Thread: Knife Sharpener???

Default Knife Sharpener???

Ok so its sad to admit this but I don't own a knife sharpener as I've also ran Cutcos just send them back to the factory for sharpening. However, I have a few misc. knives that need some work. It'd it to be somewhat nice and last me forever and also able to take afield if needed. Thanks for the suggestions.

My recommendation is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's nearly idiot proof, stands up to hard use and there is nothing to rust or worry about. The entire set can be packed within itself and tossed in a bag or pack.

You can sharpen conventional blades, serrated blades and shears. You can set up the stones to sharpen at a steeper angle to remove the back-bevel and reshape an edge for more efficient sharpening resulting in a sharper blade. The stones even have grooves on one side to sharpen fish hooks, awls and ice picks.

One thing I'd recommend and that is to puchase the diamond stones when you buy the Sharpmaker. They make reshaping and knocking off the back-bevel much easier and faster especially if you're working with harder steels.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

They can be had a little cheaper than the price at the Spyderco site. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse for a little over $60.
    Now what ?

I have a Lansky sharpening system. Had it for years and have been happy with it.

The Spyderco mentioned below sure sounds nice too.

I second the Sharpmaker.

Default Pyranta

I know this won't help with the assortment of knives around (I own a Gatco system) but I've goneto the Havel (Pyranta) knives for field work. No more blades to sharpen (and I hate sharpening knives almost as much as I hate cleaning rifles). Just pop off the dull blade and replace it with a new one.

Default Best Sharpner

Check out www.alaskabowhuntingsupply.com he has the best, most convenient, long lasting sharpner around.
    You can make a butter knife sharp enough to shave hair.

Default Lansky

Been foolproof for me.

I like my lansky. I got the clamp too so I clamp it to a table and am able to sharpen as sharp as I want. The system is vey foolproof.

Those "less than ten dollar" plastic handled ones have been my sharpener of choice for years. I have used stones, sticks, belt sanders, grinding wheels, and by far the quickest, easiest to use for me have been the ones like the Smith's Jiff "V" Sharpener sold by Bass Pro Shops. You can look it up in their online catalog at the link below to see the style, and most stores have them in their sporting goods sections. The pros are that they are cheap, light, have a non-slip handle, and quickly return an edge to your blade. I have one that I bought over ten years ago on a whim, and I recently flipped the carbide blades on it and it still works like new. They are good tools to keep handy and I have several around the house.

http://www.basspro.com

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    Check out www.alaskabowhuntingsupply.com he has the best, most convenient, long lasting sharpner around.
    You can make a butter knife sharp enough to shave hair.
    Hey man, you sure thats the right web addy? The link provided isn't very helpful...

Default Lansky and back up

I use a Lansky system for sharpening at home and carry on of those Bass Pro V sharpeners in the field for touching up blades while in use. That way I don't have to carry multiple knives afield for skinning that big moose or filleting 30 salmon, just swipe it through the v after each fish or when the skinning starts getting tough and wallaa, fresh edge for the next cut.
    Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I really like the Lansky, simple, effective, lasts a long time. The neat thing is that once you get the angle honed on you can touch up a blade in less than a minute.

Default sharpener

I bought a hunter honer sharpener at the Sportsmans show last year, and have been quite happy with it so far. I think it was around 15 or 20 dollars. Worth a look.

http://www.hunterhoner.com/

Jake

Which angle are you Lansky users going with?

Default Correction ....

'Scuse me all to _ell'..... the correct link for a great sharpener is..... www.alaskabowhunting.com

The guy that owns it is an ex Anchorage paramedic and an avid hunter...

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    My recommendation is the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's nearly idiot proof, stands up to hard use and there is nothing to rust or worry about. The entire set can be packed within itself and tossed in a bag or pack.

You can sharpen conventional blades, serrated blades and shears. You can set up the stones to sharpen at a steeper angle to remove the back-bevel and reshape an edge for more efficient sharpening resulting in a sharper blade. The stones even have grooves on one side to sharpen fish hooks, awls and ice picks.

One thing I'd recommend and that is to puchase the diamond stones when you buy the Sharpmaker. They make reshaping and knocking off the back-bevel much easier and faster especially if you're working with harder steels.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

They can be had a little cheaper than the price at the Spyderco site. I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse for a little over $60.

I've used a number of sharpeners and stones and this system is by far the easier of them all with the best results. It's a bit spendy, but most good equipment is. I love being able to shave with the knives I sharpen with this system - that is my test for an edge; it has to take hair off my arm.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Another Lansky user. I use the 25* setting on most of my knives. 20* on my caping knife.

Another convert to the alaska bowhunting supply sharpener. Works GREAT. Just tie a piece of surveyor tape on it so you don't lose it in the field.