Thread: Moose Hunting in Healy?

Default Moose Hunting in Healy?

I'm looking for any suggestions on a good 4 wheeler trail to some vast land around Healy or in unit 20. I'm not asking for secret spots I know better than that- just somewhere 8 guys can go in with quads and have a good shot a moose or two. Or.... does anyone know of a good comprehensive book that covers the area? Thanks ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wheelingfamily View Post
    I'm looking for any suggestions on a good 4 wheeler trail to some vast land around Healy or in unit 20. I'm not asking for secret spots I know better than that- just somewhere 8 guys can go in with quads and have a good shot a moose or two. Or.... does anyone know of a good comprehensive book that covers the area? Thanks ahead of time.
    Turn at the Stampede Road drive out it till you get to an old buss. turn left and go about 10 miles south.
    Tim

Smile stampede

we used to do alright on the stampede trail, if you can get across the teklanika you will probably find moose

Comming up on the 3rd of Sept and hunting until the 10th. Have been hearing that the Rex Trail is flooded. Which would be better? The rex till the second river of the Stampede after and south of the bus. Thank you slickmict

Don't forget to add all the rest of the hunters up that way as well with wheelers.

On the rex or the stampede or both of them?

Both..if there is wheeler access there are people.

Thanks. Comming up from Kansas. Was up thier last year on the Rex. Had a blast.Fishing out of Homer first and then hunting.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Turn at the Stampede Road drive out it till you get to an old buss. turn left and go about 10 miles south.

any one watch that glorification movie about that kid that died in the bus out there? I Lived in Healy when it happened still say dumb A--, but thats my opinion... and yeah REX is flooded still... water is receding, sure to make that good Ole sticky mud: good and sticky......

I thing that you hit the nail on the head. Why in the world would someone leave home and do something like this and have no ideal what he was getting into.

Default Just north of Healy

There is usually alot of traffic and hunters out at the Clear Sky Lodge (around mile marker 281ish). Keep in mind that if you do go into that area that there is a military installation there and that is only open to permit. It's pretty easy to see the markers for the installation so you should be able to avoid it easy enough. There are a lot of trails leading out of that area as well and I've seen quite a few people walk out with their meat. Also, as a heads up, I'm not sure how accurate Fish and Game has been on their counts, but the last 3 years a huge number of moose have been taken from the area. I can't speak from experience as far as the hunt, but I have seen far fewer moose in the local area.

Good luck!

I'd avoid the Stampede trail, it will be super corwded this year and for a group of 8 guys finding enough moose will be a huge problem with all the competition. I have a good friend that hunts there every year and he gets a moose about every other year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate Fish and Game has been on their counts, but the last 3 years a huge number of moose have been taken from the area. I can't speak from experience as far as the hunt, but I have seen far fewer moose in the local area.

Good luck!
    keep in mind also this area mentioned is surrounded by privately owned land many of us have 200-300 acre parcels for Ag land, so you have the Rex trail to hunt( wet and flooded mess) or the military permit... my land by Clear Sky, is posted (many of the parcels are not) and i allow access or hunting by invite only as most of us locals do.

Do not forget the Rail Road land.... According to the rail road neighbor of mine... keep in mind.. Crossing R/R bridges is and ACT OF TERRORISM... your armed and tresspassing on a transportation facility... TSA gets involved.. you lose you rights, to fly, hunt be armed all that...( patriot act) The R/R does post guards at various locations. they are almost as bad as the military to trespass on..

as for moose populations.. there is a reason i 4 wheel 26 miles in to find a moose.. the first 2 years of the cow hunt laid them down in this area..and i have to attribute this to the high number of bear problems this year... to include the clear sky bar tender having to kill the sow with the cubs last week when it started for the kids next door.

where ever you go this season in the Healy, Ferry, Clear, Nenana areas your guaranteed to find mud, water, and people.

Good luck, have fun and respect the neighbors....