Thread: 45-70 how'd I do?

Default 45-70 how'd I do?

I think I got pretty lucky as I just bought a 45-70 off a co-worker along with 4 boxes of ammo a kolpin gun boot and Kolpin atv mount with brackets,rubber sling and butt stock ammo carrier.The gun is blued even tho I wanted a SS model,but he wanted $425.00.

He shot it 14 times and said enough of this chit and put it up ever since for four years till I got it.Ive always wanted one for a brush gun while out and couldnt pass up the deal.

So now Im looking at what I can do to improve on the gun from you experts.Thanks Daniel

Oversize lever loop, ghost ring sights, bear proof ejector, and happy trigger all from wild west guns. All easy to install yourself and very good products. Get a set of reloading dies and some starline brass, H322 powder and 405gr remington bullets and go shoot it about a thousand times. Those guide guns are SWEET when you get them setup.

For the most part, me and Thebear_78 are in agreement here.

I prefer the David R. Clay big hoop lever to the WWG one, as it is more reasonably sized and isn't TOO big. I used an AO ghost ring rear sight and ramp front. I haven't bothered with the bearproof ejector or happy trigger yet, but may one day. The Remmie 405's are cheap, accurate, and work adequately as long as you don't push them too fast. I would also suggest that you mebbeso try some Hawk and Beartooth bullets. The Hawk's are pretty tough for a jacketed bullet, and the hard-cast Beartooths will shoot through dang near anything. The Remmie 405's are good for general use and make a good GP and practice bullet due to their very reasonable cost. Pushing them up to 1900+ starts to make them more problematic, however. I also use the Hornady 350 gr. Flat Points to good effect. Thebear was spot on ref the brass...go with Starline.

You might also want to consider a Sims Limbsaver or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. The stock recoil pads aren't the most effective, esp. with T-Rex loads.

Welcome to the .45-70 club! I wanted one for a looong time, and finally got myself a Guide Gun for my birthday. I now have 3 .45-70's, having added an 1895CB and a Shiloh Sharps to my stable. Then, liking my Guide Gun so muich, I went out and got myself a 444 Outfitter, too. Once you get started with big-bores, it's hard to step away! They hit like the Hammer of Thor, and dont' tear up meat like the fast-movers.

i liked to use the remmy 405s for practice and then sub them out for kodiak bonded 405s for hunting. they shot to the same point of impact for me in my guid gun when used with the same load. it was all i ever shot.

cool,cool......ya'll are getting me fired up.Next Spring Im planning on a Black Bear with the 45-70 so Im going to work on a load for that.You know Ive been relic hunting for years and Ive dug a ton of 45-70 brass and Cartridges from the 1870's thru 1890's and Ive always wanted to shoot one of these for the historical factor behind it.So maybe in the future Ill be looking at an older model, and I see you fellas mention the 1895,whats up with that? Daniel

The Marlin .45-70 standard model with a 22" barrel is designated the 1895. The 1895G is the blued Guide Gun. The 1895GS is the stainless guide gun. The 1895M is in caliber 450 Marlin. The 1895CB is their 26" octagon barrelled Cowboy Model in .45-70.

Hmmm! I just checked on mine.Its the m1895SS and mine is blued.

Looks like this, don't it...

1895S

hey did you take that out of my Safe? Dude I seriously aint going blind,but I looked again and my gun is the 1895 ss thats with two.Also the 4 boxes of shells I got with it are 3 boxes of 400 grain and one box of them remmy 405's.Im ready to go shooting now.Daniel