Thread: LOAD EXPERIENCE FOR THE 150gr E-TIP

Default LOAD EXPERIENCE FOR THE 150gr E-TIP

I am going to take a chance and work with the 150gr E-tip. I am looking for any of your experience loading the 150gr E-Tip for the 30-06.

My Mark V 30-06 should be back at the latest in two weeks after having a B&C Metalist Stock in Olive/Black installed (bedded & free-floated), tuned trigger, and Cera-Kote finish on the rifle, bases and rings. Will be top with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm.

Many of you already know of some load development I have done with this 06 and it has been very successful. I am looking to develop a load using the 150gr E-Tip.

I would like powder choices and charges, primer choices, brass choices, and OAL (any thing peculiar to this bullet and seating depth) concerning your most accurate loads that had good velocities.

The powders I will try in my opinion for accuracy and velocity will be IMR4350 and H4350 but would like to know what you all have accomplished in this area.

I have ordered the 150gr E-Tips and a box of Nosler Brass. Please take the time to respond to this post so as to save me time and money and which will allow me to have a good experience with the E-Tip.

I believe this will be by design an accurate, hard hitting load that will penetrate without petals braking off and can be used for whitetail as well as black bear. If this bullet gives me accuracy and fast velocities for my 06, it could become an all around load for my all around hunting rifle the Mark V 30-06. Thank you for any consideration.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am going to work on new loads to see if I can get the 168TSX to group better because velocities were over 3000fps. I have some 150gr E-Tips on the way with some Nosler brass and will compare my loads with Nosler brass in accuracy and velocity with Winchester brass. If I can get the 150gr to shoot accurate and with good to excellent velocity, it could become my all around load for my 06, due to a BC of .469 and strong construction of the bullet with the potential ability to open at 06 velocities from 0-500yds but also it is not suppose to shed petals like the TSX does. I know of one person personally who is using 59gr of IMR4350 with the E-Tip and is at 2945fps out of a 22" barrel and is shooting his groups under and inch with no over pressure signs. The way my Mark V 06 is shooting and the consistent velocities over 3000fps and my 24" barrel, I should have no problem duplicating or going over the above data.

If I was to get only 2975fps out of my 24" barrel here is what it would look like for trajectory.

2.6" high at 100yds
    2.1" high at 200yds
    0.0" zero at 250yds
    -3.5" low at 300yds
    hold on top shoulder at 350yds good out to 425-450yds
    retained velocity at 500yds is 2061 and the E-tip consistently opens up at 1900fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I was thinking about all that we have said to each other about the 30-06 on this forum. As you know I have tried just about every cartridge and rifle make there is out there to try in the 30+ years of shooting and hunting.

When it comes to push and shove and just a true all around general purpose cartridge that has more potential and uses than 90% of hunters today would or could take advantage of, from 125gr moving 3200fps to 240gr bullets moving 2450-2500fps, the 30-06 simply has no rival.

From shooting varmints to moose, big bears, hogs and all the deer type game including some long shots on antelope, coyote and in all kinds of terrain and conditions the 30-06 again has no rival in the role of a true utility cartridge.

Now I say this in light of the fact that I think all hunting if you want to call it hunting should take place from 0-300yds with only and exceptional shot out past 350 - 400yds. In my opinion and I did say my opinion, anything else is not really hunting but only shooting at targets.

In Mississippi and where I hunt here it truly is the champion of all cartridges but I suspect even out west where I have killed black bear, mule deer and coyote with an 06, it still has no rival if one truly knows how to use the 06 and it's versatility. How is that for one of my rants

PS Don't take this post personal if you are not a fan of the 30-06, it does take time to mature through the years of hunting, reloading and shooting to come to my conclusion for the third time in my life. Yes!!! I have three times and this being the third come back home to the 30-06. Maybe I am old enough, wise enough to enjoy the 30-06 for what it is and have fun will all the other cartridges I have learned to like.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I called Nosler to see if they had any data on the 300 WSM and the 180 ET's with H4350 and they didn't. They recomended backing off a grain or two for a starting load for other 180 gr bullets and working up because of the bearing surface of the ET. I'm guessing you should be able to find your max pretty quick and hopefully won't take long to find your sweet spot. I'm a temperature stable powder man all the way, so it's nothing but the Hodgdon Extreme powders for me, even if it means loosing a few fps. They are accurate and consistant. Will be interested in your results.

Since you highjacked your own thread about the .06, I'll bite and give my $.02 (hope Murphy is reading this) IMHO the .06 is the best mediocre cartridge of all time . Your thread a while back on it's nostalgia pretty much summed it up, that is to say, nostalgia is a big reason why the .06 is so popular. It has been around for ever and everyone's dad, grandpa and great grandpa went to war and hunted with it. Mom, apple pie, cheverolet and the .06... well I'm a Ford man amd my dad wasn't a shooter. My grandad only hunted with a shotgun and my uncle, who taught me to hunt, used a .308 which was the perfect PA deer rifle. So I don't have all that brain washing.

At one time the .06 *was* the best all around hunting rifle for NA but a lot of cartridges that have been developed since. IMO, any of the 7mm mags edge out the .06 and the 300 mags beat it hands down. If you give me a choice between an .06 and a 300 mag to hunt elk or bear with, the answer is real easy for me as well as any other game, especially out West here, where a good flat shooting gun comes in handy.

So yeah, the .06 is a real good cartridge, the best mediocre cartridge of all time, and you should be able to get by with it most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I called Nosler to see if they had any data on the 300 WSM and the 180 ET's with H4350 and they didn't. They recomended backing off a grain or two for a starting load for other 180 gr bullets and working up because of the bearing surface of the ET. I'm guessing you should be able to find your max pretty quick and hopefully won't take long to find your sweet spot. I'm a temperature stable powder man all the way, so it's nothing but the Hodgdon Extreme powders for me, even if it means loosing a few fps. They are accurate and consistant. Will be interested in your results.

Since you highjacked your own thread about the .06, I'll bite and give my $.02 (hope Murphy is reading this) IMHO the .06 is the best mediocre cartridge of all time . Your thread a while back on it's nostalgia pretty much summed it up, that is to say, nostalgia is a big reason why the .06 is so popular. It has been around for ever and everyone's dad, grandpa and great grandpa went to war and hunted with it. Mom, apple pie, cheverolet and the .06... well I'm a Ford man amd my dad wasn't a shooter. My grandad only hunted with a shotgun and my uncle, who taught me to hunt, used a .308 which was the perfect PA deer rifle. So I don't have all that brain washing.

At one time the .06 *was* the best all around hunting rifle for NA but a lot of cartridges that have been developed since. IMO, any of the 7mm mags edge out the .06 and the 300 mags beat it hands down. If you give me a choice between an .06 and a 300 mag to hunt elk or bear with, the answer is real easy for me as well as any other game, especially out West here, where a good flat shooting gun comes in handy.

So yeah, the .06 is a real good cartridge, the best mediocre cartridge of all time, and you should be able to get by with it most of the time
    Yea, it is one cartridge that will let me get buy no matter what, kind of cool. Oh, by the way, my dad did not hunt, my grandpa used a 44-40 and a Winchester model 12. I love guns from 22-250 to 460Wby and especially the 300Wby and 375Wby but when it come to push and shove I could see myself with a cartridge I could get buy with most of the time. Oh, yes, 7mm mag can't push a 240gr bullet at 2450-2500fps so it really did not take the place of the 30-06. Don't you just love this talk about guns and cartridges with our opinions as the standard
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS