Thread: Haul Road Report

Default Haul Road Report

Just returned last night from hunting on the north slope. The good news is there were no bugs. The bad news is that all we saw were small groups of cows and calves scattered from Happy Valley north to Pump Station 2. The weather was typical with high wind and fog rolling in out of the north east around 5 p.m. daily and clear blue starting about 10 a.m. I saw more sheep and muskox than caribou this trip and more muskox than bull caribou. Either the herd is still on the coast or going east to the Canning. It's been a few years since I was up there, but not much has changed, there were a lot of hunters, and we only saw one that had taken a bull from the road. No-one along the river had any luck as of yesterday. Gas in Coldfoot was about $5.70 a gallon. Hope this information helps someone heading north. Good hunting.

Thanks for the info! We will be heading up on the 21st, was not sure about the gas in Coldfoot. Hope the bou start moving soon, my buddy was up about 2 weeks ago and said there were a bunch of bou but was not able to get close enough to feel comfortable taking the shot. I have a few buddies up there right now, I will post if they had any luck when the return. I will post our info when we get back around the 26th. Thanks again!

My buddies went up on Wednesday and had 2 nice bulls down first thing Thursday morning. They took the 5 mile walk and ended up about 6 miles in when the shot the bulls. They were the only 2 around and didn't see any other bulls before they left on Friday. They did say there were NO bugs! So thats a plus.

Right now gas is quite a bit cheaper at the bridge than Coldfoot.

Default bou

We returned from our float hunt on the Ivishak on Friday, two different troopers stopped to check us along the river. Both said the same thing, the bou seem to be about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. No bugs and cool windy weather are not forcing the bou to move to river bottoms. They are heavily scattered all over, no bunches just ones and two's and very small groups of cows with calves. Very few big bulls, tough year

Default Thanks

Thanks for the report.

I will stop and get gas at the bridge, before we press North.

We did not have any bugs last year either. Is it possible to have a bug die off?

I heard from a couple trappers up there that they did not get a single wolf. Any word out of Fish and Game that the wolf is declining in the Brooks?