Thread: Ammo Purchase ???'s

Default Ammo Purchase ???'s

Hey there guys,

While searching for an AR-15 I've seen multiple uppers available in 9mm, 45acp, etc. I've thought about getting one of these due to ammo prices today.

This begs the question, when you own a carbine/rifle in a caliber like this (say a .44 mag lever action, 9mm AR, etc.) am I allowed to buy ammo for it? (I am under 21)

I know I am not allowed to buy ammunition that is soley (sp?) for handguns but obviously this wouldn't be for a handgun. Toward that point also, what rounds are there these days that don't come in a full-size rifle? Is this even a enforceable regulation?

Any help on whether or not I'd be able to purchase these "pistol" rounds for a full-size rifle would be very helpfull!

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Nope, you can't buy pistol ammo retail. Get a dedicated .22 upper and buy the federal bulk packs at walmart. This seems to be the best way to go these days with the price of ammo.

I guess I've never quite understood this issue. You can get .22 rimfire ammo that works in both handgun and rifle. But you can not buy handgun ammo, that works in a rifle, because it could also be used in a handgun?

While I agree with Tom, I think I would change my focus and get in to reloading by looking for used reloading gear. It's a good time in your life to step up to more involvement in your shooting life.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I guess I've never quite understood this issue. You can get .22 rimfire ammo that works in both handgun and rifle. But you can not buy handgun ammo, that works in a rifle, because it could also be used in a handgun?

While I agree with Tom, I think I would change my focus and get in to reloading by looking for used reloading gear. It's a good time in your life to step up to more involvement in your shooting life.

I already have a reloading set-up. Most of the calibers I shoot are fairly pricey. (300 RUM, 375 H&H, .44mag, 10mm, etc.)

I was mainly looking at picking up ammo in 1-200 round lots in 9mm or the like. If I end up getting a carbine I'd be looking at the 9mm and I've found a place in town that sells it for $11 a box. With the price of lead right now and then the price of dies, it would be easier (and cheaper in the short run. Free brass from the already-loaded ammo) for me to just buy preloaded stuff.

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. I guess I will have to go out and drop some dough on the lead and die set.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!