Thread: those pesky dogfish

Default those pesky dogfish

On several charters out of Seward this year, I can only recall one of those spiny fellas getting caught on any boat...seems much different than the overabundance of them the last couple years. But then, I haven't been out since mid-July...anyone else having problems with them this year?
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

It depends, when did you go? They are thick now I hear. There were a few in the middle of July when I went.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I guess its one of those "double edged" situations, with the colder water, the dogfish havnt moved in as bad; however, neither did the halibut when they were suppost to!

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Stickle Back View Post
    I guess its one of those "double edged" situations, with the colder water, the dogfish havnt moved in as bad; however, neither did the halibut when they were suppost to!

-Ben
    That's sort of what I was thinking...missed you out there this year, Ben.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I don't think the cold water has alot to do with it like it does with halibut. If you go out of homer or deep creek and you head towards the middle of the inlet or the outer edge of the bay they are thick there. IMO, I think alot of it has to do with bottom and other structure, just like other fish do.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

This is just from personally experience. I fish out of Homer the majority of the time. We normally pick up about 10 times more dogfish beginning in september and october. Along with more skates. With this in mind the water is generally colder these months which would make me think that these species are attracted to the colder water? This is in 5 years of fishing all the way into the middle of october. Have been pulled up next to by the Coast Guard. Every year this happens late in the year since there aren't many people in the water. I always ask them how others are doing, most of them are having the same luck with dogfish and skates. Still good halibut fishing either way. Any others found this also?

When I was 11 my dad and I caught the same dogfish at the same time while fishing in the San Juan Islands off the Washington coast. (I know... "fascinating"). Current was so strong and our experience so low that we didn't realize we had something on the end of our lines until we reeled up to check our bait.

Default Wrong boat

Hey Nick,

You were fishing on the wrong charter....I have had several stellar days of catching dog fish this year.....Steve just doesn't look in the right places....He can catch halibut but he sucks at catching the doggies....

Seriously the water is 52.5 degrees in August....Never seen it before. It should warm up throughout the summer into October and it has not warmed up for a month.....Who knows what is going to happen next....

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Hey Nick,

You were fishing on the wrong charter....I have had several stellar days of catching dog fish this year.....Steve just doesn't look in the right places....He can catch halibut but he sucks at catching the doggies....

Dang, I might have to jump ship next summer! What do you charge for those dogfish charters, Andy????
    Last edited by nickster; 08-17-2008 at 09:14. Reason: Had to have a smily face

Default Eat 'em

Don't just complain about the dog fish, eat them. They are pretty good!

The last one I saw cleaned had live babies in it about 5" long. The egg sack hanging off of its belly looked too good not to stick on a hook. Halibut love 'em when they are stilll wiggling!
    I'm not admitting to actually doing this, just that I have seen the results. Be sure to check your regs regarding use of this bait.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Recipe....

Quote Originally Posted by Truesdale View Post
    Don't just complain about the dog fish, eat them. They are pretty good!
    ... please.

Default Combos!!

Nick,
    for a little extra money, I'm pretty sure Andy is doing Dogfish/Skate Combos!!! there are still plenty of #100lb Skates out there.

-Ben

Default dogfish recipes

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... please.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=3041

Here's a thread on the subject, Sayak...

Quote Originally Posted by Stickle Back View Post
    Nick,
    for a little extra money, I'm pretty sure Andy is doing Dogfish/Skate Combos!!! there are still plenty of #100lb Skates out there.

-Ben
    Oh, man, now you're talking! Might have to turn that into an overnighter!! That way we can add arrowtooth and sculpin...and DOUBLE limits of everything!

The last couple of years the dog fish seemed much worse out of Seward, especially to the east. Haven't caught a single one yet this year. This year it seems the arrowtooth have taken over as the pesky species. We have caught dozens of these where we usually do not seem to run into them at all.

Steve

3 days ago out of Homer... great day of halibut. Yesterday, at the exact same hole, exact same time of day/tide, and a TON of dogfish and few halibut.

Go figure
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...