Thread: Salcha Headwaters

Default Salcha Headwaters

Anyone been up to the headwaters of the Salcha. Any Caribou??

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    Anyone been up to the headwaters of the Salcha. Any Caribou??
    YEP....No caribou..........

Default whew!

Thanks aksalcha,I was really concidering going up there since my co-worker offered to pay all the fuel what a pal huh?

One other question how far do you think I could get my Phantom up river? I should most likely be able to get into caribou country tho right? Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    Thanks aksalcha,I was really concidering going up there since my co-worker offered to pay all the fuel what a pal huh?

One other question how far do you think I could get my Phantom up river? I should most likely be able to get into caribou country tho right? Daniel
    100 miles if your and experienced boater and don't mind dinged up bottom or even holes...... Another 20 miles if you bring chain saw and do a little work.

If your gonna play it safe I wouldn't bother trying to get to the caribou with a jet, I know some less expereinced airboaters that won't follow me up there in my XS. I have also run across lots of high and dry jet boaters.

Right now the log jam is a major problem for a lot of jet boaters thats at 23 mile.

A couple of years ago I got stranded up there.....I am a lot smarter now but I can tell you that education cost me a bunch. My boat shows the scars......OH and make sure you take hole repair stuff.

If you decide to do it.... make sure you can survive (food/shelter)up there much longer then you plan for.

Also the water level can drop very fast up there...If your not paying attention you won't get out. There are a couple of boats in the trees up there left by owners....planning to salvage them the following year then figured the cost not worth the effort.

Dan I'm going up today. How come we work with the same guys and none of them offered to pay for my fuel? I know some were shot this weekend. I put in to go to clear creek and there was meat in some boats. You can get your boat up to where they are. I've done it. Guys in XS won't follow me up there. River is high so it's not a problem. By the time you read this I should be into them.

I'm leaving at 5. Phone me if you get this

GS

Default Bou are there

I have not been up the Salcha River this year. I have heard guys say they are getting caribou up the Salcha over the last week. I did see bou in a boat at the Salcha take-out on Friday night. My friend who hunts it every year for bou is headed up this weekend and is confident they are there as well. Take the info for what it's worth. If I had a boat I would have already been up there.

I'll go shallower than them fellas in the XS's And If I get stranded Ill call you.YOu already know whats up dude,and I seriously hope you get some Caribou.Just at this moment I cant make it.Anyone wanna watch my boys for me? Im trying Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    Dan I'm going up today. How come we work with the same guys and none of them offered to pay for my fuel? I know some were shot this weekend. I put in to go to clear creek and there was meat in some boats. You can get your boat up to where they are. I've done it. Guys in XS won't follow me up there. River is high so it's not a problem. By the time you read this I should be into them.

I'm leaving at 5. Phone me if you get this

GS
    Hey GS,

Your buds in the XS's that won't follow you are wusses..... the phantoms are the boats that I see up there with the holes sucking in H2O I usually help them on my way back down from the top......

There are no caribou up there.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Hey GS,

Your buds in the XS's that won't follow you are wusses..... the phantoms are the boats that I see up there with the holes sucking in H2O I usually help them on my way back down from the top......

There are no caribou up there.
    GS has been trying to get me to follow him up in my Phantonm.Just seems that with work we always miss each other.BUt hey my Phantom aint sucking no H20 yet,but then again GS keeps warning me about it.We'll see one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    GS has been trying to get me to follow him up in my Phantonm.Just seems that with work we always miss each other.BUt hey my Phantom aint sucking no H20 yet,but then again GS keeps warning me about it.We'll see one of these days.
    My theory is Go For It....If your prepared for the worst, Murphy stays away......If you not prepared.......Watch Out Murphy will find you.

You should go with GS....but you won't find any Bou....and Moose season is the pits boats everywhere.......

They are not there as of Wednesday and Thursday. I'll try to fly it this weekend and get a look before I head up again.

Had to cut many trees to get to my spot. River is high. Bypass the log jam buy staying to the left just past the slough, there is water to the left and come out just below Masons place. Or just go though it and at the top past Winthers place it's changed alot. Have fun picking your way though that. Both time's I've been up that shot the rivers been in two different places. Tuesday night had to jump logs.

GS

Quote Originally Posted by GlacierShaker View Post
    They are not there as of Wednesday and Thursday. I'll try to fly it this weekend and get a look before I head up again.

Had to cut many trees to get to my spot. River is high. Bypass the log jam buy staying to the left just past the slough, there is water to the left and come out just below Masons place. Or just go though it and at the top past Winthers place it's changed alot. Have fun picking your way though that. Both time's I've been up that shot the rivers been in two different places. Tuesday night had to jump logs.

GS
    I was up at 108 mile last weekend. How far up did you go?

I plan to head up there tomorrow, will be in a 19' Lowe with a honda jet, should be interesting to see how the river has changed over the last 5 years. I made it 75 straight line miles from the bridge then, and saw a caribou on the river. Good luck and if you need help I will stop and help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    I was up at 108 mile last weekend. How far up did you go?
    I did 120. I had to cut about 4 trees down to get up the river. The channel just to the left of the white wall tent. I think that is right about 108 right? Still no bou's