Thread: Pics DC001 success

Default Pics DC001 success

A few pics of my Kenai Mtns. hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

congrats on your bou! how about a few details - how far away was he when you spotted him, how far away was he when you shot him and what did you shoot him with, and how far did you have to pack him?

nice bou, well earned!

Default The story

The hunt started out as a last minute scouting trip for the two weeks I had scheduled in September. We (myself and one of my dogs) hiked in from the Seward Hwy. side. When I hit around the 3 mile mark we spotted some sheep,which I also have a harvest ticket for, so I decided to camp out for the night by a small pond. I was hoping to catch something coming in for a drink, sheep or caribou. Well it worked out perfectly, around 9:30 P.M. a lone caribou bull came trotting up the creek, not 75 yards from the camp. I had to reach back into the tent to retreive my rifle, by that time he was around 150 yards away drinking at the pond. One well placed shot and of course he fell into the water. We crossed the creek and gutted it that night. After going back to camp my dog, Loki, sat by the tent most of the night staring at that caribou 150 yards away. I guess he thought he was gaurding it. The next morning I was up at first light to bone it out and pack up camp. Well at least part of it. Took one large package of meat out and submerged the rest in the pond in plastic bags. It was a long 3 miles out. The next day I went back up the mountain, with some help. Myself, a younger friend Jared, my 75 year old father-in-law and both of my dogs. No I didn't make my father-in-law pack anything, but he insisted on going. We packed out the rest of the meat, antlers, cape and camp that day. The dogs were a great help, they both packed out about 20 pounds apiece. It was a great experience and beautiful country above treeline. Maybe I should go back up and try to fill my sheep tag.

Default More pics

My father-in-law and one of my pack dogs.

Wrencher.....dude that is so cool! congrats.Every year I put in for that draw down there.Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dude, that's awesome that your dog was with you! How did you train them not to bark or chase after game when they see it?

Thumbs up Awesome!!

Congrats man!
    My neighbor and I got that draw this year... Did you go in on the Resurection Trail or the Bean Creek Trail? I was down there last weekend scouting, but didn't see anything.. I don't recognize where your pictures were taken. Any info would be GREATLY Appreciated...

Congrats on a nice hunt.

Default Thanks

A quality trip for you and Loki!
    Enjoyed the story/pictures.

Thanks.

What a great hunt! Nice to see FIL still able to get out there with you. The dogs makes it way cool. There used to be a guy around here who took his dog sheep hunting all the time. Was that you?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Not the sheep man

No I'm not the guy you are thinking of, this was my first time up there. My wife and I do take both dogs along on any hikes we do. If I decide to go back to fill my sheep tag one or both dogs will be with me. Thats 40 pounds of stuff that I don't have to haul. For anyone interested in the area, its not some big secret. After lots of research with the topo maps and talking to some old timers I decided to use Summit Creek Trail off of the Seward Hwy.

The trail head is alittle hard to find, its not marked on the highway like all of the other trails are. Its a couple miles north of the Devils Creek TH. It was only a one night scouting trip on Aug. 10 so I stopped at about the 3 mile mark. If you go up there you will see why I decided to stop there and camp. The trail goes up nice and gradually. At 3 miles and 3500' the trail goes over a saddle and drops down almost back to treeline. I didn't want to have to climb back out the next day.

I would be happy to help anyone with info about the area, just send me a message.

Default any others?

Just curious if anyone else has filled their tag yet. Would like to hear the story.

Default I'm sure you know this, but...

...the weather isn't always like that up there. I've camped by that pond during heavy rains, intense blizzards, hi winds, but never as nice as it is in your photos. I almost didn't recognize it. And congrats on your 'bou. I've hunted up there since before it was a permit hunt and I've never seen a caribou. I've heard of, and seen, evidence (like yours) so I keep going back. Thanks for sharing.

Default Nice hunt

That is pretty cool that you had your dogs along. I try to take my Jack Russell Terrorist with me. Well, he terrorizes everything and I end up waiting a few hours for him to come back to me after he is done chasing everything he can find with-in a one mile circumference.

thanks for sharing your story.

Congratulations!!!

Beautiful landscape pics. What camera are you using?

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default Camera

Sorry nothing special, just a cheap disposable camera. Wish I had the digital with me. Almost worth going back just for the photo ops.

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    Sorry nothing special, just a cheap disposable camera. Wish I had the digital with me. Almost worth going back just for the photo ops.
    Really??

Every time I take a disposable with me the pics come out looking like crap. Those are very good quality for a "cheapo".

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default Info

A couple people were wanting info. Look at the previous posts.

Wrencher,
    I've hiked up there and it is beautiful country. Where did you get your Bou? Are you talking before or after the first prominent pass? When I was up there this spring there was still a lot of snow, so no pond. Just curious, I always put in for that permit.
    -bobble

It was before the pass. Yes it is beautiful country. I still have a sheep tag so I'm hoping to kill my moose early next week then I'll have a good excuse to go back up there.Thanks for the reply. Tom