Thread: where to find caribou around fairbanks

Default where to find caribou around fairbanks

I dont have much time for hunting this year and want to try caribou hunting. Where around fairbanks can I get on some caribou? Any help would be great.

Default caribou

well there are a few hunts around you got zone 2 of the 40 mile herd which is up the salcha area where you access it at. you got the hunt down by delta which havent heard anything about that one in a couple years so not for sure if that one is still open. also i think there is on on the north side of the steese up by 12 mile summit. but other than that the only other one is the haul road hope this helps

matt

Default reply

where is this HAUL RD?

Default haul road

well go up the elliot it then turns into the dalton highway. again never been up there but i heard its not a quick trip like 6 to 8 hour drive

The Dalton highway is bow hunting only for the first 5 miles on either side of the road. You CANNOT use any type of vehicle to access beyond the 5 miles from the road. So that being said you need your IBEP and a bow to hunt from the road. It takes 6-8 hrs to coldfoot and depending on where they are at another 6 hours or so. My guess is they are still around pump 2 to happy valley. It can be done in a weekend but you must know the regs. It isnt an easy hunt to do when hiking in the 5 miles. Good luck!

Talking Fairbanks Bou 100%

Get on a plane and come to Kotz in about 3 weeks!

Walt