Thread: Bookmarks?

Default Bookmarks?

OK, this may have been covered before and may sound like a noob for asking, but it is bugging me. What are these for and why are they there?? Obviously I've clicked on them but they pull up a page with seemingly no relevance to.....well anything....

Digg
    del.icio.us
    StumbleUpon
    Google

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    OK, this may have been covered before and may sound like a noob for asking, but it is bugging me. What are these for and why are they there?? Obviously I've clicked on them but they pull up a page with seemingly no relevance to.....well anything....

Digg
    del.icio.us
    StumbleUpon
    Google
    David explained this a while ago and my grasp is that they are there as a byproduct of a deal allowing the forum content to be quereied using each of those meta-search engines.

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    I suppose the best answer for to your question is simply "more visitors." At one level, of course, is that this website is a for-profit venture. But beyond that I would say that I have always enjoyed sharing information about the Alaska outdoors, and this is just another way to help people find the information and this community.

I hadn't thought about the server gasping under the load of a Digg induced rush. But now that I have thought about it, my guess is that we won't see that happen here. If some pop star was part of the program here, or if we had some new "must have" software, or we had hot info on "American Idol", I could see that happening. I suspect what we'll see instead is occasional traffic spikes. We've got quite a bit of capacity here, so I'm hoping that we'll not go down from Digg!

Thanks for the thoughts on this.....David
    and now you know the rrrest of the story

Thanks, so is this just a way to link to other websites through thead information? Does it do this automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Thanks, so is this just a way to link to other websites through thead information? Does it do this automatically?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stumbleupon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del.icio.us

And I am sure you know what google is. The whole thing is just about getting web traffic and sharing information.

Right on, just didn't know if I was missing any features that I might like. Guess I'm not...