Thread: 5th Annual company derby

Thumbs up 5th Annual company derby

Yesterday was our annual trip when I take the crews out fishing on the company nickle. Last year we had 23 men, so the 8 that went this year was not the usual madhouse and we had a blast.
    I booked the FV Servant thru Fish House charters and had Eric as the skipper. He grew up in Seward and really knows the water.
    We started out in Montague Straights for halibut. It was similar to 2 weeks earlier when I took the Right Of Way out there. Lots of fish, but no braggers. We all limited, letting lots of small ones go. The action was good, lots of bites and fish coming up all the time. We also got one ling and one pretty little rock fish that I had never seen before.
    On the way back in we hit Johnstone Bay for silvers. The first drift it was fast and furious. I had one on the deck in seconds and a second fish as soon as the herring got wet. We took 7 the first pass. We lost the school after that and it was slow, but not dead for the next hour. We ended up with 14 Silvers. I picked up a small halibut fishing close to the bottom, which was fun on the light gear. We were about 1/2 mile off the beach where the headlands drop down into a pebble beach on the west side, just drifting with the wind. The routine was to drop the herring chunk down for a 10 count and slowly reel back up. I was top rod because I didn't wait for the big hit. If I felt a small bump I tightened the line and buried steel at the first sign of resistance. I also changed up my routine sometimes letting line out for a 15-20 count or going clear to the bottom. 4 of the silvers were 16 lbs.+ and we even got one king about 25 pounds.
    Eric was a great skipper. He gave me some halibut holes to hit on my own boat. He also told me about a creek that dumps into the ocean that will load up a bay with silvers. He won't take the charter boat there because he has never seen anyone fish that spot and doesn't want to give up a "secret" sweet spot that he fishes on his own time.
    It was a great day on the water and everyone went home with a big bag of fish. Seward 2 weeks ago, Homer last weekend and Seward yesterday, the freezer and life are looking good!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Dang

I wanna come work for you

I'm glad you had a great time and your freezer is full! You certainly deserve it!

Tight lines!

where do you work?

Default yeah

me to, ill send the resume asap.

Thumbs up A few good linemen wanted!

I am the manager for Alcan Electrical & Engineerings outside line department. That's the high voltage division, we build powerlines & substations.
    We usually miss the company picnic during the heat of the season, so I started taking the guys out for the fishing trips and it is a lot more fun than hanging out in a park in Anchorage.
    I swear next year we are doing it in early June so we miss the chilly rain!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it