Thread: Question re: Prince of Wales Is. Black-tail hunting, where?

Default Question re: Prince of Wales Is. Black-tail hunting, where?

I am new to Alaska and am planning a hunting trip the end of Sept. -beginning of Oct. for a 7-day Sitka-Blacktail hunt on Prince of Wales Is. I am wondering what area is the best to stay in and hunt for these deer i.e. Hollis, Thorne Bay, Klawock, Craig, and Coffin Cove and where will the bucks be? High-alpine meadow habitat or lower by then? I know understand this is in part weather dictated and that this is too early for the rut. Basically what is the best way (and how) to hunt these things? I'll rent a 4x4 truck and a cabin. Thanks in advance for any information out there.

Tough time of year to hunt bucks…most have moved down lower into sub-alpine scrub bush between open alpine and heavy timber! They can be hunted with success just tougher. You can find them any where on the island…but I would hunt high and glass hard in the sub-alpine and alpine early morning and late afternoon till dark! Thus need to camp high on the mountain or go in & out w/ flashlight! Pick any mountain on POW and it has big bucks on it! I wouldn’t over look doing a little horn rattling in the open timber just below the sub-alpine! Could be a little early but ya never know!
    If the weather is bad…which the odds are it will be …glass the lower clear cuts for bucks.

Good luck

Default October on POW Island

We call October the 'Monsoon Month' and this is from an area where we LIVE with lots of rain !!!! Last Oct we got like 35 inches of the wet stuff.

Dave is spot on with his suggestions. Many local hunters consider Oct the hardest month to hunt, but I know some that enjoy the challenge or have worked out a system that works for them .....

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    but I know some that enjoy the challenge or have worked out a system that works for them .....

You've got the key Johnnie.

Default Thanks for info!

Thanks for the info. on hunting black-tails on Prince of Wales Is. Unfortunately early Oct. is the only time I can hunt them, although anyone who knows me is aware I enjoy a challenge. I am used to hunting western Washington black-tails almost exclusively in the rain, but not Monsoons (except on occasion). I'll hope for some breaks in the weather and consider myself lucky that my glass and scope are waterproof and gun synthetic and stainless.

I don't know from Washington weather, but Ketchikan can rust stainless steel.

Wish I were joking.

Yep ... I know guys that T Coat their SS guns !!!!!

And we have had a wet summer .... hopefully it will moderate a little for the fall hunts ....

Hey Muskeg, the rain in great, it thins out the hunters.

Red face wet summers

Well we had a few sunny days in May and we just had 5 in early August .... I guess it ain't all bad !!!!

Better than past years when summer was Thursday !!!!!!

October sucks for deer hunting, here. I hunted POW several years ago, at the end of October. We got a few out of Naukati area, and one just south of Coffman Cove. We mainly hunted clear-cuts, and saw literally hundreds of does, but the bucks were few and far between.
    As far as weather goes, this has been one of the wettest since I moved her in 1985. You better have serious gear, as far as boots, raingear, clothing, etc. I know Western Wash. can get wet, but not like here. Take heed, and good luck.
    P.S. Leave any sort of gear that starts with "Gore-Tex" at home. Buy rubber.