Thread: Good Time Frame for Griz Hides?

Unhappy Good Time Frame for Griz Hides?

A taxi initially scorned me for shooting a black bear as late as I did (June 25th ish) in the 08 season. After the taxi took a look at the condition of the hide and how the fur was holding, he was surprisingly satisfied and agreed to tan it. I'm heading out for a hunt on 1 Sep…I respect his experience and knowlege, so I gave him a call. He indicated to me that he would not shoot a bear until the end of Sep due to condition of fur on the hides this time of year. Can I get some 2nd opinions on this topic.

Bottom line, I prefer not to waste my time, my money, or bear's life.1) Is there a time frame in which a bear should not be harvested for its hide...
    2) what should I look for on a bear before dropping one so that I do not get back to civilization and find no-one will tan it?[/font]

Not to insult your intelligence but...bears grow a thick coat in response to the approaching winter. The best time to shoot a fall bear is as late as possible if a nice hide is your goal. It's been my observation that blackies generally have a full coat by mid September, depending on location and general weather. With this summer being as cool as it has the bears may be fully furred earlier.

Good luck.

*Edit* same thing applies to brown/grizzly too but they typically den later. I'd wait until early October for a griz. Glass packed gravel hillsides for dens under construction and river bottoms for bears looking for last minute calories.

First I would shoot griz because they are way overpopulated in most areas. As long as they arent bald on the sides a taxi will usually take them. They have beat down the moose/ caribou herds...so shoot away I say. Also this year has been pretty cold and I would dare to guess they will be getting really furry sooner. Good luck!

I shot a blackie at the end of August 2 years ago and the hide looks great on my wall. The hide would have been thicker if it was a month later in the year, but it had no rubbed or thin spots.

A friend shot a blackie a month ago, July 12, while we were scouting moose. Once again, good hide, but would have been thicker in Sept. The bear walked by us twice at 30 yards so we were able to get a good look at the hide before pulling the trigger.

I don't know how differrent grizzley hide's are but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bear the beginning of Sept. I'd just take some extra time to study him and pass on anything marginal.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    A taxi initially scorned me for shooting a black bear as late as I did (June 25th ish) in the 08 season. After the taxi took a look at the condition of the hide and how the fur was holding, he was surprisingly satisfied and agreed to tan it. I'm heading out for a hunt on 1 Sep…I respect his experience and knowlege, so I gave him a call. He indicated to me that he would not shoot a bear until the end of Sep due to condition of fur on the hides this time of year. Can I get some 2nd opinions on this topic.

Bottom line, I prefer not to waste my time, my money, or bear's life.1) Is there a time frame in which a bear should not be harvested for its hide...
    2) what should I look for on a bear before dropping one so that I do not get back to civilization and find no-one will tan it?[/font]
    according to my cameras the bears that visit my place in clear are still very ratty... it has been cooling at night but no significant changes in them yet... i dont know how to get the photos on here yet still getting there.. i got a great bear down tonsinia river this june not sure i would take one of these guys in the next few weeks...

Default Decision

I’ve decided to just fill the freezer with moose/bou for now and hold off a while for hide hunting. Maybe fly over to 16b for a late Sep. brown bear or hit Valdez next spring. Thanks for the input from all.