Thread: Salcha Headwaters

Default Salcha Headwaters

Anyone been up to the Headwaters of Salcha recently??

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Anyone been up to the Headwaters of Salcha recently??
    YEP! What would you like to know?

Default Heading up

Was thinking of heading upstream with a prop...last weekend...wasn't sure so didn't do it....was going for caribou...probably will be closed and water level down by the time I can go again in two weeks..
    Thanks

Caribou country up the Salcha is no place for a prop. You would never get close to the Bou. You really need a airboat even a jetboat is marginal.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Didn't do it

Saw in another post where if the levels were 7 or above it is good for a prop...the levels last I checked were at 8...so I thought maybe..with a short shaft...but with no experience and only two days...and no definitive reports...decided not to do it...didn't want to take the chance of being stranded out there ...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Saw in another post where if the levels were 7 or above it is good for a prop...the levels last I checked were at 8...so I thought maybe..with a short shaft...but with no experience and only two days...and no definitive reports...decided not to do it...didn't want to take the chance of being stranded out there ...thanks
    NO to the prop...as mentioned you won't make it to the caribou.....if you make it to the log jam..23 miles...you'll have to drag your boat a ways to pass it, then you'll have another 40 miles just to get an eyeball onto caribou country.

I run an XS up there and seen several such jets.....you'll beat your boat up a bit.......even the airboats can take a lickin up there.

Big rocks that love aluminum...........going up is not the problem.....up top the river moves fast and losses altitude quick.....hard to see the hole puncher coming down.....I know several less experienced boaters put big holes in boats up there.