Thread: .35 Whelen loads for TSX

Default .35 Whelen loads for TSX

I ordered some 225 gr Barnes TSX bullets for my .35 Whelen. Do you guys have any pet loads for this bullet? I have a custom Mauser with a 1 in 14" twist rate. Also, what do you recommend for a 250 gr load? I would like to one day use this for moose, bear, and caribou in Alaska.
    Last edited by Dixie Dude; 08-16-2008 at 13:13. Reason: Added a line.

My stainless Ruger MKII with a custom barrel in 1:14 loves 55gr of RL15 with the 225gr TSX for 2700 fps. I think mine might have a tight chamber because most shooters need more thant 55gr to puch them at 2700 fps.

Default Whelen Improved

Currently running 225 triple shock with 60gn of IMR 4350 in Winchester brass at a measured 2890 fps in a SS M70 with a 22.5" SS Douglas barrel with an Ackley Improved chamber- similar load used a 225 Partitions at 2850 for 12 years - has been very successful up here on all critters including sheep - load may be to hot for other guns. Load does not work with Remington brass. Also use 58-59gn R15 for 225 loads in the Improved case. The advantage of a Whelen is bullet mass and field shoot-ability not velocity - the improved version adds 100-150FPS velocity and the case seem to tolerate pressures a bit better but you may lose magazine capacity - I punched out an FN to Improved 06 and went to 4 down verse five - depends on the gun. A Whelen with good bullets will take all Alaska game at proper ranges but you can easily kill caribou with a 270.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    I ordered some 225 gr Barnes TSX bullets for my .35 Whelen. Do you guys have any pet loads for this bullet? I have a custom Mauser with a 1 in 14" twist rate. Also, what do you recommend for a 250 gr load? I would like to one day use this for moose, bear, and caribou in Alaska.

So you guys are saying the 35 Whelen with Barnes TSX bullets can take brown bear?

Considering most folks would rate the 30-06 with a 180 gr @ 2700 fully adequate for brown bear, increasing your bullet weight 25% as well as dia certainly won't hurt

I know folks who've used the 35 whelen and seen it used on the great bears, and they rate it fully equal to the 375 H&H based on how the bears react to the shot.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Ahaaa...the beauty if the 35 bore... This is the bullet I'm currently shooting right now. I have a ruger #1 limited edition walnut/stainless with a 22" barrel. I'm shooting 57.5 gr. of H4895 with fed match mag primers. Now, I can shoot more powder, but in my 22" Bbl I just don't pick up any more velocity...If you have a longer Bbl you will be able to get the increase. This powder was recomended to me when I was working up loads for my 358 WSM, and I find it to be an excellent 35 cal. powder in consistancy, accuracy, and velocity. And yes, that 225 TSX in the 35 Whelen produces unbeliveable wound channels with a drain hole out both sides.

Default 35 Whelen

I used the 35 Whelen last year for Elk and Bear in Idaho. The previous year I used a 270WSM. I used the 140gr Accubond in the 270 and it did OK on Elk, but it just didn't have the smack down I would have liked. Don't get me wrong, I love my 270 and would shoot elk again with it in a heartbeat, BUT, I developed some loads with Reloader 15 and the 225 grain TSX's and man, they shot awesome. I used 60 grains (max charge by my book) and wow, they shot into an inch. I never really got chrono them, but I am sure out of my 24" CDL they were right around 2700FPS. I zeroed the rifle and took it to Idaho. First animal was a black bear at about 50 yards. It was a small mountain black bear (150lbs or so). Shot it in the right front shoulder and bullet traveled the length of bear and rested in the hide. It also broke the hips and rear leg. I was surprised to not see an exit, but bear hide is very thick and springy. Then another shot on an elk at around 100 yards. Through both shoulders and an exit. Destroyed the elks will to live FAST. Never took a step. I have used Barnes in .30 and .284 with the same results. Good wound channel and about a 1-2" exit. The bullet recovered from the Bear weight 221grains (one petal broke off). Overall, you could use other bullets, and I will try some 250's in the Whelen, but man o man, I don't think there is a bullet that is better than the Barnes TSX 225 in the Whelen. Plus it shoots relatively flat for 300 yards when zeroed about 3" high at a hundred. Gives you excellend field utility and power comparable to the great 338WM. Scotty

I love the Whelen.

These are 250 TSX out of a 9.3x62 at 2400 FPS on smaller brown bears.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...5558#665105558
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".