looking for any info on duration, fishing, campsites, bears or logistics. If any one knows anything I'd really appreciate some tips.

Armo

It changed significantly since the flood in 2006. Make sure you get info that is from this year...which I don't have..sorry.

Default Bears, yes -

Haven't floated Clr Crk. Do usually see bears or sign on Spring/Fall trips to that area. This past spring, fishing a couple miles up Clr Crk with a friend, we saw frequent prints/scat on trails and two blacks along the banks. I saw claw marks on a cabin corner and puncture marks on an old cooler upstream. Camping up a tributary creek a couple years ago, we were scrupulous about keeping all food away from camp/tying it up, etc. At one site, we thought large, fresh prints suggested a brown bear crossed in the night, 10 yards from our tents - or big black maybe.

Campsites? Don't know about way upstream from the mouth. I think 1 or more Talkeetna guide services offer day floats, probably multiday floats too. This year I saw more cabins/private land up Clr Crk than I realized.

Other stuff found; info/perspectives from these forums:
    1. Some fly-in-drop info:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=324725
    2. Not everyone thinks Talkeetna area has bears:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=32074&page=4
    3. Floating and fishing Clear Creek has been done. Nice video clip in this thread - larger group - several rafts:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...archid=1941502

Good luck.

Default Clear Creek

I have taken Mahay's Riverboat service for several years, been dropped off and walked upsteam of CC (although not the past 2
    I have always seen Black Bear sign and had a black bear with cubs come out and look at me as if I was in her fishing spot, she looked for a little bit and decided to move on.
    Also have heard of others saying watch out for Grizz because they have seen them too.
    I would usually walk much further upstream to avoid the crowds...for the most part was quite. Power jet boats do run up that river and beware of them because in this particular area they are very rude. They would zip past me so fast making a big wake and scaring fish seeing I was obvously fishing. I myself try to be considerate of others and slow down for shore fishermen/women. I am sure they won't slow down for a driffter either, they are big A%$H*&ES
    I have seen in the past people drifting down on rafts during the king fishing season.
    Good luck

6x....the last link in your reply didn't work. I'd be intrigued to see a video of the float. Any thoughts?

Default Not sure

Try forum search, advanced search, google outdoors directory.
    I just typed in Clear Creek. Should be there.
    Good luck.