Thread: haul road in July

Default haul road in July

Does anybody know how good the numbers of boo are around the road in late July into the early part of Aug. Is it true the later you go the more there are.

It can be good or bad. But one thing I can tell you is the bugs will be in full force. All the bou will be in velvet. I usally go to the haul rd. first or second week of Aug.

PYarcher - It can be highly variable. We went up last year during the second week of August and saw plenty of caribou. The week before we were there, or so we heard, there was nothing to be seen, but during the last week in July we heard that they were all over the place. Those caribou are always moving, and are mostly unpredictable. There are some trends over time, but you never know. My guess is that you'll find caribou, but that they'll be pretty far north. We found them around Happy Valley last year, but they're usually farther north (Franklin Bluffs?) around the end of July. You never know...

-Brian

Default haul road bou

I am headed up around the Franklin Bluffs the beginning of August. Can you describle the landscape better to me and how is the walking? Is the ground soft or is it harder ground? Alittle overview of the land would be greatly appreciated to prepare for walking and camping.
    Thanks, Scott
    PS also recommendations for boots!

Default caribou

Flat at parts with rolling hills. TUNDRA, Some parts hard as a rock and smooth as a sidewalk but for the most part It's Tundra!!!!! It can be wet or dry. It's depends where you are. Somtimes you don't have to walk far out for the Caribou due to them being next to the road. And other time you might have to go a little ways to hunt them. I have shot caribou right next to the road and as far out 6.5 miles off the road (I was with gun hunters on the 6.5 trip)

Default tundra boots

Thanks, for some insight. Anyone out there suggest a pair of boots that has worked well for them on the tundra.

Default Boots

I like the Xtra Tuffs Boots for Tundra work. Not too uncomfortable for walking, but I keep something better for a camp boot at the end of the day.

While Xtra tuffs are great for walking through wet stuff, if you're going to do much hiking you'll want something far more substantial. I helped a gun hunting buddy pack his caribou out from 5 miles last year, but even on the 4 days I was bowhunting near the road I was walking 5-6 miles a day doing stalks and such. I have a pair of Lowa (GTX, I think...but they make lots of great boots.) Basically, I'd get a fairly beefy set of hiking boots that have a gore-tex liner. Having a pair of rubber boots like the Xtra Tuffs would be nice too, as some of the area out by the Franklin Bluffs are pretty marshy.

Another bit of advice: Don't lock yourself into one area. We thought we were going to go to the Franklin Bluffs too, but found that there were way more caribou around Happy Valley when we got there. Be prepared to move based on caribou location. If you don't see much for a day or two, cruise the road in another direction and talk to other hunters. It pays to be mobile and adaptable. As such, it's hard to say what the walking will be like. Marshy and wet out towards the Bluffs and beyond, hard and hummocky (little tiny ankle-rollers) up in the hills. Oh, and NOTHING to hide behing in most places. I got within 40 yards of caribou on my belly many times, but had a heck of a time getting to where I could draw my bow without spooking them. It sure was a blast, though.

Good luck!

-Brian

Agree with BM 100% Be prepared to move. Also be prepared for poeple around too. It is a good idea with you see a caribou near the road or coming that one guy stays by the truck and hopefully is another group of hunters show up your buddy can tell them that there is someone on that caribou alreay.
    Some people loose sight of what's going on when they see a caribou there. A truck parked near that caribou never draws a question to if someone might be on that bou already. Lucky for me that I have never had a stalk blwon yet buy another group of hunter but had friends stalk blown while I was watching. i flashed my headlights at them but like I said they were only foucused on the bou only.
    Anyway you will have a great time up there. don't forget to bring a rod with you. When the bou are gone fishing can kill time to the show up again.