Thread: Little Susitna Coho proposal

Default Little Susitna Coho proposal

I have an idea for a proposal which I think would be the cats meow. What do you think?

Silver salmon bag limit to be three fish with no releasing of silver salmon allowed. You must stop fishing when you keep a bag limit of salmon other than king salmon.

--

According to many the silver salmon mortality rate of released silvers is between 40 and 70 percent.

Allowing the three fish limit and no releasing of silvers would actually cause less silvers to be killed while allowing more to go home rather than floating down the river bottom from being released. The fish are already being killed why not have them go to the freezer.

Default beat that one to death

That horse is dead. Either you are wrong or you are right LOL....the troopers will cite you anyway - you know how they inforce the intent - and it will cost you more time off work to fight it than to pay the fine - but I guess if you have the time..........

A bit late now with the EO anyway.

I suggested something similar for Kenai Kings....mandatory retention of first fish and then must stop fishing. This moves people off the River reducing habitat loss, pollution, crowding and so on. It could help prevent genetic proportionality issues resulting from tageting and harvesting the biggest Kings and releasing all the smaller ones to spawn. And of course it would reduce pre-spawn catch and release mortalities.

Probably apples and oranges to the Little Su Coho's, but same concept.

Bullelkklr,

This is a new thread and a different subject it makes no mention of the other fiasco in the fishing forums.

What is right or wrong about this idea.

Your post is confusing.

Do you like this idea or not?

--

Grampyfishes,

Those are even more reasons for doing it.

I agree - it would be difficult to enforce as there is little F&G presence on the rivers but it would be a good start.

The current practice is to keep one silver and then keep releasing silvers til you get a Chum or a very large silver.

I think the silvers are already being released. If so many die like is widely believed then we could up the limit to three and with none allowed to be released there would actually be less killed.

--

Also there are not very many reds chums or pinks caught.

The board routinely states up to 400 silvers caught per 10 or less chums usually 5 or less reds and 1-2 pinks.

To me catching the rare chum pink or red is not worth releasing any silvers.

--

There are many Susitna River streams available which have better catch and release waters.

--

The enforcement is willing and on site. And well equipped with spotting scope and such. He is a nice guy to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The current practice is to keep one silver and then keep releasing silvers til you get a Chum or a very large silver.
    I'm curious to hear from others if that is the current practice they employ. For myself, I take my two coho and stop fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    I'm curious to hear from others if that is the current practice they employ. For myself, I take my two coho and stop fishing.
    I do too and I think that most people do - and are dang happy about it. This is especially true during the years it is tougher to catch fish. And, in the scope of things, this is when it matters the most. While is sickens me to think there are scores of fish morally wounded going down stream, it would seem that they are inconsequential losses this year as the system is flush full of fish.

Default coho

My clients catch 2 then stop, My family catches 2 then stops. Most people down there do. The little Su has lots of chums and pinks in there, the board only shows the ones people keep. Miller is one of very few who have their mind set on taking one home.

I would love the idea of catch any 3 salmon let none go and you are done, but then what do you do with the nasty ones you wade through at the end of the season?

Bill

One of you on here that said you catch two and stop, I have seen land six beach them and release them all. Maybe you have started a new thing for this year. Most likely you have already landed and released over 100 silvers this year.

--

What to do with the nasty ones?

That is an awesome question. This is why it may not work.

--

I spent a bit of time last night (to nearly 2AM) talking with a very good friend about this proposal. He told me all things will be considered before it would be accepted.

Enforcement for not fishing after three silvers will be no different than the current enforcement of not fishing after keeping three other salmon like it is now.

--

I dont have my mind set on taking a Chum home. I have already said I have not released a single silver myself this year. I have caught all my Chums before my second silver or I only caught Chums. I have released a couple Chums and Pinks. I believe last night I brought home silver #50 out of 12 trips (3 person min per trip). So even using my own numbers We only get about a 9 to 1 ratio of Silvers to Chums or Pinks.

If anyone has a better idea lets here it.

The only way it can be enforced is if a trooper visually watched you catch your three fish limit and in what order they were caught. No other proof besides that.

this is always a sensitive issue...and it has certainly come up before, in the context of Kenai kings and probably elsewhere.

On first blush (pun intended), yes it would be difficult to force folks to retain fish later in the season that well colored and not the best eating.

But, why would you prohibit catch and release fishing? I'm definitely not a C&R zealot, and I usually harvest them as I catch them...but sometimes I don't keep everything I catch. You're essentially telling pepole that they can't go fishing unless they're going to harvest.

Also, I think the mortality estimates may be a bit high, for many circumstances. Most fish...and particularly silvers, are quite susceptible to C&R mortality when they're caught as they make the salt-to-fresh water transition...use of bait can be an issue, too. Fish caught out in the saltwater, when they're still feeding are also vulnerable, especially if they're netted and shed a bunch of their scales. I think after they're in the fresh water for a bit and "harden off", then the mortality rate goes down.

Default I agree

[QUOTE=MRFISH;322285]You're essentially telling pepole that they can't go fishing unless they're going to harvest.[QUOTE]

Seems to me that if we are going to go this direction with sport fishing we should all just put down our rods and pick up some gill net.

It would take the "sport" right out of sport fishing in my opinion.

There are other fisheries that dont allow releasing fish.

I thought at one time it was illegal to release silvers in the Little Su. I cant find my regs though. I used to have the regs for every year back to 1984 the first year I came to Alaska.

---

As has been mentioned before the reason to prohibit catch and release is because most of the silvers that are released die anyways. At least as is believed by some. There are definatley some that die. I have seen four floaters myself. I know some die when they break the line and then get the line tangled in the trees.

If they are dying anyways why not take them home?

We could take more silvers home while killing less fish.

--

To me This proposal has too many holes in it. The main bulk of the run is in late August and that is when the proposal would do the best good but that is also when there are a lot of chodes handing off the fish that came in July.

--

I just thought of this proposal after hearing talk of how many silvers die after being released. I thought that if so many people believed that then maybe they would be up for keeping more silvers while killing less silvers. The run would get bigger and the freezer would get fuller or fill faster as to save precious gas in this recession and the depression to come.

--

Maybe it would be best to add to the regs:

A person must stop fishing when two silvers are retained.

Many people already practice this and an emergency order can always up the limit if there is a big run.