Thread: Moose hunting by canoe

Default Moose hunting by canoe

I'm thinking of using my new 18' Scott Freighter (squareback, fiberglass) canoe during part of this year's general moose hunt. I'll have an electric trolling motor on it, so my overall range is limited.

I'm looking for medium to large lake that I can drive to, surrounded by public huntable land that contains moose. I'll be alone or with my toddler, so no portaging whatsoever.

I'm an experienced capable solo big game hunter - but not in Alaska - this will only be my second season here, so I still know very few areas, and none via canoe.

Any suggestions for a nice lake I could try? I'd appreciate any suggestions for lakes or general areas via post or PM.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I'll have an electric trolling motor on it, so my overall range is limited.
    FYI just in case the battery runs down you could invest in a paddle, they can extend your range indefinately

You are going to be faced with a big challenge to find an area like you are describing. You may try the tangle lakes area, but most people portage several times to get back off the road.

This is a bit of a highjack, but you can buy packable solar panels to recharge your battery. That will extend your range without extending your arms.

Default Got a few good pointers so far

Thanks to you that have PM'd me - I've got a couple of good tips on lakes so far - enough to bring the canoe with me during the hunt in addition to the ATV.

Any more tips would still be welcomed; I leave in about 8 days from now.

Thanks to all - love this forum!

Default moose hunting by canoe.

Have you thought of taking more than one battery? With the large freight capacity of your canoe, it wouldn't take up much of your space.

Did you have to go to Whitehorse to get your Scott, or were you able to get it in Alaska? I'm sure a 15 horse motor would be appropriate and thrifty with your canoe. I hunt moose from a 19' Grumman with a 15 horse 2-stroke Yamaha, w' a lift, and have been able to get into places that the river boats avoid, i.e., low hunting pressure and no competition.

Happy Trails.

Default Sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Have you thought of taking more than one battery? With the large freight capacity of your canoe, it wouldn't take up much of your space.

Did you have to go to Whitehorse to get your Scott, or were you able to get it in Alaska? I'm sure a 15 horse motor would be appropriate and thrifty with your canoe. I hunt moose from a 19' Grumman with a 15 horse 2-stroke Yamaha, w' a lift, and have been able to get into places that the river boats avoid, i.e., low hunting pressure and no competition.

Happy Trails.
    Almost the same setup we use....probable hunting some of the same areas. It's great to be able to get in areas that larger boats don't fit. I love the "5 hp max" rating on the 19' Grummans as you are setting on the 15...

Default Scott freighter

Yes, specifically of stealing my big deep cycle camper battery and letting the truck re-charge them both while afield... but the better course will be to get a 15 hp 4stroke kicker - which is my plan soon - but after the freighter-canoe/motor/trailer all gotten in last two weeks, I've pushed my luck a bit too much around here... at least until the pfd arrives...

No, I got the scott right here, off of craigslist.com - another great source of outdoor stuff in addition to this site here. I got it straight from the guy that fixed every fiberglass 'thing', redid it nice green, and refinished all the oak on the inside. 20 years old I bet, and my wife thought it was a new canoe when I came home with it!

Every scratch on it will be mine... Can't wait to get it wet next week, though I hope personally to stay dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Happy Trails.

Default 4 stroke weight

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yes, specifically of stealing my big deep cycle camper battery and letting the truck re-charge them both while afield... but the better course will be to get a 15 hp 4stroke kicker - which is my plan soon - but after the freighter-canoe/motor/trailer all gotten in last two weeks, I've pushed my luck a bit too much around here... at least until the pfd arrives...

No, I got the scott right here, off of craigslist.com - another great source of outdoor stuff in addition to this site here. I got it straight from the guy that fixed every fiberglass 'thing', redid it nice green, and refinished all the oak on the inside. 20 years old I bet, and my wife thought it was a new canoe when I came home with it!

Every scratch on it will be mine... Can't wait to get it wet next week, though I hope personally to stay dry.
    You are going to really have to front load that boat if you plan to run a 4-stroke 15 on there. With the old 2 strokes, you still need a good amount of weight in the bow to balance the boat out and keep from running too deep in the back. I think the 4-stroke adds another 15 or 20 pounds (at least the first ones out did).

Default moose canoe

Anchskier ....

The Scott freighter is much wider at the stern than our old Grummans. My 19'er has a 12" wide transom. Most of the Scott freighters are 26" wide at the transom, so the extra weight of the 4-stroke isn't as much of an issue. I wanted a Honda 15 horse when I first was looking, but at 101# for the short shaft, it's too heavy for proper trim on my !9'er. I bought a 15 horse 2-stroke Yamaha, which I'm very happy with, that weighs 79#, is quiet, economical, and starts on the first pull, every time, even if it hasn't run for 9 months. My 19'er weighs approximately 120# and is genuinely truck top-able. The 18' Scotts weigh 180#, a bit much for a portage, or manhandling onto a rack by myself. The Scotts are great boats, but fill a somewhat different niche.

Default Not familiar with the Scotts

Sounds like you have things under control. I am only familiar with the 19' Grummans and I know how they are when you are solo and don't have much bow weight. Hard to see where you are going... Works great with the proper balancing though. We have a number of Evinrude and Johnson 15'ers (2-stroke). They are solid engines. Taken a hell of a beating and still work great.

Thumbs up moose canoe

anchskier ....

The Scott freighter canoes are very different from the canoes you and I are accustomed to - much wider and heavier - designed for motors, not paddling - carry heavier loads. They are the work horses of the Canadian Bush. The largest are designed for REAL motors, as much as 50 horse. Handle rough water well. Very stable.

They are not ideal for what i do on small, obstacle laden, often shallow rivers and streams. But they are great boats.

You should go to their website and see what they're about.

http://scottcanoe.com/1_canoes/7_sporting.html

Smile 15hp Scott 18'

I did get a new 15hp for my Scott 18' freighter today. Though the Scott specs say 10 hp is tops, many here seem to say 15hp is fine. I was further encouraged when the outboard salesman told me he has a canoe identical to mine - with a 15 hp motor. I was happy to pay $1995. for the new 4 stroke motor with a 3 yr warranty.

Next week its off to the rivers for a few weeks with my 3yr old boy. I think I'm more looking forward to helping him catch his first fish ever than the possibility of seeing a shootable moose.

If anyone has some specific suggestions for some river runs that would be especially safe and possibly moosey too, PMs would be welcomed with my thanks.