Thread: Would you buy a boat out of state?

Default Would you buy a boat out of state?

I saw a boat that I've been wanting on ebay (a 24' walk around), but the boat is in Virginia.

Any advice for buying a boat out of state? Has anyone on this site ever done it? What about shipping it? What are the most important things to find out (I know one of them is if it floats)?

Some one on here said that it is cheaper to ship your boat up on the Alaska ferry system then like Totem or some other barge shipper. They will let you put just the boat and trailer on it, so you wouldn't have to drive down. If you buy a boat I would have some one look at it. Good luck on your search

I would hesitate a bit if i had not looked at it in person. At the very least, do the research and have a reputable marine surveyor take a look at her. Spend a little money now rather than finding out that the hull has issues and spending a pile later. Just my thoughts.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

No, unless it was new and the manufacturer had a dealer here too.

only way i would do it was to go look at the boat myself and then tow it up here myself.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

If you decide on a boat that meets all your needs and is the boat you really want, then I would: Have it surveyed by a marine survey, if the survey produces a positive result then I would fly down and look at the boat myself and test drive it. Only at that point would I consider buying it. It would have to be a boat I really wanted though to go through the hassle, $$, and logistics. My two cents.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

I second DMAN,never buy (especially) a used boat without a real test,load,run in rough water and check the trailer, (it should be rated for 10 to 15% more than the boat all loaded for a trip.

I have purchased two cars on the net. Believe the keys are; have some conversations, not on line, on the telephone, with the seller, trust your intuition and do not get emotional about the boat, check out the seller, there are several ways to do this on line, you can determine how long the seller has lived in the same place, eBay, of course, has feedback scores on sellers. I would not consider buying from a seller who didn't have at least 100 positive feedbacks from BUYERS. A trick oft times used by new sellers is to get a bunch of positive feedback from sellers of low cost items, then they list the big ticket item to sell and claim to have 100% feedback. Of course the surveys recommended above are important too, but with the cars, I did not go that route and was happy with both purchases.

just remember that a marine survey is only somebodys opinion on a boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default sure!

I have buoght 4 boats and brought back. But each one I went down and dealt directly with the seller. I found that adds on the net are most often misleading and the boats are never the quality you expect. Actually, only once did I end up buying the boat that I went to look at. The rest I bought on my way home.

Thumbs down I was that fool once...

I got pictures, I spoke to the owner many times on the phone, I spoke with the previous owner on the phone, I spoke with the owner of the marina it was parked at, I sent the pictures to boating buddies for their thoughts. When I went to get it everyone I had spoke with was a complete liar! It was a painted over turd! (I did purchase a brand new trailer that is way nicer than what they make or sell in Alaska, so I kinda' landed on my feet,
    -sorta of.) GO SEE IT!!!

Default buy out of state

in some cases expecially for used ocean boats larger than 26ft I would go out of state. Heres why. The boats are in better shape (just walk the dock in a seattle harbor). The boats are cheaper (my last ocean boat I bought in seattle, paid to have it shipped up, put new electronics in it, used it for the summer, and then sold it for a small profit over the total amount of money I had invested). Much more selection. I would recomend going and looking at it first hand. ($1000.00 plane ticket is cheaper than a $10000.00 engine).

Bought my currant boat site unseen in WA, pulled it home last April; would do again. Had someone go check out the boat, good correspondence with the owners, and felt good about the deal.
    Cost me less than $2000 in total expenses driving down and pulling the boat home. Of course I slept in the truck and on the boat during the return trip, and never bought meals. Kept a cooler in the cab with goodies and drove, drove, drove.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default cost a bunch to ship to Anchorage

Thanks for all the feedback. I've researched how much it would cost to ship a boat 23' from Virginia and it's a bunch. From Virginia to the west coast, the going rate by road is 1.60 a mile. That comes out to be something like 4,500.
    Then shipping by sea from Tacoma or Seattle to Anchorage or Whittier I was quoted 4420 and 5924. The state ferry is 3674, but you need somebody to be able to take it off and on the ferry in Juneau.

If I do end up getting a boat out of state, I will be looking at the west coast.

I bought a used Osprey in Va this spring and had it shipped to Anchorage and still saved significantly. We did fly down and look at the boat and sea trial it. The motor was still under warranty and a boat this size is easy to inspect so i did not do a survey. We checked all systems and made sure they worked. I hired a driver to tow it all the way to anchorage and the only problem was one blown tire which broke the fender on the the trailer. Of course we had to make it Alaska worthy with a kicker dingy etc but still saved money. The boat market outside is very very soft so some deals can be had. I made a very low offer from the asking price (60%) and only came up $1500 to make the deal. I used the web site U ship.com to find a shipper and had a good experience. It turns out there are alot of retired guys with big trucks who deliver boats all over the country. It took 7 days for my boat to get here from Va. We have put over 150 hrs on it so far this summer w/out problems so I would not hesitate to do it again.

Default uship

Quote Originally Posted by akexpress34 View Post
    I bought a used Osprey in Va this spring and had it shipped to Anchorage and still saved significantly. We did fly down and look at the boat and sea trial it. The motor was still under warranty and a boat this size is easy to inspect so i did not do a survey. We checked all systems and made sure they worked. I hired a driver to tow it all the way to anchorage and the only problem was one blown tire which broke the fender on the the trailer. Of course we had to make it Alaska worthy with a kicker dingy etc but still saved money. The boat market outside is very very soft so some deals can be had. I made a very low offer from the asking price (60%) and only came up $1500 to make the deal. I used the web site U ship.com to find a shipper and had a good experience. It turns out there are alot of retired guys with big trucks who deliver boats all over the country. It took 7 days for my boat to get here from Va. We have put over 150 hrs on it so far this summer w/out problems so I would not hesitate to do it again.

I've heard about that uship thing. How much did you pay to get it up here?

I had three quotes from $6000 to 6900 all inclusive from Va to Anchorage. I choose one that had the best communication with me prior to shipping and it worked out great. Feel free to PM me if you wish. BTW the shipper didn't require payment until the boat arrived in Anchorage. I found the shippers thru U ship but actually hired directly with him.