Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down on Leupold!

Default Down on Leupold!

Why am I running in to so many people that are down on Leupold? Now this is gettin old! Am I the only one whose had one for the past 20yrs(an 87 model Vari-X lll 3.5-10x40AO I bought used in 88 for $200)that has NEVER failed in the field or was of such"poor optic quality"that it cost a shot. I sent it to Leupold last summer after 20yrs of HARD use(it shows it to) because the AO ring was tightening up. They fixed it,gave it a check up,nothing else was wrong,and now all's good again. Yea,it was for free but for the service that scope has given me I would of paid to had it fixed with no questions asked. I've got and use other makes of scopes but if I could only have one it would be my 3.5-10. Gonna go eat a bowl a nails now!

til later

I like my cheap leupy rifleman 3-9, I don't think it is as clear as my zeiss and it doesn't have great eye relief like my zeiss. With the Zeiss I can go from 3x to 9x without ever adjusting my cheek weld, the eye relief is constant which is a feature that I really wanted to help lower the likelyhood of getting scope bit while shooting prone from an awkward rest. The leupy rests on top of my Tika T3 270wsm sheep gun now, it is lighter than any zeiss which matters in the mountains and at this point I see no reason to "upgrade".

I am one of those people that has always looked at german optics before leupold, but I must say I love the fact that they still make scopes in a Glossy finish. They are one of the few, and sometimes with a high blue gun, nothing goes better than a black glossy scope and a gold ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Why am I running in to so many people that are down on Leupold? Now this is gettin old! Am I the only one whose had one for the past 20yrs(an 87 model Vari-X lll 3.5-10x40AO I bought used in 88 for $200)that has NEVER failed in the field or was of such"poor optic quality"that it cost a shot. I sent it to Leupold last summer after 20yrs of HARD use(it shows it to) because the AO ring was tightening up. They fixed it,gave it a check up,nothing else was wrong,and now all's good again. Yea,it was for free but for the service that scope has given me I would of paid to had it fixed with no questions asked. I've got and use other makes of scopes but if I could only have one it would be my 3.5-10. Gonna go eat a bowl a nails now!

til later
    Probably because they don't know better...

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Why am I running in to so many people that are down on Leupold?
    Because lots of guys think that buying German is better. I am with the guys that realize what Leupold offers and for a pretty **** good price and service that is unbeatable as far as I am concerned.

I think Leupold is taking a lot of shots because there are more scope companies out there offering lifetime warranties and that are catching up on customer service. These are two areas that gave Leupold a big advantage for a long time. Some of Leo's competition is also offering better glass for a cheaper price to to along with those lifetime warranties.

If a guy goes to the store and can pick up a $200 scope with a lifetime warranty, decent customer service and equal or better glasss than a $300-$400 Leo, then your going to hear some people making comments.

I think Leupold still puts out a better quality product than most companies out there, but if I have a rifle I know I'm not going to be hard on, than I'm probably going to consider another manufacturer.

Another Leupold fan here with four in the safe. I have 1 older Vari-X II 3-9 compact, 1 Vari-X III 2.5-8, 1 VX-III 2.5-8, and one of the early 8.5-25's that has the 1 inch tube (not the 30 mm tube). I've never had a SINGLE problem in any regard with any of them. The industry has become much more competive, especially with the Nikon options and the Zeiss Conquest. However my Leupie's have proven themselves so bombproof that I have a hard time changing. I recently had a custom M70 built and considered topping it with Euro glass, but in the end old reliable won out. I'm not disparanging other makes, nor do I think my choice is the only one, but for my they just plain work.

Brent

I like what AK Wonderer said about letting how HARD a rifle will be used decide on what scope to choose. As I would tell my kids when they'd rave to me about a new band "if they're still doin it in 15 or 20yrs then they're good". Same with scopes. Leupold's been doing it a loooong time. There are other makes that are optically better,match or beat Leupolds warrenty,etc. But lets see what 20yrs of hard but not abusive use shows. Until then I've got to go with what I know works.

til later

Every rifle in my safe has a Leupold except one and it wears a Burris Select.

Bargain basement optics are no bargain in my book.

I'm fond of leupold scopes, and have a few thoughts of why folks are down on leupold.

Some folks don't understand the difference between what makes a good binocular, and what makes a good scope. Let's face it, the europeans know how to make good binos, and they leave leupy in the dirt. But, a rifle scope isn't intended to be used for searching out game all day long.

If a scope is provided with the same crystal clear optics, that is great, but ultimately what matters in a scope is a device that will consistantly allow you to place the shot on the target shot after shot. That requires solid construction, repeatable erectors and sufficient eye relief and not weighing a ton. Leupold has built a solid reputation of consistantly provding a product that does that, shot after shot, year after year.

The other thing that has probably ticked folks off is leupold has been swapping around what they call their scopes, jacking up prices, but really not improving their basic lines.

And finally, it's hard to take a company seriously that comes out with the ultimate stupid gimic scope.

There is a reason lenses are round, and that stupid cutout makes for a weaker scope that is more likely to leak, while adding expense and gaining nothing.

As mentioned earlier, I prefer european scopes and I really think the VX -L is as about as big as a gimmic as their is....HOWEVER, I recently acquired a VX - 7 from a buddy who was having some hard times and Leupold really has something going with this line...I can't tell any difference between it and the Swarovski Z6...But still not better than my Schmidt Bender.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    If a guy goes to the store and can pick up a $200 scope with a lifetime warranty, decent customer service and equal or better glasss than a $300-$400 Leo, then your going to hear some people making comments.

