Thread: Which Pixee Hook?

Default Which Pixee Hook?

Which hooks work best for silver salmon with the Pixee lure, the treble or the single siwash? I would think you might hook more on the treble but loose fewer that are hooked on the siwash. We have not fished in Alaska before and want to use the hooks that will increase our chances of hooking and landing fish.

Thanks
    Steelfisher

Quote Originally Posted by steelfisher View Post
    Which hooks work best for silver salmon with the Pixee lure, the treble or the single siwash? I would think you might hook more on the treble but loose fewer that are hooked on the siwash. We have not fished in Alaska before and want to use the hooks that will increase our chances of hooking and landing fish.

Thanks
    Steelfisher
    I think you got the answer.

treble = more hook ups
    Siwash = more landed.

The problem I have with treble though is that you may end up snagging fish involuntarily if they are really thick.
    When they are so thick, sometimes you'll see your lure rub on the back of the fish and if I had a treble in those instances I would have hooked them in the fins and back.

I usually switch mine.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Personally, i use trebles. Only thing I use single hooks for are yarn flies/egg setups

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    Personally, i use trebles. Only thing I use single hooks for are yarn flies/egg setups

Same here, and of course, the venerable RR coho fly

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I have not caught any fish on a siwash on any lure. They just dont grab on the bite.

I use the trebles on the pixies and just set the hook hard two or three times.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default single..

I use the single hook. Better on the fish and more fish to the banks. The bigger the fish, the more it matters.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Some rivers...

... such as Deep Creek only allow a single hook. You either clip 2 from the treble, or switch to the siwash hook. A clipped treble seems to be more wobbly than the siwash.

Default Singles All The Way !!!!!

Use the siwash. Trebles have NO place in a fishery where you can reasonably expect to release a significant portion of your catch.

Mash the barb. This makes release of your fish a snap... a major PLUS on a pink year.

Offset the point slightly from the overall plane of the hook. This helps immensely in maximizing the hookup to strike ratio.

Bend the point in toward the shank slightly. This reduces the bite a bit to keep from taking out an eye. It also helps to reduce the number of mortal bleeders on aggressive fish that attempt to swallow your artificial goods. Most importantly, the resulting near-circular configuration helps to retain a hooked fish MUCH better on a barbless hook... they almost never come unbuttoned.

Carry a de-hooker device.... WAY better than pliers or hemostats or any other handheld device for extracting hooks. I guarantee it.

Dehooked probably 900-1000 pinks in my boat during the first 9 days of August with a no-touch technique that gets the fish off in a flash.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=100185
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Use the siwash. Trebles have NO place in a fishery where you can reasonably expect to release a significant portion of your catch.

Mash the barb. This makes release of your fish a snap... a major PLUS on a pink year.

Offset the point slightly from the overall plane of the hook. This helps immensely in maximizing the hookup to strike ratio.

Great info man! Thanks for sharing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Siwash, but only because I don't want to go through the effort of changing out hooks on my gear just for the couple months that trebles are legal on the Kenai. Most of the year is restricted to single hooks, so that's just the way all my gear stays.

I keep pinks, too. They eat just fine.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Great point trebles are not for C&R. The Laker spoons we use all have a single hook and we have no problems with hook ups. We troll them behind down riggers and they work great.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information.

Bend the point in toward the shank slightly. This reduces the bite a bit to keep from taking out an eye. It also helps to reduce the number of mortal bleeders on aggressive fish that attempt to swallow your artificial goods. Most importantly, the resulting near-circular configuration helps to retain a hooked fish MUCH better on a barbless hook... they almost never come unbuttoned.

Carry a de-hooker device.... WAY better than pliers or hemostats or any other handheld device for extracting hooks. I guarantee it.

Dehooked probably 900-1000 pinks in my boat during the first 9 days of August with a no-touch technique that gets the fish off in a flash.

Excellent info. The de-hooker replaces a length of line wrapped around the bend of the hook in the Swedish (or was it Norwegian) technique for pulling a hook out of a foul hooked fisherman. It works painlessly on people, I have used the technique a couple of times. It keeps the barb from tearing new tissue on its way out.

I have caught a number of Russian River bows with mouthfulls of scar tissue. We should all be using the de-hooker. Give the fish as painless a release as possible.
    NRA Lifetime Member

By the way, I have used both treble and siwash, prefer siwash for landing fish. The treble provides leverage to work the hook loose. I use siwash on flutter spoons trolling in salt water. Hooked and landed a nice 15 lber on Fri on green coyote spoon--too small for the Seward Derby with the leader at 18+ lbs now. Note that if you have your fish weighed, the city owns them and it will cost you $5.00 to get your fish back!!
    NRA Lifetime Member

I have been meaning to make a hook remover for a year now, but procrasternated so far.
    I was wondering how well these hooks work on circle hook removal. Thanks if you can.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Careful switching to the Siwash. The eye of the hook is left open so you can slip it onto the split ring easily. If you open the split ring and slide the hook on that way, i.e. without noticing the open eye on the hook, then the hook will disappear on your first cast. Don't ask me how I know...

Brian

PS: Doesn't anyone like Gamukatsu hooks? They are my favorite ...much better than that Siwash they give you.

UMMM maybe I don't understand but I have always thought that Siwash hooks have the eye left open so you can hook them over the retaining rings on a big game fish lure (which are welded instead of a split ring) and then crimp that opening down with a set of pliers so the hook won't come off and the hook point is parallel to the shank. I don't think Siwash is a specific brand but instead is a type of hook so it doesn't matter which brand of hook you prefer. I have always replaced any treble hooks on new lures with Siwash single hooks and have never regretted it - and for whatever it's worth, I usually use Owner hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Careful switching to the Siwash. The eye of the hook is left open so you can slip it onto the split ring easily. If you open the split ring and slide the hook on that way, i.e. without noticing the open eye on the hook, then the hook will disappear on your first cast. Don't ask me how I know...

Brian

PS: Doesn't anyone like Gamukatsu hooks? They are my favorite ...much better than that Siwash they give you.

Default get rid of the pixees

A single hook a piece of yarn and a medum split shot about 18 in up. Yarn orange, green, pink, and red not in that order. I only lost about $4.00 this year and have plenty of silver to show for it

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I usually use Owner hooks.
    Owner brand Mutu Lights......they are the best. Trolling is the only time I use J hooks.......most anything else it's the Mutu's.

Default De-Hooker

Thanks Fishnphysicaian.

There’s a Pic of a Birch De-Hooker that my 10 year made for me this year, It has released many fish allready. Thanks for the info.

Attached Images Attached Images