Thread: Shipping to Kodiak with Northern Air Cargo

Default Shipping to Kodiak with Northern Air Cargo

Well, the first stage of my trip to Kodiak is in the bag. I dropped off 300# of stuff at NAC in Anchorage today. I am going on a goat/deer trip with my 12 y.o. son next week and this is more gear than I've ever taken on a hunting trip. The only thing left home is two small carry-on bags and my rifle case for my flight down next week. Included in that 300# was two tents (one for gear), an 8' Avon inflatable and 3 hp Suzuki outboard (why walk when you can motor)....I'm flying into a 3/4 mile long lake.

I figured that I would report my findings so that others can be informed. The published rate from Anchorage to Kodiak is $.61/lb and a 40% fuel surcharge. This equals $.854 a pound. It wasn't until I arrived home that I found out that we could have taken 3 bags each within Alaska on Alaska Airlines for no extra charge. Had I just shipped the outboard, raft, and overweight cooler with NAC I would have saved money by just flying with my other gear. Oh well, live and learn. As it is, $300 for my gear to get flown to Kodiak, picked up by Seahawk Air, and be ready for my hunt is pretty good compared to lugging that crap through the airport on both ends.

The other mistake I made was asking on the phone if I could take Coleman propane bottles in the boxes of stuff. The gal on the phone said no problem. Wrong. They need to be sepperate, in a seperate box and they will charge you a $30 haz-mat fee. I will buy propane in Kodiak next time if they are less than $12 a bottle. All told my total came out a little over $300 because I didn't want to deal with propane when I got to Kodiak.

I will still use NAC on the trip home because the backhaul rate to Anchorage is only $.41 a pound with fuel surcharge. A cooler full of meat, on ice, my boat and motor will all that will be traveling that way. The rest of my stuff will fly home with me on Alaska Air. No limit on weight of the cooler with NAC, which is nice.

Doug on my spring bear hunt I shipped my stuff down with Carlisle trucking. 200# went for $200 round trip, took 3 days each way, and I picked it up in Kodiak no problems.

Sounds like it road on the ferry. Did you ship it from Kenai?

Yes. They did a good job. I'm going back next spring, I drew another tag. I will do the same as last year on the gear.