I think Leupold still puts out a better quality product than most companies out there, but if I have a rifle I know I'm not going to be hard on, than I'm probably going to consider another manufacturer.
    Saving a hundred to get a scope that might not make it is bad economics. You save buying a better quality product. Can't imagine going on a trip and having a scope bust after spending a few thousand.

Companies often use a life time warranty to make you buy crap, not because it can last a life time. Few of these companies give a crap because their imported scopes are so cheap that its inexpensive to replace them if they have to. The cost of manufacturing a Leupold, Lightforce, Swaro, etc. is WAY higher than low end scopes. The low end folks just grab another off the shelf and ship it out because they'd have no idea how to fix yours.

Optical quality is nice, but for me its less important than reliability by a long shot. I haven't looked through bad glass on any manufacturer in a long time.

Default things equal or close to equal buy American

Fine scope, always world class service, AND an American company. Prefer to buy here than send $ to Euro countries that aren't backing our play in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Default leo

i too am a leo fan with 4 in the safe. as far as im concerned there isnt another scope out there. the customer service is second to none. i have a leo that was in a car rollover with me about 5 years ago, it got a big nick in the metal and got all scratched up but it still holds true. there are many other stories like this out there. now try to beat up another scope like this that is cheaper and see what happens your gonna have nothing but problems.

Default leupold service is top notch

there is no doubt that leupolds srevice is the best in the industry. send it in and they will fix it usually with no charge. when I was looking for a scope to put on my new 338 the saleman were going back and for about leupold and ziese. both are great why not buy a scope that you don'T have to send in I bought the ziese good luck

Hey Steve, welcome to the site.
    Really Sightron has the best warranty. Just take it to where you bought it and you get a new one. But just because a manufacturer has a great warranty doesn't necessarily mean your going to need it. As far as buying a scope you don't have to send back,never say never. And good luck to you to.

til later

I'm with Paul H on this one. Superior optics means little to me in scopes. I want superior durability, eye relief, and lightweight scopes. Leupold gives me the best combination of these. You find game with your binos, not your scope. If you cant find game in your scope because the optical quality isnt good enough, your probably to far to shoot.

Default Viva Tasco !!!

...just kidding...I was a borke-***** and had the Tasco shomething-a -whatsis that came on a Browning BLR my Dad bought me for a couple years. Really dissappointed with the performance of the rifle. "Yeah, sure, I'm sure the scope has something to do with the poor shooting, but I'm not much of a shot...Besides, I really can't afford to buy a decent scope..." was how the conversation re my BLR usually went. Well, I've finally got one of those c-words (careers) and I can finally afford a decent scope. I bought Leupold rings and a Rifleman scope...very utilitarian...and low-and-behold, now the rifle shoots about 2 MOA instead of 2 MOM (minute of Moose). I have to remember to compensate for the whole parallax thing, but as long as I remember to keep an equal ammount of black around the entire sight picture, golden. Could have bought a more expensive Leupold and not had the parallax issue, but I love this scope...Holds it's zero regardless of temperature and weather variables. It's like a timex...I can sling my rifle across my shoulders and bounce-off across the tundra on my snogo at -20f, smack it with willow branches in tight sections, encounter temp inversions of 40 degrees, ice-fog, snow, sleet, rain, and be confident I will hit what the cross-hairs say I'll hit when I send lead and copper downrange. The Leupold Rifleman isn't the most expensive in their product offerings, so I can only imagine how their other scopes stack-up. The Rifleman is my first Leopold and most assuradly will not be my last.

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

I have avoided posting on his thread for a long time now because it has been vary clear to me that most here are sold on Leupold. I was for many years and thought they were the only scopes worth having. I still have a few left for sale. Only one Leupold scope will I keep, that scope was modified by Cecile Tucker and has taken care of my main objection against Leupold and the reason why I will never buy one again. I will happily by and use a Sightron scope before I will mount another Leupold scope for my own use. I do believe that S&B makes the best scopes in the world. Not everybody can afford the S&B scopes. I use and recommend Sightron for this reason.

Why is the Night force scopes so popular? Because they have positive adjustment that moves the erector tube. Any and all scopes that use flat springs are prone to trouble. Nightforce was the first to use a coil spring tension system, just as the Tucker modifications have for many years.

Along came Sightron and uses the captured erector tube, so much smarter than anyone else. I can not remember not owning a Leupold that I didn't have to return for repairs in stock from the factory condition. Every one of the darn things has failed at some point to hold zero. The wort are the one that moved after a few shots were taken before the erector tube would move after an adjustment was made. I grant you that most of the problem scopes I've dealt with from Leupold have been targets scopes. That is rather natural as you see problems faster on target. I use to go to hock shops and buy used Leupold scopes. Every one I bought had to be sent back to Leupold for this spring replacement repair. It is impossible to tell if a scope is a good scope until you test the mounted scope and shoot and square the target. No matter what your opinion of any brand of scope. Until you preform this test, you are only kidding yourself.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Big Al,

Thanks for the good info. Always nice to hear how a product is designed and what components actually make it a better product rather than only hearing personal opinion.

I have a couple Leupolds, but after some research have put Zeiss Conquests on my last two rifles. I like the etched glass reticle as well as some other features it has over my Leupolds. Al, would you have any insight into how Zeiss stabilizes their erector tube?

I don't own a Sightron, but everything I've read has been very positive. The pricing is also much better than Leupold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast