Thread: Interesting goat hunting problem...

Default Interesting goat hunting problem...

Just got off the phone with Seahawk Air. I originally was calling them to notify them my gear was on the way. The lady in the office was just getting ready to call me. Lakes right at 2000' (DG475) are still frozen So much for my plan to go to Windy Lake, and so much for a bit of my money because I shipped my little 8' boat and motor for that lake specifically. Well, it's now down to a lake at 600'. All my research is down the tubes.

Best laid plans and all that!!! Too bad...good thing you had a back up plan. Looks like this year is going to be squirrelly for sure!

Default just my thoughts

Doug,

I guess you better not tell that to Al "The Global Warming executive officer" that??? Doug, be safe, and enjoy Gods creation.

Wayne

I have a buddy that guides in that area. Guess who I had over for dinner last night He doesn't think much of my current plan, but we agreed that I didn't have much choice. He thinks it will turn into a nice deer hunt, but honestly didn't know if the goats would be above my lake or not.

My only other choice was hunting from the saltwater side and I didn't think my son or I would have any fun hacking up through the alders with that choice.

Default Goat hunts

Personally I prefer to hack through the alders ect.........
    I've carried three of the buggers down the hill over the years and I've yet to get weathered into a lake hiking from the salt.

The trick is to spend the time developing a dependable route that will allow you to safely carry a heavy load down. The key word is route. Your not making a trail really just allowing yourself the freedom to focus on the labor of carrying an ungodly heavy load over gods roughest country. I've laid a route and marked it with blazes and ribbon in strategic locations and stick to that route very strictly. When I'm fatigued and working hard its a huge relief on mind to know exactly what I have to traverse to get my game into the boat.

Of course if this is your first time up into this area your looking at a full day of route building. I even go as far as getting in there every couple years to reblaze and clear some thick areas. I'm sure to keep it somewhat hidden and don't take people on it.

Although I've also used rafts and kayaks......so I can see using either method and forgive me I really don't know what country your hunting so thats just the way I do it while hunting SE AK.

I also had planned to use a high lake down here in the Misty this season for one of my hunts ..... not workable.

Plan B ...... low elevation lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have a buddy that guides in that area. Guess who I had over for dinner last night He doesn't think much of my current plan, but we agreed that I didn't have much choice. He thinks it will turn into a nice deer hunt, but honestly didn't know if the goats would be above my lake or not.

My only other choice was hunting from the saltwater side and I didn't think my son or I would have any fun hacking up through the alders with that choice.
    sorry to hear your plans are being altered by the weather, but I think you're making the right choice, especially if this is one of your son's first remote hunts. spending a lot of time fighting uphill through alders from the beach might not be a lot of fun for him.

best of luck, hope it works out great given the late plan change.

This is my son's first real remote hunt. Neither one of us are in fantastic shape. You know what they say..a man has to know his limitations.. Hacking in a trail from salt is simply something we don't really want to do. I'm not looking for the easy way out, but I've busted enough alders in my younger years to know I'm not thrilled about it this time around.

We will have fun on the new lake. If any of you have 12 yr olds you will know how an idea gets stuck in their head and they HAVE to do it. That's where this raft and motor comes in. He worked hard to pay it off and he HAS to use it. Windy Lake was a mile long and I figured "what the heck", it's fun for him and it might have taken some walking time off. The new lake isn't as long, but we will take the raft along just for fun for him. Looks like this lower elevation lake should hold some fish so we will pack rods now.

I've been GoogleEarthing like crazy this morning and have a plan. Of course, that plan only works if I can glass any goats from where I start. Worst case scenario is we have a nice deer hunting and fishing trip. I am just going to enjoy the time out with my son and see what comes of it. I'll save the death marches for him when he's a bit older

Be careful Doug! I was diverted the same way you are last year, not because of ice but because of weather and the brown bears were thicker than snot on the south end down low . They have had a bad fish year so far this year which will make them all the more troublesome...me thinks. Good luck.

Default In same boat...

I too am scheduled to go to Kodiak, but on 13 Sept. I called SeaHawk Air and asked about hunting the alpine lakes. Jo, the owners wife said that the lakes for the most part were still frozen. She suggested I call back and speak w/ Roland. He said there is a POSSIBILITY one lake that gets some sun most of the day will be thawed and to call back on Thursday. If it is frozen, after reading and thinking about what was said about the bears, (and I too am taking my 13 year old son) I am not going to fly to a lower elevation. I am hunting DG476. Good luck to those who are going.

What elevation are the frozen lakes at? I'm planning on heading down for my DG478 permit on the 1st of October.

Default What I know...

The lake I was initally thinking of flying into is at 1945'. Roldand from SeaHawk said there is a possibility that one at 2300' gets a lot of sun and could possibily be open. Small chance. They said they havent seen a summer like this in 10 years. TOO BAD! Call and ask them what your options may be.

Default Good luck

I have no advice what-so-ever, but I will wish you good luck. Post your stories when you return, so we all can visually travel along on your hunt.

Anytime in the woods with family is a good time.

Hey Doug just take some ice skates and leave the raft behind .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!