Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomatoe Issues?

Default Tomatoe Issues?

Can someone please help me out with some tomatoe issues I am having.

I know that it seems that everyone's gardens in the Interior have really been affected by all this rain this year, but I still want to save my toms as much as I can. Those are 50 of them that I started back from March and I'll be devastated if I lose them because of all the work that I have put into them.

My issue?
    They are starting to look as if they are dying off. They should have been ready to pick end of July, but because they didnt get sun, it seemed, for a couple of weeks because of the rain, they aren't getting nutrients.

Someone suggested a water soluable fertilizer.
    Should I post pictures?
    Suggestions?
    Thanks in Advanced!
    Lurker.

Are they indoors in a greenhouse, or outside? I have a few with leaves that are turning yellow too. It has been a terrible year for tomatoes, we are just now getting the first red ripe ones of the season (at least a month+ late). I will have to pick a lot of green ones and let ripen inside this year after we get a good frost, which probably won't be too long now. Mine are in a double walled plastic greenhouse, but there comes a time when that freezes up too. I think I will end up doing quite a few jars of green sliced tomato pickles this year. They are actually super on a moose burger...tomato and pickle at the same time So, all is not lost.

Wish I had more information for you, maybe some else has the answer.
    Grandma Lori

sent you a PM but it bounced, your inbox is full
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    Are they indoors in a greenhouse, or outside? I have a few with leaves that are turning yellow too. It has been a terrible year for tomatoes, we are just now getting the first red ripe ones of the season (at least a month+ late). I will have to pick a lot of green ones and let ripen inside this year after we get a good frost, which probably won't be too long now. Mine are in a double walled plastic greenhouse, but there comes a time when that freezes up too. I think I will end up doing quite a few jars of green sliced tomato pickles this year. They are actually super on a moose burger...tomato and pickle at the same time So, all is not lost.

Wish I had more information for you, maybe some else has the answer.
    Grandma Lori

sent you a PM but it bounced, your inbox is full
    I know. Really sorry about that. THere are messages that I need to keep in there because they contain addresses and phone numbers and I have yet to write them down and delete all my messages. I'll do that soon. I was just thinking about you today, actually, while attending to my garden and I was thinking that I needed to send you a PM anyway

They are looking a tad better. They are definitely yellow. I should have taken a before and after picture of them. I spent a good hour if not 2 on doing the garden today. All of my toms are still green, though, with just a few of them that are almost a handful size, but there is a good portion of them that are there that I really, truly want to survive it. :\

We will see.

I'll PM as soon as I filter my messages!
    Lurker.

Okay... here is the final.
    I have 50-60 toms I want to save.
    Should I go ahead and pull them and bring them inside, or should I just pickle them?
    Here are the quality of toms I have right now, but last night it was 35 degrees for our low:

And for the sake of making me happy...
    Our sun flowers that we were able to have:

So... should I pull the toms inside? Should I just pickle them? They are still a little small for it?
    Lurker.

CO, in the next week or so, we'll be pulling ours as well. We have nothing but green. Do you know how to turn them red once you get them in? If not I'll send that information along in a bit....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Well you don't want your tomatoes to freeze, but if you want to leave them out a bit longer then you probably can. You can cover your plants at night and that will save them from mild frosts. It looks like they are starting to ripen, so you may want to cover them at night with a sheet or peice of plactic and let them go till you start to get freezzing temps at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    CO, in the next week or so, we'll be pulling ours as well. We have nothing but green. Do you know how to turn them red once you get them in? If not I'll send that information along in a bit....
    Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Well you don't want your tomatoes to freeze, but if you want to leave them out a bit longer then you probably can. You can cover your plants at night and that will save them from mild frosts. It looks like they are starting to ripen, so you may want to cover them at night with a sheet or peice of plactic and let them go till you start to get freezzing temps at night.
    I am going to heed both of your suggestions and advice. I refuse to wait until they are gone when I have been spending all this time waiting for them to be ready for picking.

So... Huntress, plug me into a PM on how you plan to uproot yours. I'll need to find an indoor growing lamp as well, won't I?
    Lurker.

