Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripped scope mount thanks Sportsmans

Angry Stripped scope mount thanks Sportsmans

My wife purchased me a Brownig Abolt Stainless stalker last year frome SW in Anchorage as a welcome home/ welcome back to AK since we had been gone for 8 years in the USAF and she had moved us back up here alone while I was in Iraq. I love the rifle but barely got to take it out last year since I didn't get home till Sept 10th. In the shooting I did I was not thrilled with the leupod rifleman that I purchased with it and had S/W install and bore sight. I finally pulled the rifleman off and slapped it on top of a new Tikka 270 which is a much better fit. The A-bolt sat topless for the last several months waiting on the perfect scope. Well today was the day I went and purchased a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for its clarity and 4" of eye relief.
    I got it home and started to set about installing it. I got Leupold rings with the rifleman scope and was planning on using them for the Zeiss. I noticed that the rear mount was not tight. i grabbed the torx and found that the front screw was very loose. I turned it and it didn't get any tighter. I changed directions and the same thing the screw just turned and did not back out! I finally dropped the floorplate and pulled the bolt to look from that side I could see the bottom of the screw turning freely. I finally held some strong upward preasure and was able to get it to back out.
    So here I am with a brand new scope and a stripped reciever 1 week before the season!!!!! I am so #$%)*&$ ANGRY right now!!! Those idiots in the back shop at SW screwed up my brand new $850 rifle and then hid it and let me walk away knowing that it lwould ikely be years before I found the problem!! I don't believe that I will be able to get it made right by S/W before the season starts so here is my plea, is there any smiths in the palmer/wasilla area that could fix this on short notice?
    Let this be a warning to you all don't let just any one work on your rifle even if they are the ones selling you the rifle and it a SIMPLE TASK!!! The ultimat Irony is that the rifle was way off the paper despite being bore sighted which is the only reason that I let them install the scope in the first place.

Easy and rather cheap fix. Take it a gunsmith and have him tap the screw holes to 8x40.

And get some Talley's and your own boresighter ($30 value) while you're at.

Default Anything left of the threads?

Is there anything left for a screw to bite into in the receiver, or is it going to have to be taken to 8-40's?
    I've noticed recently an awful lot of soft screws. More of Mao's home-smelted iron coming to roost here?
    Brownell's offers screws that are 'just slightly' oversize that MAY take care of your problem.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...795&title=.146

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    Is there anything left for a screw to bite into in the receiver, or is it going to have to be taken to 8-40's?
    I've noticed recently an awful lot of soft screws. More of Mao's home-smelted iron coming to roost here?
    Brownell's offers screws that are 'just slightly' oversize that MAY take care of your problem.
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...795&title=.146
    It looks like just the first 1/8" is stripped. The Leupy rings come with 4 screws, 3 are the same length and 1 is longer. He didn't notice this little detail and put a short screw in the hole that the long one was designed to go into. There was only about 1/8" of the short screw left to thread into the reciever and the guy must have overtightend it. This situation is extremely frustrating for me, I spent hours reviewing rifle specs from the sandbox and this is the exact rifle/caliber I wanted. I hate to think that someone would break my new rifle before I paid for it and proceed to sell it to me anyway! After looking it over closely I am positive that there is no way that they didn't know that the rifle was damaged. So much for blaming soft screws

i'd take to a reputable gunsmith like matt said, there may have been threads on here about some good ones recently.

And you MIGHT consider calling Sportsman's, asking for Customer Service, reaming them out, and tell them they should pay for the fix by the gunsmith. may not work since most places try to have customers return things when issues arise, but worth asking.

Default Customer Service?

Taking bets....

Good luck, man.

Default looking up...maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Taking bets....

Good luck, man.
    I just got off the phone with "Brandon" at S/W in ANC. I was told to bring it in on Monday and they will fix it and get it back to me. I am leaving for my hunt on the following Saturday but they said they should get it back to me within a day. We will see, but at least they claim they will covering the repair. So far customer service seems very good....Time will tell, hopefully I won't be stuck chasing moose with my 270!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I just got off the phone with "Brandon" at S/W in ANC. I was told to bring it in on Monday and they will fix it and get it back to me. I am leaving for my hunt on the following Saturday but they said they should get it back to me within a day. We will see, but at least they claim they will covering the repair. So far customer service seems very good....Time will tell, hopefully I won't be stuck chasing moose with my 270!
    hey dude, thought you were chasing sheep not moose?

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    hey dude, thought you were chasing sheep not moose?
    Moose for me Aug 20th- Sep 2nd, Sheep for me Sep 3rd-17th, Moose for wife starts up Oct 10th! Busy year!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In any case, your 270 win. would do fine...

LuJon, how did it go today? We are rooting for you, hope it was positive!

Quote Originally Posted by wholden View Post
    LuJon, how did it go today? We are rooting for you, hope it was positive!
    They sent me over to see Stan Jackson and he put a tap through the damaged hole and chased the other threads as well. He also gave me some longer screws to make sure I get plenty of good thread contact when I mount the new tally rings, which I will be picking up on the way home today.
    They did take care of the problem and never once asked me to see a receipt so I can't fault their customer service. I am still not pleased about the guy in the shop covering the damage up to begin with but the Manager Frank did what needed to be done to assure that I will purchase there in the future. Over all I am pleased, now to get my scope mounted and get to the range.

Default sportsmans

I had a good experiance with the people at sportsmans in fairbanks. I also purchased a Browning A-bolt stainless 7 Mag. in the spring of '07. I started sighting it in and the scope rings kept coming loose on me. I tried to tighten them down and they never did stay secure. I took it back to sportsmans 6-8 months after I purchased it, with no receipt and talked to the guys at the gun counter. They looked at the rings, told me they were defective and replaced them on the spot and re boresignted the scope. I am not saying all who work at sportsmans are going to be this helpful but this experiance has kept me as a customer since then and I have purchased 4 more guns at the store since then, all with great service. I suggest taking it to the store and explaining the situation to them. They may help you.

-TonyJoe-

Good deal. Glad to hear the positive outcome. From my experience I have seen both good and ugly there. Have a good hunt!

Default Customer service

Thats what it's all about and glad to hear that they did right by you. Yes, I would still be pissed about the guy covering it up and may have gone so far as to press the manage to ensure there was a reprimand for him. I'm sure that you will like the Talleys, and good luck on your hunt.

Real customer service... I went by boondocks on the way home and got the talley rings. They offered to install them and I was happy to let them after seeing how they took care of the rifle that was on the bench when I walked in. They spent a good 45 minutes making sure the fit was perfect. They even went so far as to bevel the mounting holes and really clean it up. To break it down SW made it right for me which is all you can ask from a large dealer, but the care my rifle recieved at Boondock in Eagle River is better than it gets at home!

A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 325WSM with 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest:

Glad to hear everything worked out in your favor. The people down at boonies have been really good to me as well. I picked up an 1895GS 45-70 down there tonight, you must have dropped by boonies right after I left.

Good to see you got this squared away. The 325 works great on moose, hopefully you will see first hand.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Tom set up my new .17 Savage with scope rings and a BSA sweet 17 scope. I could not have asked for a better fella to work on my rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast