Thread: Shore fishing in Valdez??

Question Shore fishing in Valdez??

Hey everyone, I'm really wanting some good silver success this year, and I'd love to get some of the PWS biggun's. Problem is, I have no boat and little money for a charter, so is there any decent shore fishing in Valdez? I'm obviously not familiar with the area, so any help would be appreciated, as well as any "don't waste your time" advice if it's just not very feasible.

When are you going?

shore fishing from allison point should be getting better by the day for silvers right up until the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T. View Post
    When are you going?
    Probably not until middle of next week sometime. Kind of waiting to hear better reports. I normally shore fish Whittier, but the fish are still pretty far out so far, and a Valdez trip would be new and different.

Why? Are you thinking about going too?

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    shore fishing from allison point should be getting better by the day for silvers right up until the 1st.
    I am going to have to get a map...lol. I have no idea where anything is over there. I should have mentioned that, maybe...

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll find it.

Default Valdez is a nice trip

The drive is gorgeous, so be sure to take your camera.

After you come through Keystone Canyon on your way into Valdez you'll see a turnoff on the leftfor Dayville Road (I don't think it mentions Allison Point). Follow Dayville Road until you come to the camping sites on the shore. That's Alison Point. When the silvers are in thick you can slay them with nearly any kind of spinner (vibrax is a favorite) or just chuck some herring under a bobber and hang on.

I haven't been there in about three years for silvers...now that I think of it, maybe it's time to go back.

John
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Probably not until middle of next week sometime. Kind of waiting to hear better reports. I normally shore fish Whittier, but the fish are still pretty far out so far, and a Valdez trip would be new and different.

Why? Are you thinking about going too?
    Yea, I'm going to be there a week from Sunday and I've got an 18' skiff rented for Sunday and Monday. There are only 2 of us going if you want to join we'll be fishing for coho, shrimp, and halibut ( not promising we'll get any buts) fishing in Jack's bay. PM me if your interested.

Brian,

I'll keep that in mind. Not sure what the schedule is going to allow yet, so I'm kind of playing the time frame by ear. I'll PM if I can go then, and I'll try to figure it out soon so you have enough heads-up. Thanks for the invite. I can chip in some on gas and bait and such, but I'm really limited on the budget right now. I wish we'd get those resource rebates a month sooner so I could do some good charters! Probably not what Palin had in mind, but in a roundabout way it still comes down to gas being too expensive....(yep, I'm justifying ).

Try the city dock if there is room. Also bring a king net or a large landing net. If you get them off the dock u probably will need to drop the net down with to the water (10+ lbs on 15 lbs test =broken line LOL and lead the fish into the net. It's twice the fun. We tied lines (3)to the net and put a rock in the bottom and led the fish into the net and hauled like hell up. Lost a king one year becaues I was using a side from a crab pot and the **** thing rolled out about half-way up to the dock. Needless to say I lost the King. Everybody on the dock was amused! Good times.

Default valez shore

Down here in valdez fishing from the shore right now. Caught 9 yesterday and 12 today. All the docks seem to be producing fish. Only caught one silver at allison point but we really didn't fish it much.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pennell View Post
    The drive is gorgeous, so be sure to take your camera.

After you come through Keystone Canyon on your way into Valdez you'll see a turnoff on the leftfor Dayville Road (I don't think it mentions Allison Point). Follow Dayville Road until you come to the camping sites on the shore. That's Alison Point. When the silvers are in thick you can slay them with nearly any kind of spinner (vibrax is a favorite) or just chuck some herring under a bobber and hang on.

I haven't been there in about three years for silvers...now that I think of it, maybe it's time to go back.

John
    The sign does say 'Allison Point' on it...

Brian