Default my thoughts

First off I am no expert however, I have had some luck with Toms. Two scenarios; #1 Last year my wife got impatient and pulled my plants up. After recovering from shock I picked all the sizeable green tomatoes and brought them in the house to ripen. The following months they ripened averaging two a week just sitting in the window. #2 Regarding transplanting indoors. In the spring grow your toms in a large container, say a five gallon black plastic green house type bucket. Then dig a hole in your garden large enough for your bucket place the bucket in the ground then in the fall pull it up with minimal stress to your plants and up them in winter storage. This works great for roses as well.

So that's my take on things.

I do like the idea of tomato pickles.

I think that you guys are right. We are definitely going to have to pull them... so I think that tomorrow would be a good time to do that! (Since it's one of my only days off).

This is terrible... I wished they all just be ready to harvest!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Please let us all know your secret... we've got a bunch of green toms.

AK

Right now Im taking all the non-productive limbs off my tomato plants and leaving the limbs that have tomatoes on them. In a couple of weeks (maybe sooner) I'll probably pull them and hang the limbs upside down in a dark room. Some of the other ones I'll pull off the limbs and ripen them in a cardboard box covered in newspaper.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default Transplant

IF you wish to relocate your plants from outdoors to a pot, a 5 gallon bucket isn't large enough! As the plants will be root bound and not do well. When you pull them up this will be evident.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Brav,

We grow ours in 5 gallon buckets and they have always done fine up until this year. I don't bother transplanting though, I found it was too much of a hassle.

AHHHHHHHHarrrg!! My wonderful, wonderful mother decided to go into the garden this morning while I was teaching students and harvest all of my toms. :***( I think that I am going to cry.
    No, serious, though... so be it. It's time to pickle them!
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Please let us all know your secret... we've got a bunch of green toms.
    Pull the whole plant, roots, leaves, tomatoes and all, and hang the plant upside down in the garage or shed. The fruit will ripen nicely "on the vine".

Sounds good to me, thanks, will do before the frost.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    Sounds good to me, thanks, will do before the frost.
    Do it soon. My tomatoes have already gotten too cold... thats why my mom picked them for me.
    I am pretty sure that we have already had our first frost even though it is not official, haven't we?
    Lurker.

Saw the Tom problems, as I had them as well the year before.

What I learned **Secret wise** was if you know anywhere to get a LARGE brown paper bag ... keep them. When it start raining like crazy and begins to get cold out, put a Brown bag on the plant as much as you can cover. You can also do this inside the house if they are in buckets.

1. because it saves the leaves and Tom.
    2. The gases from the leaves and Tom make the Tom ripen faster.
    3. It doesn't hurt the plant.

If you spray a little vinegar on the bag before you put it on the plant, it will also take care of the aphids. I had serious issues with aphids last year as well as slugs due to all the rain last year.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Saw the Tom problems, as I had them as well the year before.

What I learned **Secret wise** was if you know anywhere to get a LARGE brown paper bag ... keep them. When it start raining like crazy and begins to get cold out, put a Brown bag on the plant as much as you can cover. You can also do this inside the house if they are in buckets.

1. because it saves the leaves and Tom.
    2. The gases from the leaves and Tom make the Tom ripen faster.
    3. It doesn't hurt the plant.

If you spray a little vinegar on the bag before you put it on the plant, it will also take care of the aphids. I had serious issues with aphids last year as well as slugs due to all the rain last year.
    Sounds like some good advice. I have made willow hoops and then drape a dark cotton sheet over my tomatoes in the greenhouse at night and that really helped things speed along.

Also I have heard that a strong brew of chamomile tea sprayed on plants works wonders to get rid of insects. Also try growing a few nasturtiams and dwarf marigolds in and around your plants for bug control.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

G-ma Lori,

I have tried the Cham tea, didn't work for me. Darn little things ate my whole crop of lettuse one year. I was NOT happy. They don't seem to kill my Tom much, but make them yellow. A farmer from Michigan told me about the Vinegar idea and it does work, as long as you do it as soon as you see them or sometimes before they start.

The idea is to spray the plant as well... but I noticed spraying the bag (inside) helps a lot too. Just something to try this coming summer.

I have been talking to a farmer in Alabam of all places and he told me to use brown, red or orange cloth to cover the Toms. The color, he says, also makes them turn... as per the light spectrum lets some light in but keeps out certain UV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast