Thread: Savage?

Default Savage?

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with a savage 110E (one I'm looking at is .30-06). The good, the bad, the ugly? Also, what would be a fair price for blued/wood stock? Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has any experience with a savage 110E (one I'm looking at is .30-06). The good, the bad, the ugly? Also, what would be a fair price for blued/wood stock? Thanks...
    They're not fancy and they're not smooth, but DANG! Are they ever tough and accurate. I'd say dollar for dollar they're the best buy on the market. You won't spend as much on them as most other guns, but they'll compeat well for accuracy and reliability. Think of them as a plain, workman-like tool that will get the job done for generations. I'm a fan.

No idea on current prices. Once you buy one, there's no need for replacements.

I don't know about the 110 but I bought a 114 Classic about a month ago in 30-06 and have been VERY happy with it. I paid a little over $500. I could have bought a much more expensive gun but I liked the Savage the best. The trigger is outstanding (make sure you get the AccuTrigger) and the gun is very accurate. The fit and finish are very good but not perfect, due to a very minor finish flaw under the bolt handle. As I said, I'm happy with the gun and plan to keep it.

They are good and they are ugly...LOL...

I have a .22-250 varmint rifle that they used to build on the long action. It's the most accurate rifle I own. 1/2" groups with Rem factory ammo if I do my part at 100 yards. Better when I handloaded for it.

Savages aren't 'show' guns...they're 'do' guns. They've always had ugly stocks and lousy triggers and shot great. Now they have the accu-triggers and the triggers are now good. They are improving the stocks as well with the Classic models and models with laminated stocks. The added advantage to a Savage is that with their barrel mount system, it is a fairly easy proposition to swap out barrels, meaning that if you want an unusual or rare caliber it is, for the most part, no big deal to have one. I have two...a .25-06 that I bought as a package gun and put a synthetic stock on, as well as my choice of scope, base, and rings, and a Weather Warrior 7mm Rem Magnum. I currently have a Tikka T3 on layaway in .30-06, because those suckers are light, and at $399 for a leftie, it was/is a deal. The Tikka's are probably Savage's main competition. Another good, accurate rifle at a good price. And they both provide for us left-handed shooters.

I have no qualms at all about recommending either Savages or Tikkas. If your main concern is functionality, performance, and accuracy, and you're not concerned about prestige or bragging about how expensive your rifle is, get a Savage or a Tikka. They work, and they work good.

Default Savage

I have a 111 in 30.06 and it's the rifle I place my most confidence in. It's pre- Accu-trigger, but I was able to fix it and make the original trigger work well. It's a light and easy to carry rifle. It's a miracle rifle because it can create energy by taking the kick of a 30.06 and making it feel like the latest super-duper mega magnum.

My only complaint is the cheesy plastic stock and I would like to replace it someday. A nice stock would make it a quality rifle.

Did I mention that it's ugly? After spending a couple days deer hunting in S.E, the metal turns to a nice red patina color no matter what miracle rust preventative I use on it. Steel wool cleans it up. One of these days, I'm thinking about a nice Rustoleum finish for it since most of the original black coating has worn off and it's getting a good shine going on.

It's going sheep hunting in a couple weeks while my Rem 700's and Rug M77 sit in the gun safe. The ol'e Savage shoots straight every time and doesn't care what cartridge I use in it (It likes Federal Premium Vital-Shok HE the best in 180 grain and Nosler Partitions P3006R).

So I take it you cannot put an accu-trigger in one that doesn't have one?

The old triggers can be made to be pretty dang good by a gunsmith. I did my own on my .22-250 and it breaks at 2lbs.

Accuracy is much better than the price tag would indicate. They are tack drivers and a heck of a value!

Default me 2

I've been shopping them a bit myself. I'm looking to buy one for each of my two boys. I figure Savage was the way to go having to buy two at a time. The prices kind of surprised me though they are closing in with everybody else. Maybe it was just SW. I saw a gun there for $670 and the same one on gunbroker for about $550.

They are claiming their recoil pad is better than leading aftermarket brands (Limbsaver?) I felt one, it seemed good in the store. Also digging the muzzle brake that turns off or on.

Default why not ruger

Ruger is made in the USA. I had a .22 savage and it was made in canada. Yes the actions are rough and I thought it to be rediculous and like they just didn't care about fit and function. Rugers are good shooters and not much more. Better looking and lots of accessories easily found. You get what you pay for. Honestly though never checked out any of their large caliber rifles.

got a stevens 200 (basically a savage with the old trigger) in 300 win mag. swaped the barrel for a 458 win mag. shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards. 500 gr hornadys at 2000 fps. Prob shoots better but the recoils is large. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Like a 12 ga w/ 3" mag slugs. Maybe a little more... cost me $500 with the barrel...

Smile

Don`t know about that one but savage in general have a great trigger and are accurate .

I had a .22 savage and it was made in canada.
    How long ago? Upper Susitna shooters have some Savage .22's with Accu-Trigger and they are excellent rifles.

Default I have a model 100E

in a .270 and it is definitely a keeper. It was the first gun that my dad gave me when I was old enough to hunt in Montana. Like everyone has said, it is not long on looks but for reliability you can't go wrong. The only thing that I never really have liked is the clip button on the side of the stock. I have had the clip come loose when taking off hand shots and supporting the gun under the magazine with my off-hand from pushing the button unintentionally. Really fouls up a follow up shot if needed. Trigger was just worked over by Alaska Custom Firearms and it breaks around 2.75 # and crisp. I wouldn't think that you would have to give over 350 for one (my opinion, I think that it was around a 350 dollar new price in the mid 80's, and with inflation and such I wouldn't think that that would be unreasonable). Just my two cents on them. Take care

Default Canadian 22?

Savage started out in Utica NY in 1895. They moved to Chicopee MA in 1946. In 1960, they moved to Westfield MA. I can't find any referance to them ever being in Canada. You might have a collectable there. lol

Default I sold the rifle

to snowwolf on here. I am not 100% on the name, but from what I recall it was savage with accue trigger. Maybe a marlin, not sure anymore. But 100% sure it was made in canada. Printed right on the box. I pulled the excess metal off the gun's action, long strip of metal on the bolt, bent a few times it broke right off. whatever the brand it was rough action honestly I hate buying canadian products. If I had known before hand would never have bought the thing. The rough action is just not excusable though, piss poor more like it.

I have a savage 110 e in 30-06. Have killed 4 moose and a couple of black bears with it. Like everyone has said on here they are not pretty but they shoot. Mine shoots sub moa. I would strongly suggest if this is a hunting gun throw away the wood stock and add a composite stock. You will have one good hunting rifle and it will take the abuse of hunting in alaska. Plus you will not worry about scratching it when you are in the field.