Thread: Seward updates??

Default Seward updates??

Any updates from Seward???
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Silvers were good outside the bay pm me if your going down any time soon. Also, it seems that a flush of Hali came to the island earlier this week. Silvers in the bay were really slow, but this storm that just moved through will probably mix the cards again for all 3 situations

-Ben

We went out Wednesday and Thursday. The weather kicked our ass on Wednesday but we did catch two silvers over at Sunny Cove. On Thursday we made it out of Reseruction bay and over to Aliak and caught 9 silvers (limit for three) in about three hours between 6:30 and 10:00 am. Then it got real quiet so we cmae back in and went home.

Default Wednesday

I have been out on days like Wednesday before and I know that forecast all too well. I would have stayed really close to port....

With the right equipment (Osprey 26, dosen't take on water) it is not so much dangerous as wasted time going slow ... not fishing. When I went out we were cruising at about 25 mph. on the way back we were doing about 12 mph. I was there just about 2 hours when it all came up real fast. A Seasport, larger charter boat and something aluminum about 22 to 24 ft all decided to get out of there. I was worried about the smaller aluminum with at least 4 people on board. That one had to make good decisions because it would take on water.

The forcast did not talk about what we encountered.

Default slow.

silver fishing is slow to dismal right now in Res Bay.

... on a lighter note... baby Black Cod fishing is off the hook!

Default Get a new kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Stickle Back View Post
    Silvers were good outside the bay pm me if your going down any time soon. Also, it seems that a flush of Hali came to the island earlier this week. Silvers in the bay were really slow, but this storm that just moved through will probably mix the cards again for all 3 situations

-Ben
    Get a new kicker motor....

Launched Friday 8/15 morning, with RimfireMatt. Plan was to head for Agnes cove. Saw fish jumping at Cains head, set the down riggers landed two 15 pounders. That was enough to keep us trolling for a few fruitless hours. Decided to again head for Agnes, saw fish jumping out in front of the Glacier, set down riggers again, caught a couple more Silvers, forgot to steer while resetting lines and got tangled up, lost a terminal rig with a fish on it. By this time we were wet and tired, headed back toward Cains in a rather cold deluge, got thoroughly soaked, trolled a little more, no more fish, went to the dock, checked out the derby winners and decided to go home to a hot shower.

They say, "Teach a man to fish and he will spend the whole day in a boat drinking beer" Man will also spend the whole day freezing his a-- off with no beer, no hot chocolate, no coffee, no shelter on his boat and make him go shopping for a bigger boat with more amenities. Tight lines folks, never give up, hang in there and you will catch fish. By the way, a friend at Agness limited out.

Later heard that someone caught a tagged fish with our dodger and echip in tow Ken
    Last edited by fishnngrinn; 08-17-2008 at 18:03. Reason: spell

Default just got back...

hit the water at about 9 am sat. started at bear glacier, caught a few humpies, went across to hive, rugged, and fox, nothin. there were alot of boats out there. went to sunny cove, caught a few more humpies, came back across to caines head and we were trolling back towards seward and we picked up one 9lb silver and right in front of tonsina creek we landed a 15lb silver. went out this morning straight to caines head and trolled back to seward and nothin. fishing was slow unless you like humpies for tablefare!!

Default All week fishing

The family and I fished Tuesday thru Saturday. Wednesday we decided to wait out the storm. From the reports here it looks like I made a wise decision. The North River isn't big enough for big water and I'm not especially fond of it either. Saturday was by far our best. We caught and released a lot of humpies and landed a few silvers one of which was 15.14 pounds. We started at Mary's Bay. After catching and releasing a pot full of pinks we moved to Sunny Cove. Better with a mix of Silvers and Pinks. Late afternoon on the way past Cains Head we dropped lines and landed the 15 pounder and lost a nice one that looked to be 10 pounds. Nice way to finish a trip. Maybe next year we'll do better. At least we had a good time.

Default Okay fishnngrinn,

Ya gotta draw the line somewhere; I can understand no beer (I don't drink), but no hot chocolate or coffee? Come on now! It's amazing how much a hot beverage can make you feel better, even if you're not in dire, wet, cold circumstances. We spent lots of days on the middle Kenai fishing reds, about 6 miles above Bing's. I have a large Nissan thermos (biggest one) from Cabela's and made it a habit to always have with us: that thermos full of coffee, mugs (forgot those one day and had to cut up water bottles for coffee cups; poor substitute as the hot coffee about melts those and your hands too!), half & half in a small bottle, some kind of food (sandwhiches, jerky, fruit, whatever). On our way back to Bing's we'd coffee up and just put-put down river, very nice. I can tell I'm getting older!
    Jim

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Ya gotta draw the line somewhere; I can understand no beer (I don't drink), but no hot chocolate or coffee? Come on now! It's amazing how much a hot beverage can make you feel better, even if you're not in dire, wet, cold circumstances. We spent lots of days on the middle Kenai fishing reds, about 6 miles above Bing's. I have a large Nissan thermos (biggest one) from Cabela's and made it a habit to always have with us: that thermos full of coffee, mugs (forgot those one day and had to cut up water bottles for coffee cups; poor substitute as the hot coffee about melts those and your hands too!), half & half in a small bottle, some kind of food (sandwhiches, jerky, fruit, whatever). On our way back to Bing's we'd coffee up and just put-put down river, very nice. I can tell I'm getting older!
    Jim
    Thanks Jim, I forgot that I qualify as an oldfart now. I do have a nice 2 qt stainless. Reminds me of the born loser whos wife bought him a thermos, told him it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. He took it to work and told his friend that it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. Friend asked what he had in it. Reply-hot coffee and a couple of popcycles
    NRA Lifetime Member

I am LMAO right now!! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    Thanks Jim, I forgot that I qualify as an oldfart now. I do have a nice 2 qt stainless. Reminds me of the born loser whos wife bought him a thermos, told him it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. He took it to work and told his friend that it keeps hot things hot and cold things cold. Friend asked what he had in it. Reply-hot coffee and a couple of popcycles

Default Kicker

Andy,

I think the old man is contemplating the 454 at Jerry's for the new motor.....as for the kicker......any for sale?

-Ben

Default Kicker

Benny,

Put a kicker bracket on that thing and you can use my kicker any time!! I use it on my skiff but it only has a few hours on it. Let me know and you are welcome to take it as an insurance policy...

See ya,

Andy

Default Seward update 8-23 / 8-24

Well, like all the other postings, the week of the derby was interesting for boating and fishing. But yesterday the wife and I went out and we finally blasted the silvers. Can honestly say was the best trip of the season for her and I. We limited with very nice silvers in about 4 hours and would have been done sooner if we did lose as many. Several of the fish acted like kings and broke our 30# line. So there you have it. Now the bad news, caught all the fish out in Johnston bay. And like the storm the week before, the winds kicked up and on the ride back, 5' to 7's made for an interesting ride back into the bay. But still had a blast. Good luck. Tony